AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone heard any news of an integrated box (DirecTivo + DVD Recorder) on the horizon? I don't want to gve up my two tuner Directivo box but want a DVD Recorder. A single unit would be cool!

Mark

·
Banned
1,145 Posts
I'm using a Pioneer DVR-510H-S and a Hughes DirecTivo series 2. The combination works as good as possible but I don't like the dual work doing dual recording. That is recording to Tivo first, then needing to record to the DVR-510.

Tivo's not perfect and this leads to troubles. Sometimes the audio stutters(which is fixed by reversing a bit) and also, after changing a channel (as for a timed recording), the tivo sometimes freezes for a split second up to 5 minutes after the channel change. If I do a parallel recording (at the same time) with the DVR-510, I don't want to record stuttering audio or that split second freeze. To overcome the freeze, I start the tivo recording about 10 minutes early to hopefully get that freeze out of the way before the DVR-510 starts recording. If the stuttering audio is present, I'm screwed and will have to re-record from the Tivo's hard drive. While the real time audio stutters, the recording is fine. It has something to do with buffering. I thought about ditching the Tivo altogether over these issues and go back to my RCA receiver, but I just like Tivo's abilities to much.;)

The other thing that's not the greatest is that Tivo won't turn itself on during a recording, after going into standby. Sony and Pioneer use Auto Start which is better and more reliable than an IR blaster. However you must use with a DBS receiver that turns itself on for a timer, and when that timer is done, then it must turn off. The Pioneer senses the signal, turns itself on, and then starts recording. When that signal disappears, it stops recording, and then turns itself off. The RCA would work perfect with this. Also Tivo doesn't offer an IR blaster but they're questionable anyhow as I've never had even 80% reliability from them.

I'm still trying to decide whether to go with a none tivo box to use with the DVR-510. Most likely stick with TIVO because I really enjoy it except for it's stupid scan that jumps back 1/2 a minute when you stop. That's pretty irritating as I have better luck with DVD players and VCRs in locating scenes. If Tivo fixed their search function, then they'd have an excellent product.

Don't know if this helps much but I don't think I'd want a DirecTivo/DVD recorder. If you want to upgrade your DirecTV receiver in the future, you may have to give up your recorder. I really don't like combo units except for the DirecTivo where it actually has VERY significant benefits over stand alone Tivos.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mike. I see your logic about the "combo unit". But, I must admit, the extra features that a single, integrated machine could have would be pretty compelling.

BTW, consumer electronics companies have challenges keeping everyone happy. Personally, I LOVE the feature that offsets my reaction time when fast forwarding/reversing (assuming that's what you mean). I am pretty darn hot with that button now (my wife has no clue - we generally end up watching something WAY off the target point :). I guess it wouldn't be rocket science for Tivo to add an option to turn this feature off.

Mark

·
Registered
1,438 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by newsposter
mark did you mean something like this:

http://www.pioneerburner.com/images/...r_Brochure.pdf

I'm pretty sure people in this forum have discussed it somewhere.
Almost :) I know there are a few DVD Recorder's/Tivo boxes out there (I believe Toshiba also offer this) but I want to stick with DirecTV and certainly require the two tuners I have come to rely on so heavily. Another factor is that I have the Total Premier (or whatever it's called) package from DirecTV, have two Tivo's already and don't have to pay any monthly fee for the full (not Basic) Tivo service.

So, the "perfect" box for me is pretty much what I have in my DirecTivo box right now - but with a DVD Recorder built in.

Mark

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I think 2 tuners plus dvd is a pipe dream

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by newsposter
I think 2 tuners plus dvd is a pipe dream
Out of interest, why (I am thinking specifically of a box that DirectTV might release).

Mark

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
FYI, both E* and D* have (in the past) provided equipment to digitally archive their content. JVC made a satellte receiver with integrated DVHS deck for E*. Hughes made a satellite receiver with firewire output and a standalone DVHS deck combo. I don't think that a Directv receiver with DVD recorder is necessarily a "pipe dream". Only time will tell.

Jay

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by jerndl
FYI, both E* and D* have (in the past) provided equipment to digitally archive their content. JVC made a satellte receiver with integrated DVHS deck for E*. Hughes made a satellite receiver with firewire output and a standalone DVHS deck combo. I don't think that a Directv receiver with DVD recorder is necessarily a "pipe dream". Only time will tell.

Jay
My guess is that the market won't "play ball" if DirecTV don't want to support this scenario. Obviously, it's quite possible today to take stuff from a DirecTivo box and archive to a DVD recorder. So, it's not like DirectTV has any control over whether this CAN be done - it's all a question of just how easy they want to make it. I hoping that the market will just force their hand, especially if cable companies release such a box.

Fingers crossed.

Mark

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by markwill
BTW, consumer electronics companies have challenges keeping everyone happy. Personally, I LOVE the feature that offsets my reaction time when fast forwarding/reversing (assuming that's what you mean).
You do realize you can turn the skip button (->) into a 30 second skip right?

While playing a recording, hit select-play-select-3-0-select

Now the skip button will be a 30 second skip. (But during FF, it will skip to tickmarks)

This is erased any time the Tivo reboots (power outage, new software), so you just

need to reenter the code.

It's a personal preference, but I 30 second skip far more than I FF through commercials. (for

a few specific breaks that I know are especially short, I will FF.)

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
It's better to combine DirecTV + TiVo in one box, and DVD recorder in another...

...than it is to combine Tivo and DVD recorder in one box, and DirecTV receiver in another.

You need two boxes either way, but DirecTiVo is superior to using DVD-TiVo to record DirecTV.

Follow that?

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
Translation:

If you already have DirecTV service, the DirecTiVo DVR is only $99, records 35 hours of programming, all programming is stored at the native broadcast quality, going losslessly from your dish directly onto the hard drive. And the $5 a month TiVo charge from DirecTV covers ALL your DirecTiVo boxes, and includes the premium subscription that includes "Season Pass" which automatically records all episodes of a series without duplicate recordings if repeat episodes are aired.

Again...$99...beat that.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Correct Tom Roper,

Bought one for the wife. She was not happy I spent the money on ANOTHER satellite / recorder / electronic thingy toy. I set it up to record a couple of her favorite shows everyday. 3 days later she says to me "honey, I have to admit it, this thing is WONDERFUL".

If the wife says that, it must be cool!!!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
One of the most significant features are the two tuners in our DirecTivo boxes. My brother (in the UK) has a single tuner in his Tivo box and is thinking about returning it because he doesn't use it that much. By comparison, when he visited at Christmas he was blew away by the extra utility offered by the two tuners. I actually have no idea whether regular standalone (not DirectTivo) boxes provide two tuners - but that's another thing I'd hate to lose.

Mark

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.