AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Panasonic Combo Unit that I bought about a month ago (from Circuit City) suddenly will not turn on. By that, I mean that it isn't getting any power. Pressing the power button on both the remote and on the unit itself yields nothing. ....and Yes, it is plugged into an outlet that works.

This may sound like a dumb question, but does this mean that the unit is definitely history, or is there some sort of workaround, such as a code combination or some such thing that might bring it back to life.

We had some relatively minor storms pass though this evening, and had a few momentary power losses (1-2 seconds) -- not even enough to have to reset my alarm clock. Could that have trashed the unit?

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
a totally dead power supply shouldn't be too hard for a competent tech to fix. ( much better than an intermittent problem )

You probably blew a fuse. ( which may be soldered in )

If you're not comfortable or capable of working on the unit, Circuit City or any TV Repair shop should be able to fix it. I'd go for circuit city... it should still be under warranty.

Robert

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Have you tried pulling the plug for a minute yet. Every once in a while my Showstopper fails to respond and rebooting corrects it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mikeyboy, You are the MAN! I unplugged the unit for about an hour, then plugged it back in, and we're back in business!

Thanks for that heads-up!

It's strange, but I unplugged it last night for about 15 seconds, and this didn't work. What's the reason for a) the problem, to begin with and b) why is a re-boot like this necessary?

Note: I've had a 30 hour Showstopper since about Christmas, and never had this problem. In less than a month, my combo unit fails like this. ....Strange devices.......

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
I won't pretend to understand it, electronics can be temperamental at times.

Just today my brother in law called me. After a recent power outage his Showstopper is killing the phone line. He thought he'd run this by me before shipping it out for repair. I told him to do the same I suggested to you and upon reboot everything is normal again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.