AVS Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posted this over in the "Guide to building an HTPC" thread (thanks Rene), but have been getting conflicting disagreements/info from other forums/stores,

since this is turning out to be a fairly in depth build, so starting own thread.

This computer will be pretty unique in all the different things it has to do, and you guys are the experts, so have at it

Here's where it's at so far with conflicts/issues noted in italics.

Any thoughts/inputs much appreciated.

1. The financial market trading function will need to run four 26" 1920x1200 resolution monitors and

have 40 browser windows open simultaneously with fast access times and no slowing (adequate headroom)
Favors dual vid cards each with dual DVI output although have been told not optimal for HDMI TV use as req. below

2. The HTPC will need to run 1080p to a 52" 120hz LCD with hd sound.

It will feed a Yamaha RX-V765 that can accept HDMI and has 192/24 Burr-Brown DACs.
Favors a vid card with one HDMI/one DVI out, although may not work with #1 req. because have been told when the HDMI is in use,

the DVI is cut out rendering four monitor setup unusable. Therefore back to the dual DVI, with master DVI splitting to a HDMI for the LCD TV.

The HDMI to the TV will not be used while the four monitor setup is in use,

so the splitter should work ie. only one ouput path at a time.

3. The driving simulator will run depictions of local race tracks with a fair amount of definition so I assumed 1GB memory on the vid card.

Rene informed me of the 512mb 4770 which I am leaning toward for

power consumption/cool temperatures.
Have been told the 512mb 4770 might not have the performance for this (vs. a 1GB 4850/4870 etc.)

although all the reviews and specs show the card capable of performing well at this.

Am leaning toward ATI for the HD sound out through the DVI>HDMI>Yamaha.

But, should this be a non-issue because of req.#4 since I can also run the audio interface sound out? Depends on the processing/quality of the signal I'm guessing

4. The audio side needs to accept a guitar and mic input and output the best sound possible

with low latency (as you players know kills live monitoring/playing if latency issues are there)
Onboard PCI vs. Firewire vs. USB....noise vs. speed vs. latency etc.

The 4770 outputs HD sound through the DVI>HDMI adapter, so also wondering

if better to use that sound for playback/monitoring or sound out from card/interface. Will windows have to be reconfigured each time when using sound out

from the card/interface (instruments) vs. the sound out from the 4770 (bluray/DVD/CD/WMP/iTunes)

The system needs to run fairly cool for dependability and stability.

It's starting to feel like it may just need to be tested with multiple configurations

since there doesn't seem to be too many examples available or advisors who have set something like this up.

So my system plans are already very close to Rene's premium Intel/Intel setup but has a few changes for cost/features.

295 O/S: Win 7 64 Prof.

200 Proc: Intel i7 920

195 Mobo: ASUS P6T SE

120 Case: Cooler Master HAF 932

120 Power: CORSAIR 750TX

45 Cool: XIGMATEK Dark Knight-S1283V

140 Mem: 6GB Mushkin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model 998679

220 HD: Intel X25-M Gen 2 80GB SSDSA2MH080G2

100 HD2: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB Hard Drive

120 LG Black 8X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 40X CD-ROM SATA Internal Combo LG Blu-ray Reader & 16X LightScribe DVD±R DVD Burner

30 LG Black 22X DVD+R SATA 22X DVD Burner

210 Vid: Dual VisionTek Radeon HD 4770 512MB GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready

Instrument interface possibilities: t.c. electronic Konnekt 6 Audio Interface (firewire) or M-Audio Delta 1010 LT PCI Digital Audio Computer Interface

(PCI), Line 6 POD Studio UX1 with POD Farm (USB) etc. etc.

Since there are a bunch of different aspects of this build, I'm interested in

any input someone might have, even if it is only with one part etc.

Thanks!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts