AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I have been trying to do some research on what kind of digital tuner I need to get. Currently neighbor and I share comcast cable internet and we found out that with his nice LCD HDTV we can plug the Coax cable straight into his TV and he is able to get a lot of the comcast digital cable channels (in HD too). I unfortunately dont have a nice tv like that, but I want to do the same thing. Do I have to get on of these QAM tuners, or will something else work just as well? Thanks for any help guys..

Cody

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,724 Posts
A QAM tuner will get any unencrypted digital channel on a Comcast system, but the number of unencrypted channels will soon be reduced dramatically.

As Comcast upgrades systems, only local HD and maybe another HD channel or two (like WGN or TBS) will be in clear QAM. All the other digital channels, both SD & HD, will be encrypted. Each system will also have roughly 20 analog channels, again locals, gov, edu, and a few others like shopping.

A list of current QAM tuners can be found here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=179095

New units range in price from $100-$200. Older units are also available, on ebay, etc., but not all of them are capable of getting all the QAM channels; you'll have to search older topics for details.

·
Registered
6,908 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejavu165 /forum/post/18222104

Currently neighbor and I share comcast cable internet and we found out that with his nice LCD HDTV we can plug the Coax cable straight into his TV and he is able to get a lot of the comcast digital cable channels (in HD too) [...] I want to do the same thing.

That's called theft of services.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,724 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejavu165 /forum/post/18248471

Are there any other tuners that will do the trick?

No.

·
Registered
32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejavu165 /forum/post/18222104

I have been trying to do some research on what kind of digital tuner I need to get. Currently neighbor and I share comcast cable internet and we found out that with his nice LCD HDTV we can plug the Coax cable straight into his TV and he is able to get a lot of the comcast digital cable channels (in HD too).
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavu /forum/post/18225886

That's called theft of services.

Enjoy it while it lasts. When encryption starts, you'll be able to "share" a lot less (and that may be eliminated in 2012)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts