AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I first built my room back in 2014 when my wife and I purchased our first home. Over the last few years nearly every component has been swapped out and I've made a lot of functional compromises to fit everything in with the current design. But now the carpet needs replacing so I decided it's a great excuse to clear everything out and start from scratch
. Here is my room 3 years ago as compared to now:
[iurl="http://www.avsforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2256441&d=1500921630"]
[/iurl]

[iurl="http://www.avsforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2256449&d=1500921663"]
[/iurl]

I have gone from a modest 5.1 NHT system hooked to an xbox to a full blown diy(almost) 7.2 system with 18" subs and running off a high end gaming pc that doubles as my htpc. The screen went from 85" blackout cloth to a 110" A.T. Seymour Center Channel XD. I left the receiver and everything except the PC behind the screen which has turned into a huge pain so that's getting moved. But without further ado, this is what i'm thinking as far as equipment goes:

Projector: JVC RS56
Receiver: Denon 4311ci
LCR: 3 Fusion 12 Tempest (I have 2 currently. I'm running the fusion 8 center currently but that was before I went AT so I want them to match)
Subs: 2 SI HT18 subs in a pair of Full Martys (I run
Side Surround : NHT SB3
Rear Surround: Volt 8
Sub Amp- Inuke 6000dsp
Sources- Xbox One, HTPC/Gaming system with water cooled 7700k i7 and a Nvidia GTX 1070, Directv Genie
Smart Home- Phillips Hue Color bulbs in the sconces
Remote: Harmony Elite

Attachments

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Text Line Design Parallel Diagram

The room is 12' x 22' long. There is a bathroom on the side which is why it gets cut off up front. This is the design I'm looking to go with.

Here is the carpet I have picked out:
Black Rectangle Floor Square Flooring

It's Active Spirit in Tuxedo Black by Mohawk

Here is the color scheme we chose:
Technology Rectangle Electronic device Label Square

Door Room Furniture Wardrobe Architecture

The plan is to add accent pieces to add pops of color to go with the black/grey

·
Registered
57 Posts
Nice!!! We had a TV setup for years then went to projection. Don't have room for a dedicated theater so converted the living room to a theater. No room behind the screen so we chose a Stewart Firehawk G4 and went with a JVC RS1, then changed to a JVC RS56 the last 4 years. Just got a Sony 675ES pj recently. Seems to be working out great so far.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Loudspeaker Subwoofer Audio equipment Electronics Sound box

Moving everything out for new carpet. Only a true addict would look at this and think it's time to upgrade!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Floor Architecture Room Flooring Tile

Room Furniture House Building Loft

Tearing up the carpet to paint the trim

Property Room House Furniture Interior design

The black will get done tomorrow. The grey is still drying but i love the color

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I like the color choices! ;)

Are you installing a window plug? are you going to do any acoustic treatments as well? especially on the back wall and the first reflections?

Are you planning to upgrade the receiver at some point? maybe want to consider installing ATMOS speakers, or at least the wires, while you are working on the room. just a thought.

Good luck..

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Are you installing a window plug? are you going to do any acoustic treatments as well? especially on the back wall and the first reflections?

Are you planning to upgrade the receiver at some point? maybe want to consider installing ATMOS speakers, or at least the wires, while you are working on the room. just a thought.

Good luck..
Thanks man! I did think of doing atmos but the HVAC system that cuts through my room would make running the wires an epic task so unfortunately that's probably out. I actually really enjoy my 4311 but I'll end up replacing it once I have a real need (4k source/atmos). It sends plenty of power to my speakers and has a ton of hdmi inputs and does airplay so that's really all I ask of it. I considered doing a pair of heights for the front but I figure the fusion 12's are so tall I wouldn't get much separation so I'm not sure how much impact it would make. My next house i'll be wiring something absurd 11.4.4 or something just so I never have to worry about it once the drywall is up :)

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Code:

Good luck..
Sorry didnt realize I missed a few of your questions. The front window does have a plug that I put in behind the false wall. As far as treatments go I have panels for all first reflection points and The back of the room has a very large thick set of drapes that blocks the windows and provides some absorbing capabilities. I also have Two large bass traps in the back corners of the room. I'm hoping to find a friend who has access to a cnc machine to help me mock up a couple of large diffusion panels as well. I had chad b out a while back and he gave me a pretty good direction as far as that all goes

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Property Room Architecture Floor Plumbing fixture

Room Property Ceiling House Wall

Got some good work done on the paint. A couple touch ups needed but I love the colors. A very modern look I believe

Trunk Vehicle Automotive exterior Car Bumper

Got the wood loaded up into my "work truck" for some Martys :D

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A special shout out to Stan-Lee for graciously agreeing to sell me his JVC RS56. Going to be a huge upgrade over my RS1

·
Registered
57 Posts
A special shout out to Stan-Lee for graciously agreeing to sell me his JVC RS56. Going to be a huge upgrade over my RS1
Thank you for buying it from me and I know it will bring much joy and pleasure in that theater!
That's odd funny that we started out with a JVC RS1 as well!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cardboard Box Audio equipment Carton Room

The size of the full marty was hard to picture until I started getting this beast together :eek: (side note I know its not the cleanest build of all time lol

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ceiling Light Lighting Wall Room

Just the projector hung with the new peerless mount. Almost certainly will have to make major adjustments but I won't have the screen up until Wednesday when the carpet comes in
Room Technology Furniture Electronic device Audio equipment

Full Marty #1 done. She's not pretty (unfortunately my cuts weren't 100% so I had to bondo the crap out of the joints) but sitting behind the screen I don't really care lol

Couch Red Furniture Sofa bed Loveseat

My displates have come in. For anyone on the fence about ordering these, they are crazy nice. The metal is really good quality and the prints really pop. I'll post more pictures when I unwrap them fully

Audio equipment Loudspeaker Technology Electronics Electronic device

Getting the Tempest finished up before inserting the drivers/ports

Subwoofer Loudspeaker Audio equipment Sound box Studio monitor

Tempest finished product

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Pretty Much Done Except the Seating (tomorrow)

I'll have more pictures when the seating goes in tomorrow but everything else is done:

Room Architecture Interior design Technology Photography

Property Room Technology Electronic device Furniture

Property Room Ceiling Technology Furniture

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Figured I could throw a few random pictures up from the last week

Audio equipment Loudspeaker Electronics Subwoofer Computer speaker

Behind the screen view. :D

Electronics Technology Games Neon Pc game

Got the gaming pc/htpc hooked back up. I was missing Kodi

Photography Portrait Flash photography Jaw

That sweet, sweet picture quality :p

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Finished Product

A little delayed but here's some pics of the finished product

Lighting Room Ceiling Metal

Room Display device Flat panel display Technology Electronic device

Here's some pics of the digital poster frame I installed. It uses the movieposter app to tie into my Kodi

Screen Multimedia Sky Technology Gadget

Poster World Games Soldier

1 - 18 of 18 Posts