AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anyway to combine multiple DVD's into one? I.E. a Season that spanned 6 discs would appear as one disc in Media Center? I am not worried about menu's at all just dont want six icons per season. I have alot of sitcoms and that would severely make browsing for movies a PITA.

·
Registered
242 Posts
not really an answer but what I have done is use my movies in media center. With this you can add one main icon for the sitcom and then add multiple disks that you select once you are into the sitcom menu itself. Say for Scrubs you select scrubs and it goes to a submenu that that lists all the disks themselves.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
You could use DVD Shrink to do this. Re-author into one mega DVD and have it burn it to a folder.

·
Registered
22,351 Posts
Most any DVD authoring software will allow this if it also allows you to create projects larger than the target disc. I like TMPGEnc-Author for making custom menus, it will let you import as many discs as you wish into the project, but only the main titles. But if you don't create a menu, it will function as one large movie with many chapters.

·
Registered
32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktulu_1 /forum/post/12955421

You could use DVD Shrink to do this. Re-author into one mega DVD and have it burn it to a folder.

Yes, this is a very easy (and cheap) way to do it. However, chapters may work a bit oddly. Once you go past the end of one episode and into the chapters of the next, I don't believe you'll be able to hit "previous chapter" and backtrack into the prior episode. This probably won't be an issue with TV episodes. However, I recently wanted to combine the Lord of the Rings extended versions into single folders (each movie spans two disks) while retaining full chapter functionality across the disk break. Figuring out how to do that was not fun in the least.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by queequeg22 /forum/post/12958750

Figuring out how to do that was not fun in the least.

How did you do it?

·
Registered
32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by L33Tz06 /forum/post/12960883

Here is a guide on joining DVDs with DVD Shrink...
http://www.dvd-guides.com/content/view/46/59/

That method works fine as long as you don't mind the chapter problem I described above. To make chapters work seamlessly across the break where the disks are joined, you need to combine the VOB sets from both disks into a single set of VOB (which DVD Shrink doesn't do).

If you do a google search for "combine LOTR dvds", the top two hits are some doom9 forum threads. Read those for some freeware solutions. The solutions discussed are specific to certain dvds and I wasn't able to translate the general instructions to the LOTR disks.

I really like freeware approaches when I can use them. However, after two days of messing around with VOBedit and IFOedit, I quit and bought DVD Remake for $50 (there is a lesser version that should work for $35). After I had that program, it took me about an hour to sort through the method. The DVD Remaker instructions can be found here:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f112/help-m...c-menu-215461/

However, even those instructions don't prepare you for the problem of dealing with a dvd video stream that contains more than 9 vobs (which is what you'll get with each of the LOTR extended movies). Streams with more than 9 vobs are unreadable by standard readers after the ninth vob because higher numbers violate the 8.3 file name restriction. So you have to combine enough of the vobs to end up with a maximum number of nine. I found it easiest to use a DOS command line approach as specified here:

http://forum.doom9.org/archive/index.php/t-107742.html

The DVD Remake program also permits you to do a lot of other things as well, such as removing the transfer screen as the end of the first disk (prompting you to insert the second disk) and other little tweaks that really make it work like a single disk movie. Of course, this is really only appropriate if you plan on storing the results on a hard drive. I would hate to see what would happen if you compressed the movie enough to fit on a single DVD (even a double layer disk would be pushing the limits).

Good luck.

Jay

·
Registered
2,101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaLo6 /forum/post/12954310

Is there anyway to combine multiple DVD's into one? I.E. a Season that spanned 6 discs would appear as one disc in Media Center? I am not worried about menu's at all just dont want six icons per season. I have alot of sitcoms and that would severely make browsing for movies a PITA.

DVD Shrink, TMPGenc DVD Author, etc should be able to input each episode of a Season as a separate Title in a DVD structure. DVD Shrink will retain original chaptering in each episode Title, although I'm not sure if the other utilities do.

You can include up to 9 vobs per title (ie each title could be up to 9GB in size) and up to 99 titles per DVD structure, IIRC.

The beauty of DVD Shrink is that it can also strip unwanted streams from each input source and even compress the video further if necessary; however it has a disadvantage of no menus. A DVD Shrink construct will automatically continue playback of the next Title, when it reaches the end of the previous Title, but you can only navigate randomly between titles by using the "jump to Title" feature of the player.

Depending on how you intend to play the resulting DVDs, although it's not an approved part of the DVD spec, I understand it is possible to create vobs greater in size than 1GB, if the playback software can handle it. In the past I have created DVD structure for PC playback with 2GB vobs using Ifoedit. I'm not sure if this can be increased to 4GB/vob or even more. Have no idea how standalone players would handle this non-standard structure or even why anyone would want to do it, but it was an interesting possibility at the time. Maybe if one wanted to put many chapters in a single title and play as files from a BD-R disc, one could use 3GB vob sizes to get around the 9 vob limit. The mind boggles.

·
Registered
32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanD /forum/post/12964362

Depending on how you intend to play the resulting DVDs, although it's not an approved part of the DVD spec, I understand it is possible to create vobs greater in size than 1GB, if the playback software can handle it.

I've tried larger VOBs in a number of software players and have had no trouble (TheatreTek, WMP, Zoom, PowerDVD). Don't know about set top boxes, but, as you note, why would you ever have the need given the purpose behind this exercise?

Quote:

In the past I have created DVD structure for PC playback with 2GB vobs using Ifoedit. I'm not sure if this can be increased to 4GB/vob or even more.

Before trying to create files over 4GB, be sure you won't run into file system limits (which might be a problem if you use FAT16 or FAT32). If you're using NTFS, you shouldn't have any such problems.

·
Registered
22,351 Posts

Quote:

DVD Shrink, TMPGenc DVD Author, etc should be able to input each episode of a Season as a separate Title in a DVD structure. DVD Shrink will retain original chaptering in each episode Title, although I'm not sure if the other utilities do.

You can include up to 9 vobs per title (ie each title could be up to 9GB in size) and up to 99 titles per DVD structure, IIRC.

The beauty of DVD Shrink is that it can also strip unwanted streams from each input source and even compress the video further if necessary; however it has a disadvantage of no menus. A DVD Shrink construct will automatically continue playback of the next Title, when it reaches the end of the previous Title, but you can only navigate randomly between titles by using the "jump to Title" feature of the player.

Depending on how you intend to play the resulting DVDs, although it's not an approved part of the DVD spec, I understand it is possible to create vobs greater in size than 1GB, if the playback software can handle it. In the past I have created DVD structure for PC playback with 2GB vobs using Ifoedit. I'm not sure if this can be increased to 4GB/vob or even more. Have no idea how standalone players would handle this non-standard structure or even why anyone would want to do it, but it was an interesting possibility at the time. Maybe if one wanted to put many chapters in a single title and play as files from a BD-R disc, one could use 3GB vob sizes to get around the 9 vob limit. The mind boggles.

If you're using TMPGEnc-Author, there's no reason to use Shrink. TMPGEnc will import existing chapters for each title.

There is no restriction on VOB size other than the file system on the disc on which it resides. On DVD, that's 1GB, on HDD, no restrictions other than the file system.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts