AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I browse this great forum a lot, but dont often post.

I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on a task I am attempting to undertake which involves combining elements from 2 dvd versions of the same film, in order to create the best overall single dvd version myself.

Specifically, I would like to take the standard ac3 5.1 DD track from one of the dvds and take the Mpeg2 video from the other dvd and merge them.

I am aware of issues such as max 4.7Gb limit on recordable DVD media (I dont have a dvd burner yet anyway, but will get one in future) and am also aware of the max VOB file size limit of 0.99Gb per segment. Both DVDs I will be taking elements from are in NTSC so hopefully sync between audio and video will be a non-issue.

I am sure there are many other factors to take into consideration, could anyone enlighten me with info on any I may need to know about? Also, I have checked sites such as www.digital-digest.com and there seems to be quite a lot of freeware vob/ac3/m2v/ifo editting utils which I could use, but I have not yet researched enough to see what I actually need. Can anyone give me any recommendations or any suggestions in general with what I am trying to do? Is there something major I have totally missed that would not allow me to achieve my goal at all?

I would greatly appreciate any feeback, Im sure some of you have probably already done things like this so any info you can give me would be great! I understand there will be much I need to learn before I can achieve what I want to do, so some general pointers to help get me started would be wonderful.

Many thanks for reading my post!

Regards,

BAM;)

·
Registered
455 Posts
Sure, this is absolutely possible. In fact standard practice seems to be to separate the audio and video during ripping and put them back together during authoring. Mixing and matching as long as they are the same length shouldn't be a problem, and there are utilities to cut/pad to fit the right length. All the info is on www.doom9.org

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply - glad to see that its possible to do this ;)

Now, for the next step - I would like to find out if it would be possible to edit the mpeg2 video stream so that I could add in extra clips from another version of the films mpeg2 stream (ie kinda like putting in extra scenes that were cut from one dvd version, but present on another) - the format would be standard ntsc @ 720x480 res, however im not sure about interlaced/progressive encoding. Both would also be non-anamporhic.

Would it be possible to simply cut/join the mpeg2 video where required by using some type of software equivalent to the likes of VirtualDub? If so, can anyone recommend such a software util? Freeware would be preferable ;)

Thanks again in advance for anyones suggestions!

Regards,

BAM;)

·
Registered
258 Posts
mpeg2 is not edit friendly. Best to edit in avi if possible.

Adding extra video footage will require you to edit in the audio as well. This is not too difficult, although you'll need a very buff PC. Look at Adobe Premiere with an mpeg2 add-on such as Canopus.

I'd imagine that you would need 20+ free gig to edit the clips in avi, then recompress. Keeping the audio in sync after all such edits would be a great feat. Near professional level editing skill would be required.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.