AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will have a 120" screen on a black wall...i want to put 2 columns on each side of the screen and stain them a cherry color (no gloss of course). My questions is, is this asking for trouble with glare causing hot spot and contrast issues?

·
Registered
157 Posts
I also have 2 columns on each side of my walls in a cherry stain color with no gloss as well. My room width is 14ft, my screen is only 63" wide, and I never experience any casting back on the screen or contrast issues. I will post pics of my room soon to give you an idea of where I am coming from.

Dan

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SondekLP12 /forum/post/16849494

I also have 2 columns on each side of my walls in a cherry stain color with no gloss as well. My room width is 14ft, my screen is only 63" wide, and I never experience any casting back on the screen or contrast issues. I will post pics of my room soon to give you an idea of where I am coming from.

Dan

my room will be 166" wide and my screen is 109" i plan to use 10" columns. Thanks for the help. Pics would be awsome

·
Registered
157 Posts
I am awful at taking good pics. My side walls are a Jasper Green and the screen wall is flat black.

Dan

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SondekLP12 /forum/post/16849529

I am awful at taking good pics. My side walls are a Jasper Green and the screen wall is flat black.

Dan

its hard to take good pics in a dark room...but it looks good. I just wanted to make sure that i wouldnt be creating any hotspots

·
Registered
27,722 Posts
Columns abutting the screen could provide an big reflection point if the speakers radiation pattern would hit them. This would be a big 'No No'. Moreover, flat paint or not, there will be light reflecting on them from the screen if the columns are too close.

Overall, I'd stay away from columns too close to the screen. Too many downsides for audio and video. I tried it myself. And my columns were wrapped with GOM flat black material. Still had annoying light halos from the screen reflection.

Here is how I did it. I eliminated columns in my theater renovation that previously abutted the screen. I did place columns ~5' forward of the screen but they are far enough back so as not to reflect a significant amount of light.

Screen Wall PRIOR to theater renovation (note the black columns abutting the screen).

Screen Wall AFTER theater renovation (note the black columns abutting the screen ARE GONE).

... And if you are serious about sound and get a Microperf, don't forget the baffle wall.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.