AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is clearly the lazy way to do this, but it's also the least expensive. Here's the deal. My major network digital programming comes from 43 miles away in Philadelphia. My CM4248 and CM7775 handle those pretty well 90% of the time. I have three local channels, one of them being PBS. My roof-top antenna is aimed for optimum reception of the Philadelphia channels. However, the local channels broadcast about 20 degrees off from where the antenna is pointing, so while they're closer, I have trouble maintaining a lock.

The easy answer (depends on your definition of easy) is to buy a rotor so I can move the antenna.

An alternative solution that I'm toying with is combining the signal from the rooftop antenna with the powered set-top antenna I was using to successfully bring in the local channels before I put up the big guy.

So my question is, is it feasible to combine these two sources so that the set-top powered antenna (positioned for the local channels) will supplement the rooftop antenna and allow me to bring in all of these channels without a rotor?

If so, do I need a special combiner that would allow power to flow through both ports? (I tried a diplexer, but the TV (non-power pass) wouldn't let me combine these two)

Obviously I'm trying to avoid not only another $100 investment but also time on the ladder, which is a harrowing experience in my case anyway.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
In most cases you need to filter the two inputs so that they don't interfere with one another. I'd go the rotor route, then you may be able to tune NYC.

SM

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I doubt I could reliably pick up the NYC stations, and I really don't want/need them. Installing a rotor now is problematic considering my installation. What about an A/B switch?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
What are the channel numbers for the distant and local stations? Depending on what they are, maybe they could be combined, but if the channels are close it won't be cheap.

Note also that Radio Shack makes a remote-controled A/B switch. You could set up something like a Pronto to automatically set the switch to the correct input when a particular station is tuned in.

------------------

You have a right to install OTA and dish antennas on property under your control.

See http://www.fcc.gov/csb/facts/otard.html

·
Registered
887 Posts
Combining the signals from two antennae can give ghosts/multipath. If the rotor is out, and the A/B switch is in I saw a remote controlled A/B switch at Fry's - almost got it for my mother in law who has two cables from TCI in SJ and they provided a non remote A/B switch - main thing is they exist and could probably be taught to a smart remote...Then you just need two coaxes, one from each antenna and you're done

Andy

[This message has been edited by AJSJones (edited 06-01-2001).]

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
Depending on how many channels are off your primary axis, the best solution is using a Cahannel Master JOINTENNA. Do a search on this forum. Folks will chip and help describing the approach.

Tim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.