AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to play around with a pair of RS double-bow-tie antennas to see what I can do to reduce multipath problems. Lo and behold, I found a perfect placement of both that gives me very strong signal, on all stations, even those that had severe multipath problems before. The placement - one about 8" behind the other, both pointing the same direction, etc.

Can anyone in the know explain to me why this is the case? I though that putting them sideways would be better for reducing multipath, but this placement seems much better.

Thanks,

Leszek

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
If the length of the coax connecting the antennas together is electrically equal to the distance between the antennas, signals arriving from the front will combine in phase and add. Signals coming from other directions will not have this in phase relationship and will be combined in a less constructive manner. This arrangement is superior when cancellation of signals arriving from the rear is desired.

Side by side antennas can also be combined in phase, but this arrangement doesn't provide much cancellation from the rear.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool. For anyone who's curious, Both of my antennas have the mod with the 300 to 75 Ohms transformer and are combined using two 4ft RG6 cables going into a combiner all from RS.

Thanks,

Leszek

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by AntAltMike
YMMV.

In fact, YM
WV!
No one's debating that. In fact, no one will debate that. :)

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Given the small size and price ($5 is the current selling price at RS if you can find it) of this indor antenna, for me it was worth experimenting with two of them and it payed off.

Leszek

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.