AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you run a horn subwoofer from 20-30hz up to 80hz and combine that with a vented (or sealed) subwoofer system that runs from 5-10hz up to 20-30hz and then time align the two systems together, are you asking for huge problems?

These would not be co-located.

Is it at all do-able?

Please do not turn this thread into a discussion about distortion or horn vs. vented/sealed. That is NOT the topic of discussion.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
With time delay, I would think something like a front loaded horn could essentially be treated as a direct radiating source; assuming it`s a quality design.

A tapped horn though, that might be tricky although I don`t know the audible consequences.

Either way, it sounds convoluted tbqh.

·
Registered
7,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by killa12222 /forum/post/20788037

Should be fine i guess. I am running my tapped horn sub from 20 to 50hz and crossing over to my 6.5" t-line woofer with no major problems.

Good to hear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian /forum/post/20788149

I think with a sophisticated enough dsp/eq system (DCX or MDSP) you could get away with this. Obviously there will be some trial and error and you'll need a decent enough measurement system. Other than that, I don't see why you can't do this.

I do have MiniDSP.

I also expect MUCH trial & error/tweaking to make things work properly if/when I go this route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Velocity /forum/post/20788189

With time delay, I would think something like a front loaded horn could essentially be treated as a direct radiating source; assuming it`s a quality design.

A tapped horn though, that might be tricky although I don`t know the audible consequences.

Either way, it sounds convoluted tbqh.

What makes the T-horn more difficult to manage in this case, when compared to an FLH-horn?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerOmaha /forum/post/20788562

I'm going to try integrating 2-LilMike F-20s with my CHT 18.1 pair. Will see what happens. I have a DCX 2496 to utilize though.

Let us know how it works out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerOmaha /forum/post/20788562

gpbmc just let me know he has DTS10s (2?) with some CHT 18 subs and his is playing well.

"Well" or "perfectly"??

·
Premium Member
3,365 Posts
To my ears and everyone who has heard my system it's very impressive. My receiver has 2 separate lfe outs so that takes care of time alignment issues. Dts 10s are behind the LP and the cht 18s are up front.

·
Bass Enabler
21,719 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZ Eddie /forum/post/20789869

What makes the T-horn more difficult to manage in this case, when compared to an FLH-horn?

In a FLH all the acoustic content comes out of the mouth at the same time. In a tapped horn, some of the output comes out first (out from the exposed driver) and some of the output is delayed as it travels through the horn and then out from the mouth past the driver.

·
Registered
7,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpmbc /forum/post/20789906

To my ears and everyone who has heard my system it's very impressive. My receiver has 2 separate lfe outs so that takes care of time alignment issues. Dts 10s are behind the LP and the cht 18s are up front.

So you're running the opposite of what I'm considering. Your horns handle the very low end and the CHT-18's handle the top end of the low bass?

Or all four are working the same bandwidth?

My room just doesn't seem to work well with horn based subs. Not as far as providing free low-end gain anyhow.

And to make things worse, I also have suckouts in the midbass. Despite room-treatments, dual horn setup and several placement locations tried. arghh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian /forum/post/20789936

In a FLH all the acoustic content comes out of the mouth at the same time. In a tapped horn, some of the output comes out first (out from the exposed driver) and some of the output is delayed as it travels through the horn and then out from the mouth past the driver.

Right, that makes sense. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZ Eddie /forum/post/20768629

If you run a horn subwoofer from 20-30hz up to 80hz and combine that with a vented (or sealed) subwoofer system that runs from 5-10hz up to 20-30hz and then time align the two systems together, are you asking for huge problems?

These would not be co-located.

Is it at all do-able?

Please do not turn this thread into a discussion about distortion or horn vs. vented/sealed. That is NOT the topic of discussion.

The real answer is "it depends".

And by that, I am talking about the PHASE response of the different systems at all areas in which they overlap by about 10dB or more.

Crossovers do not stop the response at a particular freq. That is just a point on the rolloff curve. Also unless the freq response is flat (not very likely-especially when you put room gain into the equation), the electrical and acoutsical response will be different, making the "numbers" on the crossover off a bit-sometimes a large bit (think an octave).

It is the phse that makes or breaks how well the freq response of the different cabinets will add together (in phase) or subtract (out of phase).

Various degrees of "out of phase" will amount to different amounts of addition and usbtraction.

It is not just a simple matter of "time" alignment, as the various methods of determining "arrival" is based on various peaks, that may be based on the freq overlap areas or not. So it may not be of any revalance in the particular situation.

All that being said, it might work-or it might not, there are a lot of different variables that could only be determined by actual measurement IN ROOM of the particular cabinets in question or by listening and see if you like it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.