AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Columia?? Why can't I edit the spelling in my topic?

I'm surprised there haven't been postings yet on this subject. Was going to....then got tired and figured somone else would. But this is I think interesting news and ought to perk up all big screen HDTV officionados. HD DVD players aren't here yet...but until they are, here is a new compression concept that apparently increases the image dramatically out of your trusty 480P player.

Reported in today's Daily Variety is that on Oct. 9, Columbia is going to introduce a new, higher resolution DVD line compatible with your existing player. Among its first releases are Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon; The Fifth Element, Air Force One, Johnny Pneumatic and Desperado.

You're going to lose most or all of your special features on these "videophile-like" DVD's and be charged more for the DVD ($27 range, even old titles). They are going to utilize all that additional memory not devoted to features to enhance the detail of the images, and the project panager, Marshall Starkman, is talking about the detail in costume design, using the term "hi def" in his sentence.

I inquired about this to a person in this area of expertise and in a position to know, and he says that a higher bitrate will being used in the transfer process. It should provide a "much better" picture...especially when a lot of processing has previously been used. Mentioned also in this kind of approach was the possible removal of some other factors from the encode path, coupled with the higher bitrate which will give a picture with little or no MPEG artifacting.

This may be 480P at its finest, and my friend's opinion was that the marketing plan will be interesting....(telling us how much better this is without saying too much bad about the DVD's they already sold to us)

------------------

Ron

[This message has been edited by RonF (edited 08-07-2001).]

·
Registered
3 Posts
the cynic in me would say that they are putting a spin on selling us DVDs with no extras and then charging us for the benefit! I mean, from what I've read they are using half-bitrate DTS which isant exactly 'superbit'

the cynic in me would also say why not release the DVD in a 2 disk set with additional features on the 2nd disk???

I just dont 'get this' PR at all.

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
I'd be interested to read more of the technical details of the process, I'm hoping we'll see things like:

- 8-10mbit/sec bitrate throughout the movie

- under the assumption that they will be played back on progressive scan, remove the vertical filtering that normally allieviates interlaced twitter

- no EE of course

Since the 3-pack boxset is the 3 movies I would normally pick of the 5, I'll probably be picking these up.

Andy K.

------------------

"L T One-Fifty

Did your light guide the wisemen,

to baby Jesus?"

·
Registered
304 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RonF:
I'm surprised there haven't been postings yet on this subject. Was going to....then got tired and figured somone else would
actually, it is because you looked in the wrong place ;-)

they are in the DVD & LD Software Forum

Go there to read a couple of threads, like:

http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum30/HTML/000343.html

[This message has been edited by bossmonkey (edited 08-07-2001).]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.