AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know if you want to turn a stereo source into a mono one, you can twist the l and r cables together before they enter the speakers, but I have another question. I have a very complicated setup that I am trying to do, and I wont go into all of it now. I am trying to make it all as automatic and seamless as possible.

My question is, if I have two different sources (receiver/amp), and I twist the right cables from both sources together and hook them both up to the right speaker, and then I twist the left speaker cables together and connect both to the left speaker, what will happen?

My desired result it this, I would never be using both sources at once, but I want the speakers to work automatically with either source.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by prnoct90  /t/1471799/combine-two-sources-by-twisting-speaker-wires-together#post_23290922

if I have two different sources (receiver/amp), and I twist the right cables from both sources together and hook them both up to the right speaker, and then I twist the left speaker cables together and connect both to the left speaker, what will happen?
You will be taking a trip to the store to replace all the gear that you fried.

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
You need to buy a speaker switch, which will let you switch the speakers to the amplifier/receiver that you want to use.

And do the switching with both amplifiers/receivers TURNED OFF.

Doing what you proposed will damage the equipment.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.