Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I know this is slightly of topic but I want to use this for watching live tv as well so...

I've just bought a Panasonic GS70 camcorder and used it the other day to film my Nans 80'th birthday. I plugged it into the firewire port of my HTPC and loaded Moviemaker. I recorded 15 minutes at the maximum quality AVI setting. When I play this back I get bad combing effects when people are moving.

What am I doing wrong. I cant believe that a £850 camcorder (with 3 x CCD's) would give such a bad output. Isn't using firewire the prefered method of transfering video off of a DV camera?

I know its not Moviemaket because a freind has the same problem with Adobe Premier. He said when he switches his cannon to prog scan mode to film with, he doesn't get the problem. A lot of DV camcorders aren't progressive scan so I can't believe thats the only answer.

Regards

Vic

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
It is the only answer... sort of. Your (and mine) camcorder are recording interlaced mode. So when viewed raw on a progressive scan computer monitor, you get the interlaced combing artifact. You would need to perform some kind of software deinterlacing on the video before it is displayed on the monitor to eliminate the combing.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hi,

I would suggest that you do a little reading on the terms progressive and interlaced to get the idea what is what and why.

As the poster above suggested the 'problem' is looking at an interlaced source on a progressive display. Watch your camera's output from a normal television set to see the interlaced signal is it should be seen.

If you are going to do editing on the computer and later copy the result either back to DV or to a VHS tape to be viewed on television sets, keep the original signal interlaced and ignore the 'artifacting' you see on the computer screen. If you are going to use the footage only on a computer then try deinterlacing it.

I would also suggest looking up deinterlacing and how to do it, since this also is a rather lengthy topic.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the confirmation.

I'm pretty well versed in the concepts of Prog scan and Interlaced images. Unfortunately I'm using a Plasma Screen and not a TV.

Would I be right i thinking if I converted the AVI as is to DVD video format that the interlaced mpeg2 video will be de-intelaced by WinDVD when I play the disc.

Regards

Vic

·
Registered
850 Posts
I deinterlace my dvcam movies when I master them with TMPGENC, and they play back very nicely on my systems.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.