AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anyone could clarify:

You can view the 3D content (side-by-side or over-under) if your Comcast box is hooked up with high speed HDMI cable to TV, but will a Composite hookup work?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,971 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenchi /forum/post/19543012

If anyone could clarify:

You can view the 3D content (side-by-side or over-under) if your Comcast box is hooked up with high speed HDMI cable to TV, but will a Composite hookup work?

Thanks

If it does, it will show it as side by side or over-under, no 3D. If you run it through component to an AVR that upconverts and outputs it over HDMI, you may get it to work...

·
Registered
973 Posts
Comcast boxes will output the video signal from a 3D channel via Component. No new 3DTV will natively accept 3D from component so you would need to run it through an A/V Receiver to convert to HDMI in that scenario.

I use the component output to capture 3D from my Comcast box using my Intensity HD capture card.

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
According to the Comcast CTO they will be eventually switching over to the same 3D format that is used by Blu-ray discs this will require HDMI and a box capable of decoding mpeg-4.

·
Banned
19,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenchi /forum/post/19543012

If anyone could clarify:

Thanks

Composite - you mean the Yellow RCA video jack?

If so - no. That won't work.

·
Registered
5,971 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart /forum/post/19545886

Composite - you mean the Yellow RCA video jack?

If so - no. That won't work.

It works with my Onkyo receiver (TX-SR805).

Composite, S-Video, and Component can all be upconverted and output over HDMI. I watch side-by-side sources this way on Comcast all the time.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Comcast and S-Video are NTSC 480i SD 4:3 aspect ration con so I don't understand how in how your receiver can upscale them to 1080i 16:9 aspect ratio content.

Your Comcast 3D SbS content does not have to be upscaled since Comcast is allready broadcasting it in 1080i 16:9 aspect SbS 3D format. AFAIK your receiver is just passing it through as received.

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by walford
Comcast and S-Video are NTSC 480i SD 4:3 aspect ration con so I don't understand how in how your receiver can upscale them to 1080i 16:9 aspect ratio content.

Your Comcast 3D SbS content does not have to be upscaled since Comcast is allready broadcasting it in 1080i 16:9 aspect SbS 3D format. AFAIK your receiver is just passing it through as received.

I use the component > HDMI as a workaround for Comcast OnDemand 3D, as my box does not have an HDMI output, but thanks Walford for calling me out. I just tried it the other ways, and I have a correction.

(I had assumed it would work for composite and S-video and was under the impression that it was being upscaled, as the Onkyo manual states that. However, there is an asterisk next to the word "upconvert" in the manual and I cannot find the footnote that qualifies that comment. I think what they mean is "look! it's now been 'upconverted' to HDMI", with no reference to resolution.)

Anyway, with composite or S-video input, the Onkyo will output a 16:9 side-by-side or top-bottom picture over HDMI, but in native resolution, 480. The Mits adapter will not convert it to checkerboard unless it is HD, so it just plays the image as shown.

With component, however, if the signal is input at 720P or 1080i, the Onkyo outputs it at 720P, and the Mits adapter converts it to checkerboard. That's how I'm doing it.

So it works to convert Analog to HDMI, but as you state, it doesn't upscale it. Composite won't work, but component will.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGo
According to the Comcast CTO they will be eventually switching over to the same 3D format that is used by Blu-ray discs this will require HDMI and a box capable of decoding mpeg-4.
link please? I didn't think the DCX series boxes were capable of 1920x2205 framepacked output. I thought the max is 1920x1080p30.

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter0328
link please? I didn't think the DCX series boxes were capable of 1920x2205 framepacked output. I thought the max is 1920x1080p30.
No link - it was a question I asked him. I did not ask the resolution but just if they were going to do a similar format to Blu-ray and he responded - yes.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGo
No link - it was a question I asked him. I did not ask the resolution but just if they were going to do a similar format to Blu-ray and he responded - yes.
I believe that eventually is several years away it will require new equipment at the cable company host site and new STBs at the client sites AFAIK Motorola and possibly others are currently developing this capability.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts