AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well Irene has played havoc with my mancave and particularly my plans for a dedicated HT down there!

I invested in a Seaton Submersive (used but quite fit) and have plans for some JTRs in the now, very distant future.

needless to say a screeching halt has dashed those dreams (temporarily at least)

So i have set up my submersive in my living room system which includes

Ascend sierra 1s and an outlaw LFM-1 plus.

Is it crazy to try and combine these two very different subs?

I have the seaton on the side wall and am going to place the outlaw right behind the couch, those are the only two placement options i have (WAF and all that)

I suppose it won't hurt to try, just wondering if any members do it, have done it, loved it, hated it, the usual querys.

Oh, the space is a long open room about 35 ft by 13 or 14 ft wide, we sit in the front end facing the shorter wall, so the room is open to our left side.

The reality is, the Seaton sounds awesome (though i have taken no measurements yet) Its just that I hate to see my perfectly good Outlaw LFM-1+ neglected.

what would you do ?

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
Hi jenkzy,

Good to hear things are impressing. I've occasionally been lucky in using another sub a customer has around to smooth things out some in rooms, with the requirement to keep the more limited sub from holding up the show.

This will not always work without external processing, and even then it can sometimes be a pain as I recently encountered when trying to use an Aerial SW-12 (a rather nice ported subwoofer) at the back wall of a large theater complimenting 2 SubMersive HPs up front. Most of the range worked out well, but the range around 20Hz saw significant cancellation due to the phase difference around the port tuning frequency, where most simple efforts to fix this range mucked up the rest of it. A lot of experimenting came to a useful combination, but we decided we will will be changing the ported subs out to another matching sub once they find new homes, as the effort will be much more constructive and matching in capability where the rear subs hit their stops before the rest of the system.

The answer is to give it a try if you're willing to experiment a little, while realizing that you're making educated guesses at the results and adjustments without being able to measure the frequency response.

Location is everything in such an effort, along with some attention to level settings. I generally recommend different subwoofers be placed at significantly different locations in the room. Unless you have a way to measure the frequency response such as REW or the Dayton OmniMic, I'd suggest starting with one high octane movie demo scene as well as an impressive music track. Set the level of the LMF-1 by itself to be a few dB lower than the SubMersive with the surround processor's test tones. Now play the test scene and track with just the SubMersive, then turn on the LMF-1. Better or worse? What did you hear that's different?

The relative distance to the listening position and how you are connecting the LMF-1 to your processor, not to mention which processor you are using, all make a difference in what adjustments to try. Depending on the location, you might need to further lower the level to keep the LMF-1 within it's limits.

Deciding if there are improvements to be had is much more clear with measurements, but if you have the required cabling around it doesn't cost anything but time to experiment.

·
Registered
8,415 Posts
Mark has it right, it's all about placement and tuning. I currently have an IB and sealed playing very well together but have had, horn+ sealed, horn+ported, Sealed+ported, IB+ported, IB+horn. All together at one time or another and with the right tools (DCX2496, rew, omnimic etc) you can get it pretty damn good man. it takes time but in your case, it should be not to bad at all!!! Now getting a horn and sealed to play nice was a different story LOL ahhh good times

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow !!!

Mark and N8DOGG I'm honored!

Thanks for the insights, I just ordered a BFD and Dayton Mic, I am a mac guy so i will try my luck with FuzzMeasure Pro.

Good to hear from folks with your kinds of experience, many thanks to you both!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.