Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my current setup:

Onkyo 875

RF-82s, bi-amped

RC-62

MFW-15 (new amp, is unbelievable)

I am seriously considering using a pair of x-sls encores (rather than a pair of the much more expensive and IMO kinda gimmicky RS-62s) as my surrounds because I have found a pair at a once-in-a-lifetime price. Am I mentally ill? I am aware that the front and center drivers should be voice-matched, but how important is matching up the surrounds? Will Audyssey and some careful tweaking be able to bring the set together, or will I be stuck in the grim purgatory of the mismatch?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkedelen /forum/post/16932559

Here is my current setup:

Onkyo 875

RF-82s, bi-amped

RC-62

MFW-15 (new amp, is unbelievable)

I am seriously considering using a pair of x-sls encores (rather than a pair of the much more expensive and IMO kinda gimmicky RS-62s) as my surrounds because I have found a pair at a once-in-a-lifetime price. Am I mentally ill? I am aware that the front and center drivers should be voice-matched, but how important is matching up the surrounds? Will Audyssey and some careful tweaking be able to bring the set together, or will I be stuck in the grim purgatory of the mismatch?

The RS-62's are AWESOME, they are also expensive and in my view not gimmicky, just well designed for their purpose. I feel at minimum get RS-42's for the rear as they will better timber match the RF's.

I really like the X-LS Encores and I am going to upgrade my Classics to at least Encore level but they won't match well with the Klipsch's AT ALL no matter which version of the X-LS's you look at.

If you can afford any of the RS series I would go with them and buy the Encores for a very good 2.0 or 2.1 system, you won't regret it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fair enough. I still have to get the x-sls encore's because I found a crazy good deal. Perhaps I will install them in the gym system. Do you use the RS-62's for both surround channels in a 7.1 or just connect the posts and use them for 5.1? I guess that is where I am thinking they are gimmicky. I don't see how they could provide faithful 7.1 OR clean 5.1. Am I way off base? Also the RS-62s are not technically the speakers that you are supposed to pair with the RF-82s. Klipsch recommends the RS-52s. For some reason I think if I bought the RS-52s I will always regret not ponying up for bigger drivers, but once again I will be out of spec. At least I know that the RF-82s and the MFW-15 are great together

·
Banned
7,723 Posts
If you just watch movies and the occasional music listening the mix won't be noticed...However if you are like me and consider music just as important then NOTHING beats a MATCHED set all around...The difference is absurdly noticeable when listening to hi resolution music from SACD DVD-A HD DVD or Blu-ray discs...Unless you have the space and budget (which I don't have the luxury of either) for seperate systems then I recommend matching the surrounds to the same model as the front mains are...This is how I have mine and when I play concert HD DVD for example the sound quality is just awesome...Alot of people overlook the music side of the system...Oh yeah...movies sound appreciatively better as well...

·
Registered
721 Posts
I run Energy C-100's as rear surrounds. The reality is yes, its not ideal, will you notice? highly doubtful. I went with the Energy's first and foremost for budget reasons, secondarily due to the fact that they tend to be very nuetral speakers. Would i go and pair a speaker brand that is known for being mellow and warm with a klipsch front soundstage? probably not.

IMO you'll be fine, the fast majority of sound in a movie track come from your fronts, the surrounds are used for the occasional zinging bullet, screeching monster, plane passing overhead, etc. Unless you are sitting there specifically listening for the change in timber, you will not notice it during a normal movie, unless that movie is Thin Red Line, in which case you will be so bored you will be looking for literally anything you can possibly do to entertain yourself.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkedelen /forum/post/16932840

Fair enough. I still have to get the x-sls encore's because I found a crazy good deal. Perhaps I will install them in the gym system. Do you use the RS-62's for both surround channels in a 7.1 or just connect the posts and use them for 5.1?

I use RS-42's in a 6.1 setup, one single RS-42 is used in single channel mode. I wish I had bought the RS-62's but they would have been too big for the location. The 42's blend in very well.

Quote:
I guess that is where I am thinking they are gimmicky. I don't see how they could provide faithful 7.1 OR clean 5.1. Am I way off base?

I don't think of them as gimmicky, but I do consider them more expensive than they should be. I think Klipsch makes a very healthy profit from them.

Quote:
Also the RS-62s are not technically the speakers that you are supposed to pair with the RF-82s. Klipsch recommends the RS-52s. For some reason I think if I bought the RS-52s I will always regret not ponying up for bigger drivers, but once again I will be out of spec.

Yeah, sticking with the same driver size is recommended but having heard both the RC-52 and RC-64 I can tell you my thoughts are the 64 blends in better with the 82's, could be just my ears but the 52 sounds good too.

Regarding the surrounds for HT the 42's work perfectly, they sound much bigger than they look. I wouldn't worry about being out of spec on the rears but going with somebody elses speakers I do think would be a mistake. AV123's speakers have a different sound and it is noticeable when you mix them, I know I have tried it.

Quote:
At least I know that the RF-82s and the MFW-15 are great together

Agreed, they do pair very well together, I have mine crossed over at 60hz in my AVR so the 82's can stay in the action a little bit lower.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer010 /forum/post/16932971

If you just watch movies and the occasional music listening the mix won't be noticed...However if you are like me and consider music just as important then NOTHING beats a MATCHED set all around...The difference is absurdly noticeable when listening to hi resolution music from SACD DVD-A HD DVD or Blu-ray discs...Unless you have the space and budget (which I don't have the luxury of either) for seperate systems then I recommend matching the surrounds to the same model as the front mains are...This is how I have mine and when I play concert HD DVD for example the sound quality is just awesome...Alot of people overlook the music side of the system...Oh yeah...movies sound appreciatively better as well...

I agree most times mixing would be fine, but mixing a highly efficient speaker with a warmer lower efficiency speaker is very noticeable in both music and home theater. There are enough movies out there that pan a voice to enough speakers where these differences can show up.

If I mixed my Klipsch KT-DS THX surrounds with my Klipsch mains I believe they would mix in very well, much closer than mixing another brand altogether. Maybe it's because the efficiency of Klipsch is so much higher than most, matching the gains in the AVR would take quite a bit more with another brand and might strain the AVR since the gains for the front section wouldn't need to be set that high.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkedelen /forum/post/16932840

Do you use the RS-62's for both surround channels in a 7.1 or just connect the posts and use them for 5.1? I guess that is where I am thinking they are gimmicky. I don't see how they could provide faithful 7.1 OR clean 5.1. Am I way off base?

The RS-62 can be used as two separate speakers (i.e. surround and rear)?

I didn't know that! Is this documented on the Klipsch web site somewhere?

·
Registered
816 Posts
I have Rocket 850's and bigfoot center with my RF3's as surrounds. I had to dial the Klipsch back -7 to level them with the Rockets but during movies I can't hear anything "bad" about the set up. I only listen to music in 2ch. so....

·
Registered
1,780 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer010 /forum/post/16936124

Absolutely valid...I also listen to music in 2 channel...But I don't like limiting myself to only 2 channel when surround concerts sound so damn fine!!!

I hate to derail OP's post, but maybe others would find this useful, too. Are there any particular mutil channel BR concerts videos worth trying out? I have a pretty mis-matched set (B&W's up front and Orb's in the rear) and I'm curious what they would sound like on a good concert disc.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts