AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a pic of a column to hold my surrounds in my build thread, and it was recomended that I check in here for any additional comments or concerns.

Here is my post (modified because I made the opening 18", not 12" I originally drew):
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_pilgrim /forum/post/0

Carpenter wants my column design.

They will house Ascend HTM-200 speakers (Dimensions: 11" x 6.5" x 6.375")

Here is what I came up with. I assumed a ceiling height of 7'3" below the soffit might be a little lower (couple inches maybe). But, I'd take the balance out of the 5'6" height.

There will be 6 columns total, two without speakers, which will just be solid. I am thinking MDF, stuffed with insulation based on everything I have read. I may trim out later with crown ir the like. I will wrap them in expocloth. Did I miss anything?

Basic design (updated to 18" opening):

It was suggested that I give some driver info on the speaker. From the ascend website:

Quote:
Tweeter - (1) 1 catenary soft dome tweeter w/neodymium magnet, Ferrofluid cooled voice coil, wide dispersion faceplate, inherently shielded

Woofer - (2) proprietary 4" long throw polypropylene woofers, cast metal chassis, rubber surround, vented pole piece, shielded

Should I put a barrier between the open space where the speaker will be, and the balance of the column below to seal that?

Any other improvements I should make. One forum member suggested in a PM running 1x1's up the inside corners because MDF isn't great to screw to. Any concerns with this suggestion?

Will this column result in the speaker producing a bad response curve (in and of itself)?

No tips are too basic. Thanks,

·
Registered
357 Posts
I just went through with building my columns that will hold the Ascend speakers. I opted to use the HTM-200's for surrounds mainly because I didn't want my columns to be so deep. Most of the solutions I was looking at required atlest 10" depth. With the HTM's I only need 7" of depth.

Quote:
Should I put a barrier between the open space where the speaker will be, and the balance of the column below to seal that?

I used a shelf above and below the speaker opening. I filled both cavities with insulation per some of the other column design information from other sources.

Quote:
Any other improvements I should make. One forum member suggested in a PM running 1x1's up the inside corners because MDF isn't great to screw to. Any concerns with this suggestion?

I used 1x1's to build a three sided box. I then used 1x1's mounted to the wall to mount the column once it's finished. I'll use my brad nailer to permanantly mount the column to the 1x1's mounted on the wall. I used screws and glue and haven't had any issues with them holding.

My columns will be veneered on the bottom (36") and have GOM fabric on top (FR701).

Quote:
Will this column result in the speaker producing a bad response curve (in and of itself)?

I was told no. I'm only having one opening for the face of the speaker because the HTM isn't angled.

I have some pictures linked below.

Columns without speaker cutouts

Column1: http://www.spielmann.us/theater/column1.JPG

Column2: http://www.spielmann.us/theater/column2.JPG

Column3: http://www.spielmann.us/theater/column3.JPG

Wall Fabric with Columns / Speaker Cut Outs

Fabric: http://www.spielmann.us/theater/fabric.JPG

Fabric1: http://www.spielmann.us/theater/fabric1.JPG

·
Premium Member
4,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
JS -

Thanks for the response. I was thinking of modeling to 7" but was worried the clearances would be too tight.

I couldn't get your pics to open - got a 404 error. I'd be interested to see them if you get a chance to get them up (or e-mailed to my username at yahoo).

·
Registered
357 Posts
I apologize about the links. They're fixed.

I thought 7" would be tight as well, but I'll be having a removeable speaker frame so it should give me approximately another 1" because I was told by removing the grill on the HTM will give you another 1/2" of space.

·
Registered
357 Posts
My columns are actually 18" wide and 7" deep. We'll see as well. I'm getting to the point of no return. My GOM will be finished up this weekend and then it's on to the columns. I'm still not sure how I'm going to make the speaker grills.

·
Registered
989 Posts
In process of building columns to house surrounds (Seas 1333) and subs (TC OEM 10). Prototypes to be completed this week. (Just tested the surrounds - initial results good).

Surround columns will be 8"W x 5" deep. Oak veneer with fabric grills over the drivers. Grills from parts express - grill kits.

Sub columns (will have surround also - two rear columns) will be 12" Wide x 9" deep.

MDF construction. Only speaker volume sealed, the rest open with one or two braces to hold the width stable. Will use 1x1 mounting method discussed above. Top and bottom will be trimmed in matching oak hardwood molding.

db

1 - 7 of 7 Posts