AVS Forum banner

10121 - 10140 of 10165 Posts

·
Registered
7,162 Posts
Here's my RabbitEars link:

https://www.rabbitears.info/searchmap.php?request=result&study_id=34748

My antenna is "Antennas Direct" indoor/outdoor, costs $100 when I bought it 10 yrs ago, looks kinda like this one, except there's no black rod at the top and no stand, it's just the figure 8 part and a grill:

https://www.amazon.com/ClearStream-...ocphy=1025530&hvtargid=pla-323258090106&psc=1

RabbitEars requires you to enter 13 ft minimum off the ground but my antenna actually sits on the floor leaning against the wall in a corner of my bedroom, this gives me the strongest signals of any placement in my apt, including hanging from the wall. I have only one tv.

I'm only interested in the 4 networks and PBS. I get good reception about 95% of the time during winter but during the summer it's more like 70% of the time.

Thanks much for any suggestions!
The antenna you have is the Clearstream 2 which is good for UHF. But you need the version referenced with the VHF dipole called the Clearstream 2V or Clearstream 2MAX. Because 2 major Columbia stations for ABC and NBC are VHF, channel 8-WOLO and channel 10-WIS. There is a new version of the Clearstream 2MAX on sale at Walmart for $69. And the higher gain UHF version Clearstream 4MAX is sold at Best Buy, with an increase in UHF gain but the VHF dipole is about the same. An amplifier may or may not help depending upon signal strength and location. But Antop sells adjustable gain amps on Amazon which is nice to fine tune the gain level so you don't overload.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Because 2 major Columbia stations for ABC and NBC are VHF, channel 8-WOLO and channel 10-WIS. .

Yes, tylersc is correct..We at WOLO are on channel 8 now..but after we repack around July we'll be on channel 7. Anyone want a deal on two very nice channel 8 transmitters?

·
Registered
30 Posts
This was my first post to AVS Forum. Does it not allow you to go back and edit?

Of course, I meant "anything is going there".

·
Registered
30 Posts
Is WOLO-25 doing transmitter maintenance or running at reduced power this morning? I live within sight of the transmitter, but cannot get it with my rooftop antenna. I was able to yesterday and days before. Granted, it is a UHF-only antenna (using as a placeholder until my Televes Ellipse Mix comes in), but I am so close to WOLO that it's never been a problem before. WIS-10 is fine. UHF antennas work fine for VHF as long as you're within blowtorch range of a VHF transmitter.

Looking forward to getting that Televes antenna up and running. They're supposed to be among the best.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Does anybody have any information on which station is going to be the "lighthouse" for ATSC 3.0 in Columbia? WZRB-47, despite its quirky transmitter over on Cushman Road (once used by WACH-57 and, before that, WLTX-19 back when it was WNOK), would be a logical choice --- lower power and reach than the other Columbia stations, and they could just run Ion on 47.1, get rid of those subchannel networks that are duplicated on WKTC-63 anyway, and ditch the shopping channels.

Any news?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Is WOLO-25 doing transmitter maintenance or running at reduced power this morning? I live within sight of the transmitter, but cannot get it with my rooftop antenna. I was able to yesterday and days before. Granted, it is a UHF-only antenna (using as a placeholder until my Televes Ellipse Mix comes in), but I am so close to WOLO that it's never been a problem before. WIS-10 is fine. UHF antennas work fine for VHF as long as you're within blowtorch range of a VHF transmitter.

Looking forward to getting that Televes antenna up and running. They're supposed to be among the best.
I think you’re going to like the Ellipse. Ive been bragging the last week that I have the DAT BOSS LR and love it. It has a great preamp and the Televes individual preamps are great too. I’m not far across the county line in Horry and get 57, 63 and 19 most of the time as the sunsets and into the next morning and sometimes during the day and the towers are 88 miles from me (I can get VHF but haven’t taken the time to but that antenna back up). I can get Charleston which is 75 miles and that solid and so is Wilmington at 60. The last few nights Columbia has been strong with help from the conditions and a great antenna!

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
they could just run Ion on 47.1, get rid of those subchannel networks that are duplicated on WKTC-63 anyway, and ditch the shopping channels.
The reverse is going to happen, down the road those channels will only be on WZRB 47.x. The reason for the duplicates is because Scripps now owns Ion, so they are moving their Katz networks to the Ion stations so they no longer have to pay 3rd party broadcasters like WKTC's owners and Gray to carry their channels, which they started to do at the end of February with the shutdown of Qubo, Ion Plus and Ion Shop in favor of the Katz networks that have non-exclusive deals locally. Also HSN and QVC will likely be leaving this summer to make room for two new diginets from Scripps featuring programming from A&E's networks.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The reverse is going to happen, down the road those channels will only be on WZRB 47.x. The reason for the duplicates is because Scripps now owns Ion, so they are moving their Katz networks to the Ion stations so they no longer have to pay 3rd party broadcasters like WKTC's owners and Gray to carry their channels, which they started to do at the end of February with the shutdown of Qubo, Ion Plus and Ion Shop in favor of the Katz networks that have non-exclusive deals locally. Also HSN and QVC will likely be leaving this summer to make room for two new diginets from Scripps featuring programming from A&E's networks.
That couldn't happen a moment too soon for me. Maybe I'm just being obtuse, but who shops from home on TV in the year 2021 when we have everything imaginable online, Amazon, eBay, Walmart, Target, and more retailers besides these, than can possibly be named? I wouldn't mind some free A&E networks' programming one bit.

Wonder what WKTC will do, then? I'd like to see them add Univision, which en mi opinión is a superior network to Telemundo. Maybe carry both and have a shared Spanish local newscast on both stations? (I am not Latin but I can basically understand simple Spanish, and I use these networks to sharpen my proficiency, such as it is.)

·
Registered
30 Posts
I think you’re going to like the Ellipse. Ive been bragging the last week that I have the DAT BOSS LR and love it. It has a great preamp and the Televes individual preamps are great too. I’m not far across the county line in Horry and get 57, 63 and 19 most of the time as the sunsets and into the next morning and sometimes during the day and the towers are 88 miles from me (I can get VHF but haven’t taken the time to but that antenna back up). I can get Charleston which is 75 miles and that solid and so is Wilmington at 60. The last few nights Columbia has been strong with help from the conditions and a great antenna! View attachment 3118666
You've whetted my appetite for the Televes Ellipse mix. I got this instead of the DATBoss to stay within the safer interpretation of the one-meter OTARD rule. I get along well with my HOA and I want to keep it that way --- don't know how well-versed they are in OTARD (probably not at all), but several homes have satellite dishes and/or DTV aerials, and I've never heard of it being a problem. But a massive Winegard log-periodic or a parabolic reflector (assuming you could find one) would probably get someone's dander up. They are in the main older folks (a naturally occurring retirement community of sorts) who have very definite attitudes about what property is supposed to look like, and who promptly took their rooftop antennas down when cable came to town. There was a whole generation that did precisely that --- saw them as "eyesores".

So far as I can tell, WOLO's signal was fine, my antenna was just being finicky like Morris the Cat. It is a Stellar Labs corner reflector yagi, from which I removed the long director portion (row of bowties), as the ones on the end got broken off in a storm (the mast bent and crashed to the ground), thereby knocking it down to 31", well within OTARD. It hasn't been the best performer, but it does the job until I can get the Televes back up. I am even toying with the idea of making new bowties myself, and attaching them to the beam where the ruined bowties were attached. I have some aluminum in the garage (salvaged drain pipe) and might be able to hammer it out, cut it to the same size and shape as the original bowties, grinding down the edges so they won't be sharp and ragged. (I though I heard the Red Green theme just now... :p) The Stellar Labs antennas have cheap, flimsy elements, but the price is right, and sometimes, all you want is an antenna.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
The shopping channels pay commission on sales via the unique phone numbers overlayed on the feeds. So they have to be doing something right for them to still be around almost 40 years later, otherwise they would lose their carriage due to the lack of commission coming in. Even the ABC O&O's added HSN or QVC this past week.

WKVC doesn't have any expiration dates listed in their ownership filings, so I have no idea how long their duplicates will last, while WIS's contract for Bounce was last renewed prior to Ion's sale to Scripps, so it might be a while before that moves.

·
Registered
231 Posts
The shopping channels pay commission on sales via the unique phone numbers overlayed on the feeds. So they have to be doing something right for them to still be around almost 40 years later, otherwise they would lose their carriage due to the lack of commission coming in. Even the ABC O&O's added HSN or QVC this past week.
Today QVC was running a three hour special promotion on a treadmill. My wife even ordered one! The on air announcers/presenters asked viewers to be patient with the phone lines for ordering. They said they were averaging 500 units sold per hour. My wife asked me to help her get one ordered. I bypassed the TV station's commission by going to QVC.com and ordering for the same price. The website wasn't bogged down.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Today QVC was running a three hour special promotion on a treadmill. My wife even ordered one! The on air announcers/presenters asked viewers to be patient with the phone lines for ordering. They said they were averaging 500 units sold per hour. My wife asked me to help her get one ordered. I bypassed the TV station's commission by going to QVC.com and ordering for the same price. The website wasn't bogged down.
Okay, I'll take both of y'all's word for it, home shopping is just not my thing. I've been retired for four years (three if you count a short gig I did in insurance accounting), worked 18 years before that in a soul-crushing job (weekend? - what's a weekend?), and divorced for 14 years, so I guess my exposure to other people's television viewing and recreation preferences has been kind of sheltered. Also, I don't shop for entertainment or enjoyment, I just buy what I need (or, in the case of antenna equipment, "strongly want") and that's the end of it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I’m not far across the county line in Horry and get 57, 63 and 19 most of the time as the sunsets and into the next morning and sometimes during the day and the towers are 88 miles from me (I can get VHF but haven’t taken the time to but that antenna back up). I can get Charleston which is 75 miles and that solid and so is Wilmington at 60. The last few nights Columbia has been strong with help from the conditions and a great antenna!
Your situation with Columbia is almost identical to mine with Charlotte, within a few miles of the same distances, though you're on the coastal plain, whereas my Charlotte signals have to bounce off ridgetops on their way here, knife-edge propagation. I have WBTV-3 and WCNC-36 from around 5 pm until 7-8 am the next morning, and WNSC-30 Rock Hill 100% of the time (though it's SCETV and duplicates what I get on WRLK-35). WSOC-9 and WCCB-18 are rare occurrences, though they're actually about 10 miles closer. WJBF-6 and WRDW-12 are available nearly 100% with the proper antenna, anxious to see how they do with the Televes. I also get WBTW-13 some mornings. I lived in Myrtle Beach 1996-1997 and still enjoy watching the news from there (all licensed Florence stations are, for all practical purposes, now MB stations), my parents stayed there 10 years after I left, and I went there many weekends.

·
Registered
7,162 Posts
Your situation with Columbia is almost identical to mine with Charlotte, within a few miles of the same distances, though you're on the coastal plain, whereas my Charlotte signals have to bounce off ridgetops on their way here, knife-edge propagation. I have WBTV-3 and WCNC-36 from around 5 pm until 7-8 am the next morning, and WNSC-30 Rock Hill 100% of the time (though it's SCETV and duplicates what I get on WRLK-35). WSOC-9 and WCCB-18 are rare occurrences, though they're actually about 10 miles closer. WJBF-6 and WRDW-12 are available nearly 100% with the proper antenna, anxious to see how they do with the Televes. I also get WBTW-13 some mornings. I lived in Myrtle Beach 1996-1997 and still enjoy watching the news from there (all licensed Florence stations are, for all practical purposes, now MB stations), my parents stayed there 10 years after I left, and I went there many weekends.
I think the height advantage may help you pull in WBTV and WCNC, even though they are further than WSOC and WCCB. Bit in the far eastern fringes from Charlotte from Wadesboro to Rockingham, WSOC and WCCB may be stronger in that direction. And as you are aware, you would also probably sometimes receive WJZY if they were not on the same frequency as WZRB from Columbia. And I guess you are just out of range for any Greenville-Spartanburg stations.

And the great advantage of the Televes antennas is the built in preamp with automatic gain control. But if you are still too close to strong signals causing overload, the Televes antennas will still perform even if the amp is unpowered, as it does not block the signal like some preamps would do. This gives you a choice of adding a distribution amp further down the line if necessary.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I think the height advantage may help you pull in WBTV and WCNC, even though they are further than WSOC and WCCB. Bit in the far eastern fringes from Charlotte from Wadesboro to Rockingham, WSOC and WCCB may be stronger in that direction. And as you are aware, you would also probably sometimes receive WJZY if they were not on the same frequency as WZRB from Columbia. And I guess you are just out of range for any Greenville-Spartanburg stations.

And the great advantage of the Televes antennas is the built in preamp with automatic gain control. But if you are still too close to strong signals causing overload, the Televes antennas will still perform even if the amp is unpowered, as it does not block the signal like some preamps would do. This gives you a choice of adding a distribution amp further down the line if necessary.
Thanks for the good tips. The Televes is supposed to arrive today. I have already been surveying my patio area to find the best way to put it up. I am going to try to find some way to fasten the mast to the eaves, as it comes up from the tripod (feet of the tripod sunk in concrete-filled cinder blocks, amazingly stable). I have one of those loops (I don't know the "technical" name for it) that I found on the parking lot at Lowe's, I have mounted it on the fence post to hold a mop and broom. It's the kind of thing, that I'll know it when I see it, either Lowe's or Harbor Freight has to have it, or something like it. I have already told my son that if he'll help me move my solar panels (100w on sale from Harbor Freight) and put up the Televes, I'll give him homeschool science credit for it. The solar panel installation manual is his science text for today. Harbor Freight would bankrupt me if I didn't approach it carefully.

Are you saying that the Televes does not strictly need to be amplified, that it will pass through signal even if you just drop a cable from the unit down to the TV installation? I tried to resurrect an old Winegard amp, but without a signal meter to measure dB, I can't really do a "before" and "after" with it, and using my Panasonic HDTV signal meter is cumbersome. I may take it over to my other house and use it on my "antenna farm" over there (hidden from street view by the house itself and by trees, that's where I had my old parabolic reflectors from Hesco and the log periodics from Radio Shack, the latter providing a sweet spot for WLOS when I had two of them mounted slightly out of phase, which seemed to be precisely what the WLOS signal wanted). That's where I take all of my junk antennas. Once I get the Televes up, I may take my Stellar Labs corner reflector UHF yagi over there, put the reflector boom back on, and mount it on the mast that I have sunk into a poured concrete block. Like Tinkertoys for old retired antenna guys.

10121 - 10140 of 10165 Posts