Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

This is probably a stupid question but I din't find anything when doing a search.

After doing some research I am going to try to give the RS VU90 antenna a shot to pull down the OTA HDTV signal in my area. All the channels here are UHF except ABC which is VHF. This is the reason I will try RS VU90 first since it has both.

When I pull the coax from the antenna on my roof am I going to have to do anything to combine the UHF to the VHF signal or is everyhting already included or will I need something to separate the two or combine the two before it hits my TV? They stations are in the same location.

Hope I made sense!

Pierre

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Pierre,

It would have been nice if one of the smart folks here answered but here goes with the little I know. I'm not familiar with the VU90 but the guy at RS may know enough to answer. They should also have what you need to do this at RS.

You also want to make sure that you follow the local electrical code for an outside antenna. At the minimum you probably need to ground the mast and the coax at the entry point. There may be other requirements also.

If the antenna combines both bands before getting to the connection for the downlead then you shouldn't need anything else to combine the signals. I think this will be the case. But if it does happen to have separate connections for UHF and VHF RS has a UHF/VHF spliter/combiner that would probably work.

If it's a 300 ohm antenna you'll need a balance (matching) transformer to convert to 75 ohm coax at some point. I believe this will be the case with the VU90. If it has 2 screw terminals it's probably 300 ohm. Again RS has the balance transformer needed for matching.

I don't think you'll need to do any separating at your HDTV STB. It should have one 75 ohm coax F connection for the OTA antenna.

While there is no way to guarantee that it would work for you I'm getting the Indianapolis UHF and one VHF stations over a RS double bow tie UHF antenna stuck in the attic. This may give you other options.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.