AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just signed up for the DirecTV upgrade to HD Tivo Dual tuner DVR with the triple LNB multi satellite dish(101,100 and 119). I also asked for the international package which includes a separate dish(95). Does anyone have this setup and if so is the international dish a dual tuner dish(or even better 3 tuner dish since i have an extar receiver in another room)? This is because I want to option to watch international on both tuners of the DVR (in case one is recording). I also want to watch international in another room.

How did the installers use a multiplex switch to combine both the dishes?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
There are no tuners at the dishes, only at the receiver. The LNBs at the dishes gather signals from the different satellite positions. The multiswitch connects the receiver to the proper LNB. http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_disp...&PROD=SAM-6802 shows the multiswitch that will be installed. It will make all the satellite positions available at every receiver.

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
the dish pointing to the dtv international sat would need to have 2 lnb outlet so you could watch or record two channels from it at the same time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The installer uses a multiswitch to combine signall from 101, 110, 119, and 95. Thus, any cable run to your home from the multiswitch should be able to receive international channel.

For receiver to receive international channels, it has to be configure correctly. The installer must perform this task after the disk installation. In case he forgot, you have to do the dish set up on the receiver, SELECT 'AUTO CONFIGURE' instead of choosing 'ROUND DISH', 'OVAL DISH'. The process can take long time. Be patient and good luck.

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
The bottom line is, don't worry about it. The installation will allow every tuner to get every channel subscribed to.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dssturbo1 has me confused now.

If there is only one cable coming from the international dish into the multiswitch, would its LNB be able to tune to 3 different channels(2 for dual tuner and 1 for the extra room)?

I am hoping this is the case.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
There are only two physical satellite tuners on HR10-250 (or any DirecTiVo). And they need their own feed/cable (very different from receiving NTSC/ATSC/Cable TV).

The number of LNBs does not matter (you can tune to two different channels even with one LNB). LNB is just "translating" a frequency band into a different band. Actual tuning is done by the STB.

Hong.

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by virent
dssturbo1 has me confused now.
Dssturbo1 is the confused one. The reason for multiple LNBs is for accessing different orbital positions and transponder sets. One LNB can get all the channels for even transponders numbered 2-32 on the 101 satellite to 8 tuners through an 8 output multiswitch for example. The other LNB in the dual LNB in the same housing gets all the odd numbered transponders from 1-31. The other LNB housings pick up 110 and 119 degree positions. Other dishes are required for other positions.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by virent
I just signed up for the DirecTV upgrade to HD Tivo Dual tuner DVR with the triple LNB multi satellite dish(101,100 and 119). I also asked for the international package which includes a separate dish(95). Does anyone have this setup and if so is the international dish a dual tuner dish(or even better 3 tuner dish since i have an extar receiver in another room)? This is because I want to option to watch international on both tuners of the DVR (in case one is recording). I also want to watch international in another room.

How did the installers use a multiplex switch to combine both the dishes?

Thanks
I have this exact setup. If the installer does his job, all you have to do is tune to the channels you want to watch. I have 2 dishes, one for the regular channels (including HD) and the other pointing for international. There are 4 cables coming from the HD dish and 2 from the international. For me, they go into a 6x8 multiswitch, which is feeding 1 HD Tivo, 2 regular tivos and 2 regular receivers. On my end, the entire setup is invisible. You don't have to worrry about which signal comes from which dish, it's all integrated through the multiswitch.

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
not confused but understand where i may have worded it so it confused you.

I meant the the lnb has to have two outlets. As in 1 LNB that has 2 outlets that will allow you to watch/record 2 programs from that sat position. If it had one outlet you could only record/watch one program at a time. it needs two outlets to carry both the odd and even transponders so you can watch/record two programs at a time.

As the previous poster mentions that his international second dish has two cables running from the lnb to the multiswitch. it has one lnb with 2 outlets.

yes, the bottom line is that the installer should have it worked out for you. and you will be able to watch any combination of subbed channels you want.

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
If a dual LNB is required, it is because the orbital slot has both odd and even tps. 110 only has evens for example and is a single with frequency alteration also.

If the 95 degree slot has odd and even transponders and only a single LNB is used (which it wouldn't be), and we'll choose odd for this example, the effect would be:

No channels on the even transponders on 95 can ever be seen or recorded.

Two programs from any other source or combination of sources, including two programs from the odd transponders on 95 could be recorded at the same time. The only time one program could be recorded and the other couldn't is if one program was from any source except even on 95 and the other was from even on 95. The reason it's that way though is because nothing on even 95 can ever be seen and everything from any other source can always be seen.

Anyhow, an installer is not going to use a single LNB where a dual is required so why bring it up?

What I find unclear is why the Solid Signal 6x8 link shows a single line for each flexport going to a single LNB. Maybe the picture is just representing the two LNBs present in a dual LNB. If duals are required at 95W or 72.5W, what does a person do who needs international programming at 95 and locals at 72.5?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.