AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have thr Terk TV55 on my roof (I know bad move) With the Terk I was only able to get CBS. So after reading a lot of good things in the forum about the Radio Shack bouble bow-tie antenna, I firured I'd give that a try, since it would be a cheap investment. I put it in the attic and now I get ABC and FOX as well. All signals come in between 64-76.

I still cant get a good Signal on NBC or WPIX. So I was thinking can I combine my Terk TV55 with my RS bow-tie using a splitter?

Anyone think this is a good idea and would I need a special splitter, or would any slpitter do the trick.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Don't waste your time like I did. My path to receiving all available digital signal: initial cheap outdoor antenna -> moved it to optimal location -> larger antenna -> larger antenna with signal amplifier. The whole experience took two months. In retrospect, I should have gotten the best from the beginning. This way, I get all the current stations and am gauranteed that I will get all the future stations to come without having to worry about OTA. Good luck.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks rkim...

John

·
Registered
599 Posts
Yes you can combine them

if they are pointing different directions

Multipath will be a problem

to solve this use bandpass filters

------------------

Studio Broadcast Engineer

KET

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info link Ken,

John

·
Registered
572 Posts
You didn't mention what STB you're using. In the event it's a DTC100, be aware that there are dual antenna ins on it. I use them both.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Combining antennas like this is generally a bad idea. It will introduce many complex varibles into your situation, so that you're likely to end up with unstable, unreliable reception. Simple is better. You haven't provided enough specifics of your situation to evaluate the matter thoroughly, but in general combining is likely to increase multipath (which is deadly to HD reception). You may find the two antennas cancelling each other out, rather than assisting each other.

Use a high isolation A/B antenna switch (avail. from Radio Shack for $6 or so) to switch between the two antennas as needed and you'll avoid the combining problems. Or, as noted, if your tuner has multiple antenna inputs, use those.

Les

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have a similar setup. I use that crappy Terk for analog reception of 2-13 and a good bow tie for 14+. The pointer that Ken H gave has a good unit for this:

UHF – VHF/FM Joiner/Separator

Model 0549 (75 Ohm)

Joins any VHF/FM antenna and any UHF antenna to one downlead. Low loss, high isolation.

Input 1 54-216 MHz Loss 0.5 dB

Input 2 470-900 MHz Loss 0.5 dB

Isolation 30 dB

Hook the Terk on the input 1 and your bow tie to 2. The filters should keep the Terk from interfering with the bow tie and messing the digital channels.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
This is not as easy as it may sound. Unless you use bandpass filters and antenna combiners, the multiple signals could prevent you from receiving any DTV signals.

Channel Master has info on their web page: http://www.channelmaster.com/pages/cjs1.htm

------------------

"Better living thru modern, expensive electronics devices"

tm

·
Registered
144 Posts
I need to ammend my last note but want to be sure it is picked up as new info.

I finally got around to putting in a combiner for the crappy Terk-TV50 (no power or anything, just the dipole) to cover the local VHF and my 4 element Winegard bowtie for UHF.

I didnt get the Channel Master combiner, but a no-name brand at the local electronics shop. The combined signal contained too much crossfeed from the Terk and the signal quality of the digital UHF channels went down. Even the analog channel 44 station which I use to tell me how good my reception is (they share the same tower as most of the digital broadcasts, but at low power) truely sucked.

I disassembled the no-name combiner (it was $3 so not a great loss) and found it had 3rd order hi and lo pass filters, which I think should have been OK if tuned correctly. I didnt try to check that. I have given up on the VHF band and dumped the combiner and that Terk-crap antenna. Heck all the VHF except PBS is now on UHF digital here anyway and I stopped watching PBS because I can deal with commercials a lot better than all that whining about sending money.

·
Registered
750 Posts
wclark:

I'm actually running a setup very similar to yours. I'm having great success with it.

I have a Terk 55 and a RS double bow tie. I bought the cheap $5 combiner/splitter (2-to-1 or 1-to-2). In my case, the RS double bow tie was easily pulling in UHF DT channels 27 and 39, but not DT channels 19 and VHF 10. My Terk could be aimed to pull in 10 and 19 (usually balking at 27 and 39). Separately, the signals from the Terk would vary wildly (between zero up to 100 for channel 19). When combined (no band pass filters) I get 90%-100% signals that are steady in that range.

I'm using them both in my attic to pull in Atlanta DT stations. I live in a hilly, dense/tall treed area about 15-20 miles from the transmitters. One possible difference is that the transmitters are clustered and roughly on the same line (at least in the same general direction) from me.

I was very disappointed by the Terk initially (especially for $100), but it has been valuable for pulling in channel 10 and helps to pull in channel 19 (where the bow tie alone wouldn't). For reference, I have a Toshiba DST-3000.

I was anticipating that I'd have problems combining these (perhaps with multipath). But I don't. However, I do have both antennas near each other pointed roughly in the same direction (I have no idea if this matters).

------------------

-Jason

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Yes - I'm an antenna combiner. Let me describe what I have...

VHF antenna - CM 3614 Crossfire. Works Great for VHF, unfortunately, also does reasonably well on lower UHF (at least at my house)

UHF antenna - CM 3021. works pretty decently, but I need a pretty good pre-amp due to cable length considerations.

Each cable is individually run from the antenna mast into my attic. The UHF is the only one with a pre-amp. On the VHF cable, I have the following - 2 LFP380 (low-pass filters) and 1 6dB attenuator. Before I added the 2nd LFP380, I had 2 -6 dB attenuators - I've thought about buying a 3rd and take the last attenuator out. The output from the pre-amp and the filters is combined, then on down to my Sony MRDD1 multi-room distribution device. It didn't make any difference at all what kind of combiner I tried - they all have the same results.

I can definately tell if I don't kill enough UHF on the VHF side - multipath all but destroys UHF reception. I'd hate to see what happens when I get a DTV tuner and I'm not killing enough UHF.

------------------

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/csb/facts/otard.html

·
Registered
750 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jrq16:
I have thr Terk TV55 on my roof (I know bad move) With the Terk I was only able to get CBS...
jrq16:

I also have the Terk 55. Is yours mounted to the side of the house or chimney? Or, is it on a mast so that it can be rotated? Have you tried rotating it at all?

I ask these questions because my first impression was that the Terk 55 was supposed to be omnidirectional. My experience has been the opposite. For me, the Terk was extremely directional. Pointing it right at the transmitter made a huge difference. Actually, pointing it (the front) at the transmitter, then rotating it 180 degrees worked best for me (i.e., the back is pointed at the transmitter). So, you might actually improve your Terk performance if you can aim it. Of course, you might have already tried this...

------------------

-Jason

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.