AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got my Comcast 5100 HDTV cable box yesterday, and hooked it up via S-Video connections through my 5040, through a switcher with S-Video inputs and an output, and to my standard TV with one S-Video in.

The video quality is noticably improved in some areas (particulary rendering deep colors like reds), but that said, there is an almost imperceptible "strobing" or "blinking" effect on some channels.

Meaning the brightness/colors seem to change back and forth ever so slightly from (very) slightly brighter to (very) slighly not-so bright every second or so.

It requires concentration to notice, it's that subtle, but I thought I'd ask if anyone else has encountered this, or if anyone has any ideas as to what may be the cause?

btw - I have my DVD player connected via its S-Video out, through the same S-Video switcher, to the same TV, and it does not display this effect, the picture is amazing.

md

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
I don't have cable but I think I know what you are talking about...

What I see I've always assume it's the broadcaster. What I notice is something very much what you see. The color changes only slightly, but the do pulse in a very specific patter and it's very subtle the easy way to notice is if you could see both the edges (light/dark).

This bugs the crap out of me, and since it's not all channels I really think it's the broadcaster. I'll switch over to a different directv reciever without the replayTV and see the same thing. So for me it's either the broadcaster or directv, nothing with my hardware/setup.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.