AVS Forum banner

10141 - 10160 of 10165 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
WLTX-19.5 is now Twist, which is supposed to be a women-oriented lifestyle and DIY channel. So far it seems to be Canadian shows, they showed pillows with an outline of Canada on them, another show showed state funding (the Canada wordmark) in the credits, and on the show that's on right now, I can hear the subtle intonation difference that you will often hear on Canadian programs. I don't think the female emphasis is uniform --- they're now showing some guys building patio decks. Kind of like Red Green with better fashion sense 🇨🇦🤠 (“If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.”)

All of these digital subchannel mini-nets are okay --- the combination of MeTV, Decades, Cozi, and GetTV more than makes up for not having TV Land --- but I wish someone would come up with a bona-fide, professional 24-hour news cycle channel, kind of like CNN without TDS (Trump Derangement Syndrome). NewsNet does a nice job for what it is, with the resources it has, but not to be unkind, but it broadcasts out of an LPTV station in Cadillac, Michigan (?!?!?) for crying out loud! I mean, I'm sorry, but it's just kind of dinky. I've so far been more impressed with NewsNation on WGN, and wouldn't mind seeing this go the subchannel-net route.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Thanks for the good tips. The Televes is supposed to arrive today. I have already been surveying my patio area to find the best way to put it up. I am going to try to find some way to fasten the mast to the eaves, as it comes up from the tripod (feet of the tripod sunk in concrete-filled cinder blocks, amazingly stable). I have one of those loops (I don't know the "technical" name for it) that I found on the parking lot at Lowe's, I have mounted it on the fence post to hold a mop and broom. It's the kind of thing, that I'll know it when I see it, either Lowe's or Harbor Freight has to have it, or something like it. I have already told my son that if he'll help me move my solar panels (100w on sale from Harbor Freight) and put up the Televes, I'll give him homeschool science credit for it. The solar panel installation manual is his science text for today. Harbor Freight would bankrupt me if I didn't approach it carefully.

Are you saying that the Televes does not strictly need to be amplified, that it will pass through signal even if you just drop a cable from the unit down to the TV installation? I tried to resurrect an old Winegard amp, but without a signal meter to measure dB, I can't really do a "before" and "after" with it, and using my Panasonic HDTV signal meter is cumbersome. I may take it over to my other house and use it on my "antenna farm" over there (hidden from street view by the house itself and by trees, that's where I had my old parabolic reflectors from Hesco and the log periodics from Radio Shack, the latter providing a sweet spot for WLOS when I had two of them mounted slightly out of phase, which seemed to be precisely what the WLOS signal wanted). That's where I take all of my junk antennas. Once I get the Televes up, I may take my Stellar Labs corner reflector UHF yagi over there, put the reflector boom back on, and mount it on the mast that I have sunk into a poured concrete block. Like Tinkertoys for old retired antenna guys.
I hope the Televes delivers great results for you. For me, height is critical. Yes you can unplug the power supply and signal will still pass. I did that yesterday and while I still had signal I lost 8-10 SNR.

It’s funny you mentioned Hesco. There was one off Seaboard in Myrtle Beach I used to shop at. I went in one time and the real nice gentleman that ran it said they were closing. I purchased an Antennacraft preamp and I was asking about the deepest fringe antenna he had and he gave me a brand new P7 just to help get rid of inventory. I still have it! I couldn’t remember if the Columbia location closed at the same time but he was one cool dude.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I hope the Televes delivers great results for you. For me, height is critical. Yes you can unplug the power supply and signal will still pass. I did that yesterday and while I still had signal I lost 8-10 SNR.

It’s funny you mentioned Hesco. There was one off Seaboard in Myrtle Beach I used to shop at. I went in one time and the real nice gentleman that ran it said they were closing. I purchased an Antennacraft preamp and I was asking about the deepest fringe antenna he had and he gave me a brand new P7 just to help get rid of inventory. I still have it! I couldn’t remember if the Columbia location closed at the same time but he was one cool dude.
Hesco was the greatest, basically Radio Shack without the neckties, your address in the computer, and the hard-sell mobile phone tactics. Not a thing pretty about the place, but did they ever have the equipment! I once went to Hesco in MB (lived there 1996-1997), and the guy there told me, in comparison to the Shack, "we don't fool with that s**t, we ain't that fancy". I got three UHF 7' parabolic reflectors at the Columbia Hesco (down behind the Township Auditorium) for $60 a pop, used two until weather took them down, sold the third on eBay, wish I hadn't, you can't get them anymore. The absolute best type of UHF antenna there is. The Hesco here in Columbia also had VHF antennas cut specifically for channel 3, no doubt to pick up the deep-fringe signal that WBTV put into Columbia at the time, possibly even leftovers from when UHF was still new, some people didn't fool with converters, and preferred to get easier-to-receive and easier-to-tune stations from Augusta, Charlotte, and possibly even Florence and Charleston. When WBTW-13 still had their transmitter in Florence, they had significant viewership in Kershaw County. The licensed-to-Florence (but now de facto Myrtle Beach) stations, 13/15/21, all consolidated their transmitters near Hamer and South of the Border, probably a bit too far east for anything west of Lee County. If I can ever get my antenna out to Camden (I keep a GE VHF/UHF reflector antenna in my trunk, along with a tripod, a small DTV set, and a power inverter in my trunk for DX adventures on the road), I'll see if any Florence/MB stations are still easily received out there. You're on kind of an elevation, so it might be a possibility.

·
Registered
30 Posts

Got the Televes today, and have only now gotten it put together at 11 pm. Crazy day, my car broke down on me, I spent most of the afternoon on and near the parking lot of the Harbor Freight on Two Notch Road, waiting on my tow truck (thank God I invested in an AAA membership at the end of last year, it paid for itself several times over just today) and getting a taxi home ($13 with tip). The car is in the shop and I'm driving my father's vehicle. It may be new car (or new-to-me, good used car, Carmax possibly) time.

The Televes Ellipse Mix is not quite as easy to put together, as they would have you believe. The instructions are poorly-defined visuals and you kind of have to figure it out as you go. There's also a small "fear factor" that you are going to break the parts as you snap them in. One of the directors wasn't in all the way, it was uneven, and I had to apply pressure to even it up with the rest, being careful not to bend it. I am not going to use the little coaxial cable "boot" they supply, at least not now. One thing I found amusing, and I have noticed this throughout all the Televes documentation I've read, is that you can tell there's something just a little "off" about the translation from Spanish, it's a little bit like "Polandballs", the meme cartoons where you have crude drawings of various countries' flags made into something resembling a cross between South Park and Pac-Man, accompanied with broken English that is trying to follow the grammar of the native language. As my son's mother is native-born Polish (he is a Polish/EU citizen himself), we have a running joke along the lines of what Polish directly translated into English would look like (e.g., "of the washing of the hands" for "wash your hands"), and the Televes instructions have just a little bit of what Polandballs has a lot of.

Here are the pictures (yes, that's a SpongeBob alarm clock, long story, let's just say I inherited it from my son):

"Resistant to the passage of time"... "To the distance and strength of the transmitter"... and orography? Yes, dealing with mountains, but I had to look that one up. Obviously a direct translation from the Spanish orografia. Again, just something a little "off", not wrong, not incorrect, just something that tells you know that the translator was not a native English speaker. Not nearly as bad as some of the instructions printed in China. Some of those are virtually incomprehensible.

It's almost 11:30 pm here, and obviously, too late to put it up tonight. I eagerly await what tomorrow will bring.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Got the Televes today, and have only now gotten it put together at 11 pm. Crazy day, my car broke down on me, I spent most of the afternoon on and near the parking lot of the Harbor Freight on Two Notch Road, waiting on my tow truck (thank God I invested in an AAA membership at the end of last year, it paid for itself several times over just today) and getting a taxi home ($13 with tip). The car is in the shop and I'm driving my father's vehicle. It may be new car (or new-to-me, good used car, Carmax possibly) time.

The Televes Ellipse Mix is not quite as easy to put together, as they would have you believe. The instructions are poorly-defined visuals and you kind of have to figure it out as you go. There's also a small "fear factor" that you are going to break the parts as you snap them in. One of the directors wasn't in all the way, it was uneven, and I had to apply pressure to even it up with the rest, being careful not to bend it. I am not going to use the little coaxial cable "boot" they supply, at least not now. One thing I found amusing, and I have noticed this throughout all the Televes documentation I've read, is that you can tell there's something just a little "off" about the translation from Spanish, it's a little bit like "Polandballs", the meme cartoons where you have crude drawings of various countries' flags made into something resembling a cross between South Park and Pac-Man, accompanied with broken English that is trying to follow the grammar of the native language. As my son's mother is native-born Polish (he is a Polish/EU citizen himself), we have a running joke along the lines of what Polish directly translated into English would look like (e.g., "of the washing of the hands" for "wash your hands"), and the Televes instructions have just a little bit of what Polandballs has a lot of.

Here are the pictures (yes, that's a SpongeBob alarm clock, long story, let's just say I inherited it from my son):

View attachment 3119838

View attachment 3119839
View attachment 3119840

"Resistant to the passage of time"... "To the distance and strength of the transmitter"... and orography? Yes, dealing with mountains, but I had to look that one up. Obviously a direct translation from the Spanish orografia. Again, just something a little "off", not wrong, not incorrect, just something that tells you know that the translator was not a native English speaker. Not nearly as bad as some of the instructions printed in China. Some of those are virtually incomprehensible.

It's almost 11:30 pm here, and obviously, too late to put it up tonight. I eagerly await what tomorrow will bring.
Hate to hear about your car troubles! There’s nothing like stumbling through an antenna assembly at the end of a rough day to make you feel better! I actually used a YouTube video that Solid Signal had produced for the LR version. I didn’t realize the Ellipse was so compact but there was a forum poster out in the Bay Area (I think) raving about some of the long range performance. In some cases it’s all about location, location, location. I look forward to the results.

·
Registered
62 Posts

View attachment 3119838

View attachment 3119839
View attachment 3119840

Btw, actually flew mine from Lubbock, TX and it didn’t get a scratch.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The Televes is up! I finished the project shortly after 7 pm tonight. Here's how it looks, about 15 feet above ground level facing Augusta:

Stations received so far via autoscan:

WJBF-6
WIS-10
WRDW-12
WLTX-19
WOLO-25
WRJA-27
WRLK-35
WZRB-47
WACH-57
WKTC-63

The antenna is very directional, and pointed towards Augusta, the Columbia stations have anywhere from 50%+ signal strength, receiving all of them except WRLK and WZRB off the side and back. All in all, 50 different program streams. I deselected all the home shopping channels, duplication of subchannel networks, WRJA which duplicates WRLK, and PBS Kids, so this leaves me with about 33 channels. I left up the main network feeds from WJBF (ABC) and WRDW (CBS/NBC/MYTV). WRDW-MYTV-12.3 is a completely different program feed from WKTC-63.1.

I am not disappointed in the least. What I need now is a working rotor, though with our other house sitting on the hillside between Charlotte and me, I'm not optimistic about those channels. Augusta is a nice little city, but given the choice, I'd rather get Charlotte. But WJBF and WRDW are good for pre-emptions of network and syndicated shows here in Columbia. WOLO does it all the time.

·
Registered
7,162 Posts
The Televes is up! I finished the project shortly after 7 pm tonight. Here's how it looks, about 15 feet above ground level facing Augusta:

View attachment 3120175

Stations received so far via autoscan:

WJBF-6
WIS-10
WRDW-12
WLTX-19
WOLO-25
WRJA-27
WRLK-35
WZRB-47
WACH-57
WKTC-63

The antenna is very directional, and pointed towards Augusta, the Columbia stations have anywhere from 50%+ signal strength, receiving all of them except WRLK and WZRB off the side and back. All in all, 50 different program streams. I deselected all the home shopping channels, duplication of subchannel networks, WRJA which duplicates WRLK, and PBS Kids, so this leaves me with about 33 channels. I left up the main network feeds from WJBF (ABC) and WRDW (CBS/NBC/MYTV). WRDW-MYTV-12.3 is a completely different program feed from WKTC-63.1.

I am not disappointed in the least. What I need now is a working rotor, though with our other house sitting on the hillside between Charlotte and me, I'm not optimistic about those channels. Augusta is a nice little city, but given the choice, I'd rather get Charlotte. But WJBF and WRDW are good for pre-emptions of network and syndicated shows here in Columbia. WOLO does it all the time.
Good results so far. I assume you have plugged in the power supply for the amplifier, and you see it has 2 outputs. And I would be curious if it could possibly pull in Charlotte at times, if you are able adjust the direction or add a rotor. You may be too far to see Florence or Greenville-Spartanburg. What type of TV or tuner are you using for the signal meter, and what is your zip code?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Good results so far. I assume you have plugged in the power supply for the amplifier, and you see it has 2 outputs. And I would be curious if it could possibly pull in Charlotte at times, if you are able adjust the direction or add a rotor. You may be too far to see Florence or Greenville-Spartanburg. What type of TV or tuner are you using for the signal meter, and what is your zip code?
After I got this message, I went out back and used the "hillbilly hand crank" rotor, also known as my right hand. I turned the Televes directly towards Charlotte, ran an autoscan, but got nothing but locals (lost WZRB) and WPDE-15 off the side of the antenna. WPDE was highly pixellated and I finally lost it altogether. I had an old Channel Master rotor that I attempted to resurrect, but it's dead. While they are a necessary evil, I don't like most rotors because they throw the mast off balance. That said, I would like to find a really light-duty (and, I would hope, not as heavy as the Channel Master, it's 15 years old and it's a boat anchor) rotor to use with the Televes. Ideally, I'd like to find a barrel-type rotor, such that it would slip right over top of the mast, then put the antenna mast down inside the top of it. That wouldn't throw the mast off balance. The Televes was really very lightweight and it was no problem at all, for me to handle it atop a 15' mast (three 5' pieces put together). But I have spent all the money I can justify right now. I really need to be able to clear the roofline. With Augusta, I have a straight shot down the street, so clearing the roofline doesn't make a difference. My ultimate dream is to get the Televes mounted on the chimney with a rotor, enough to clear the roofline but not outrageously enough to alienate the HOA people. Even if I could clear the roofline, that wouldn't get our house across the street out of the way --- it is like a wall between me and Charlotte. In the meantime, I suppose I will just have to content myself with Augusta network duplication and, of course, those times when crazy DX starts coming in. I'm anxious to see how the Televes handles a temperature inversion (extended groundwave) or, better yet, tropo. It may act like a madman!

BTW, my TV is an older Panasonic 43" HDTV, circa 2006, weighs a ton, but has an awesome picture and lots of features (no smart features, though, those hadn't been invented yet). It has a signal meter and the ability to tune individual channels, both analog and digital, such that when you tune to an unused DTV channel, and there is a signal, it will lock the signal and add it to your channel list. You can't set it yourself, as you can with the old Zenith voucher boxes, those are great for DX, you can manually set each channel whether you have a signal or not.

My zip code is 29223. Just put down my address as Sesqui State Park and that will be close enough to see what my idealized results should be. My son and I have thought about taking the GE antenna out to the top of the hill at Sesqui, to see what we can pick up.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Day 5 of the Televes, and it continues basically to satisfy. Pointed directly towards Beech Island SC (72 miles), I get WJBF about 95% of the time, and WRDW about 85% of the time. I have a plan to raise the antenna about 3 feet, that's not that much, but it's better than nothing. For reasons too complicated to go into, I cannot put it on the chimney with a rotor, though that is the ultimate goal. I have reinforced my free-standing tripod (each foot sunk in a cinderblock with poured concrete) with two more cinderblocks underneath the base where the mast rests, so it's pretty doggone solid.

Last night, I went out back and manually turned the antenna towards Charlotte (i.e., WBTV/WCNC in Gaston County) and got the following, aside from locals (I lost WZRB):

WBTV-3
WRDW-12 off the side, that was a surprise
WPDE-15 off the side of the antenna, remarkably solid until everything faded out
WNSC-30
WUNF-33 (just enough to show up on PSIP, no signal beyond that)
WCNC-36

Dumb question (or maybe not so dumb) about the Televes amplifier. It has two 75 ohm coax outputs. Am I correct in understanding that each output is free-standing, that is, if I hook up two receivers, will that in any way dilute the signal going out to each TV? Or is it more powerful if you just use one output? In the short term, I have a Zenith STB that is the gold standard among budget-priced FCC-voucher DTV converters, where DX is concerned --- you can set it on each channel individually, whether there is a signal on that channel or not. That way, when DX comes in, no rescanning required, and Bob's your uncle! :) I am going to run that into my VCR/DVD combination using RCA cables, that way, I can also videotape programs if desired. (Antiquated, I know, but at least it works.)

If, indeed, using both outputs doesn't split the power, I am flirting with the idea of drilling a hole in the floor and running coax under the crawlspace and back out to the Spectrum cable that runs to five different rooms in the house. If I do that, putting on a second in-line amplifier downstream from the Televes, between the Televes output and the Spectrum cable I plan to cut into, might be a plan. I am a large man, but my son is as skinny as a rail, and this might be a way to give him homeschool science or shop credit. Just a thought. Do, in fact, in-line amplifiers downstream from the Televes box "work right"?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Day 5 of the Televes, and it continues basically to satisfy. Pointed directly towards Beech Island SC (72 miles), I get WJBF about 95% of the time, and WRDW about 85% of the time. I have a plan to raise the antenna about 3 feet, that's not that much, but it's better than nothing. For reasons too complicated to go into, I cannot put it on the chimney with a rotor, though that is the ultimate goal. I have reinforced my free-standing tripod (each foot sunk in a cinderblock with poured concrete) with two more cinderblocks underneath the base where the mast rests, so it's pretty doggone solid.

Last night, I went out back and manually turned the antenna towards Charlotte (i.e., WBTV/WCNC in Gaston County) and got the following, aside from locals (I lost WZRB):

WBTV-3
WRDW-12 off the side, that was a surprise
WPDE-15 off the side of the antenna, remarkably solid until everything faded out
WNSC-30
WUNF-33 (just enough to show up on PSIP, no signal beyond that)
WCNC-36

Dumb question (or maybe not so dumb) about the Televes amplifier. It has two 75 ohm coax outputs. Am I correct in understanding that each output is free-standing, that is, if I hook up two receivers, will that in any way dilute the signal going out to each TV? Or is it more powerful if you just use one output? In the short term, I have a Zenith STB that is the gold standard among budget-priced FCC-voucher DTV converters, where DX is concerned --- you can set it on each channel individually, whether there is a signal on that channel or not. That way, when DX comes in, no rescanning required, and Bob's your uncle! :) I am going to run that into my VCR/DVD combination using RCA cables, that way, I can also videotape programs if desired. (Antiquated, I know, but at least it works.)

If, indeed, using both outputs doesn't split the power, I am flirting with the idea of drilling a hole in the floor and running coax under the crawlspace and back out to the Spectrum cable that runs to five different rooms in the house. If I do that, putting on a second in-line amplifier downstream from the Televes, between the Televes output and the Spectrum cable I plan to cut into, might be a plan. I am a large man, but my son is as skinny as a rail, and this might be a way to give him homeschool science or shop credit. Just a thought. Do, in fact, in-line amplifiers downstream from the Televes box "work right"?
I am glad to hear the results! There is no loss using both outputs. I am using 1 with the other terminated and the one output goes into a non amplified 4 way splitter with no problems. I have also been been testing the amplified 8 way splitter CM-3418 with the same results. It has a gain of 4 dB on each port instead of the 8 way normal loss. There’s about 150’ of cabling in my setup. Those CM distribution amps are pretty good in the experiences I’ve had with them and what I’ve read on the AVS Forum. The DAT BOSS LR has been working great here. Too bad it wasn’t up prior to the repack before the frequencies were so squeezed.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am glad to hear the results! There is no loss using both outputs. I am using 1 with the other terminated and the one output goes into a non amplified 4 way splitter with no problems. I have also been been testing the amplified 8 way splitter CM-3418 with the same results. It has a gain of 4 dB on each port instead of the 8 way normal loss. There’s about 150’ of cabling in my setup. Those CM distribution amps are pretty good in the experiences I’ve had with them and what I’ve read on the AVS Forum. The DAT BOSS LR has been working great here. Too bad it wasn’t up prior to the repack before the frequencies were so squeezed.
Thanks for your good comments. I had not thought of putting a terminator on the second output. I suppose I could check it on a weak channel (such as WJBF) while I have the built-in signal meter on the Panasonic open, and see if I have a stronger signal after I put it on.

Next question, and this just occurred to me a little bit ago --- what if I were to take both outputs #1 and #2, and combine them into one (using a two-way splitter/combiner), then feed that into the TV set's 75 ohm input? Would it increase the signal power any? I wouldn't want to do anything to damage the box. Please let me know. Terminating #2 isn't going to hurt anything, obviously, but could attempting to combine #1 and #2 shoot power back into the unit and possibly short it out or burn it up?

(I'd like to think the Televes instructions would warn the user not to do that, if it would be harmful to the unit, but as I noted above, their instructions are not the best --- their visuals are not at all clear, and are hard to follow --- not to mention their being a bit clumsy translation from Spanish.)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just put the terminator on output #2 of the Televes while tuned to WJBF with the signal meter on, and it made no difference one way or the other. I have noticed that WIS has minor difficulty sometimes "locking", given that the antenna is pointed directly at Beech Island, and WIS is coming in on the side of the antenna. As I said above, the Televes Ellipse Mix is very directional, but for some reason it picks up off the side as well, as I noticed last night when it was pointed at Dallas NC (WBTV/WCNC) and I picked up WRDW 120 degrees to the west and WPDE 90 degrees to the east. WOLO, which is also VHF and pretty much co-located with WIS (give or take a few hundred yards), comes in at 98% strength with the Televes pointed straight at WRDW/WJBF. WOLO has a very huge, "beefy" signal, their coverage area now probably rivals WIS. Little, perpetually third-place WOLO with a VHF blowtorch signal and a 2000-foot stick, who would have ever thought it?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Thanks for your good comments. I had not thought of putting a terminator on the second output. I suppose I could check it on a weak channel (such as WJBF) while I have the built-in signal meter on the Panasonic open, and see if I have a stronger signal after I put it on.

Next question, and this just occurred to me a little bit ago --- what if I were to take both outputs #1 and #2, and combine them into one (using a two-way splitter/combiner), then feed that into the TV set's 75 ohm input? Would it increase the signal power any? I wouldn't want to do anything to damage the box. Please let me know. Terminating #2 isn't going to hurt anything, obviously, but could attempting to combine #1 and #2 shoot power back into the unit and possibly short it out or burn it up?

(I'd like to think the Televes instructions would warn the user not to do that, if it would be harmful to the unit, but as I noted above, their instructions are not the best --- their visuals are not at all clear, and are hard to follow --- not to mention their being a bit clumsy translation from Spanish.)
I wouldn’t think the combination of the two outputs would help but thumbs up on the curiosity! There are some real good members on here who may jump in and can tell you exactly what that would do and also a couple of sharp Televes representatives that occasionally come on with advice. Columbia, Charleston and Wilmington are blowing in really strong tonight here.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I wouldn’t think the combination of the two outputs would help but thumbs up on the curiosity! There are some real good members on here who may jump in and can tell you exactly what that would do and also a couple of sharp Televes representatives that occasionally come on with advice. Columbia, Charleston and Wilmington are blowing in really strong tonight here.
You're down there on the coastal plain on the far end of Horry County, aren't you? I lived in Myrtle Beach 1996-1997 and got some serious DX (log periodic mounted on car port), all full-power Charleston, Florence, and Wilmington stations OTA, and DX comprised of that "big fan" from Jacksonville up to GSA, over to Charlotte and the Triad, then over to Raleigh and Greenville-Washington-New Bern. I saw Orlando and West Palm Beach a time or two. IIRC I once had WDBJ-7 from Roanoke. I was about three blocks from the ocean near North 48th Street.

·
Registered
30 Posts
You're down there on the coastal plain on the far end of Horry County, aren't you? I lived in Myrtle Beach 1996-1997 and got some serious DX (log periodic mounted on car port), all full-power Charleston, Florence, and Wilmington stations OTA, and DX comprised of that "big fan" from Jacksonville up to GSA, over to Charlotte and the Triad, then over to Raleigh and Greenville-Washington-New Bern. I saw Orlando and West Palm Beach a time or two. IIRC I once had WDBJ-7 from Roanoke. I was about three blocks from the ocean near North 48th Street.
We are planning to go to North Myrtle in August and I am going to try to get a high room at the Ocean Sands, and take my GE antenna and tripod.

·
Registered
62 Posts
We are planning to go to North Myrtle in August and I am going to try to get a high room at the Ocean Sands, and take my GE antenna and tripod.
Yeah it was fun getting all those markets and it sounds like you did pretty well there on the coast but now it takes the perfect weather. I used to get WTBS 17 on a good night. I’ll get up my VHF soon for DXing because high doesn’t seem quite as jammed as UHF in this region. I’m just outside of Aynor. Looking forward to the high rise results in NMB!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yeah it was fun getting all those markets and it sounds like you did pretty well there on the coast but now it takes the perfect weather. I used to get WTBS 17 on a good night. I’ll get up my VHF soon for DXing because high doesn’t seem quite as jammed as UHF in this region. I’m just outside of Aynor. Looking forward to the high rise results in NMB!
I think you're right, there is not all that much going on in the high-VHF band, compared to UHF. And low-VHF almost might as well not exist. In fact, I was thinking just today, if higher UHF channels are so desirable for mobile and other services, why couldn't they have kept VHF more populated (including channels 2-6) and terminated the UHF band, let's say, at channel 40 or thereabouts? I'm not clear to what extent low-VHF DTV has all that many issues. Back in the day, it was nothing for a channel 2 TV station to get out 100 miles. True, low-VHF antennas are considered ugly and ungainly by some, but would something like that have to be a deal-killer?

Incidentally, are you a WTFDA member? If not, you might consider it (wtfda.org). It's only $10 per year.

And on another issue entirely, I turned the Televes towards Dallas NC tonight, but am only getting locals, and I lost WZRB, the Morris the Cat of Columbia broadcasters --- very finicky as to how one's antenna is placed, to be able to pick it up.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The antenna is once again pointed towards Beech Island (fun fact for today, it's not an island, it was originally named "Beech Highland" due to the elevation, and that morphed into "Beech Island") and I am still getting WJBF and WRDW more or less consistently, though for some reason I lose WRDW on occasion. I am beginning to have my doubts that the Televes Ellipse Mix is all that effective for high-VHF. Even given that, I am impressed enough with the Televes products, that I am considering getting a DatBOSS mix for my other house, where I have sufficient cover, and a straight shot into Dallas NC (WBTV/WCNC), that I can mount antennas regardless of size or height, just so long as they don't clear the roof line (in the case of antennas >1m wide or long, a "bulletproof" interpretation of the OTARD rules that I adhere to, when my antennas are visible from the street). It as though my two properties are in separate media markets --- in the main house where my son and I are living now, I get Augusta but not Charlotte, but in the house up the hill, where my parents are staying during my father's illness, I get Charlotte (at least WBTV/WCNC) but not Augusta. Nothing against Augusta, I used to date a lady from there, and my cousins lived there years ago, also had a very close friend from Hephzibah, but if I had to choose between the two for TV reception, I'd choose Charlotte, due the the greater diversity of programming and "big city news". One "vibe" I get from Augusta TV news, is that it is a more sedate place, less crime than here in Columbia. We have shootings here almost every day, and if I am going to be out after dark, I pack heat (SC CWP). My user name means "I am for (the) 2nd Amendment", devout NRA member.

I have been watching Quest on WLTX-19.4 and it is the best network on TV! Lots of documentaries and the type of reality shows I enjoy --- Larry the Cable Guy's "Only In America" show is a hoot! I could live entirely on Quest, ETV World (get the PBS Newshour at 9 pm), and local news from WIS. Incidentally, the Televes Ellipse has a strong null in the direction of WRLK-35 when I point it directly towards Beech Island, I lose WRLK entirely and have to use WRJA instead. Too weird. I actually point the antenna about 10 degrees away from a direct bearing on Beech Island (around 245 degrees), and that way I have WRLK without losing much signal strength on WJBF/WRDW. The WRLK stick is within sight of my ridgetop.

I am going to see if I can budget for an RCA rotor next month, to use the Televes the way it's intended to be used. I have one such rotor at the other house, my 8-bay bowtie (Stellar Labs) is on it, and it works just fine. I really don't like those ten-degree gradations they have, I'd prefer to be able to calibrate in one-degree increments, but for $100, I'm not one to carp, and besides, you can always "nudge" the rotor even within those increments. The barrel-type rotors (such as ham radio operators use), where you don't have the antenna mast off-center from the supporting mast, are way out of my budget.

·
Registered
22 Posts
@IM42A You could always buy the Televes Avant X (North America Edition) and hook-up a second directional antenna; the programmable amplifier can filter what channels each antenna pulls in and can even reassign an RF channels onto different channels. It's pricey and couldn't tell you where to buy it, but it exists.

10141 - 10160 of 10165 Posts