AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well folks I hope I am posting this in the right area!! i am trying to help my Father but its not easy as he is in Florida and I am in Pennesylvania. He has the Samsung LN40A550P3F and Cable Box-Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD. It seems that on the NON HD CHANNELS he is getting large gray boxes on the left and right of the screen. Why do you think this is happening?? I thought it would display full screen ( Look like crap but still be full screen )?? Is there a way I can tell him to fix this????? Any help would be appreciated!!! THANKS SO MUCH!!

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Any TV program that is filmed with a SD camera and then is broadcast over an H aD channel will have black or grey side pillers added to the actual video content.

It is not possibe to display 4:3 aspect ratio SD content on a 16:9 aspect ratio display without using side pillers or by distorting the image using a TV pictrure/size function which will stretch the content using a linear or non linear stretch option.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Sounds like the box is set to only output at 1080i.

I have a couple 8300HD's and this is what I do...

To have the SD channels output at 480i will allow the screen to be stretched on SD channel by the tv.

The cable boxes settings will have to be set to output at 1080i and 480i. Then set the cable box as 'Pass-Through'. This will output the SD channels as 480i and the HD channels as 1080i. You can also have the box output at 720p for those channels if you want.

Check out this thread and the section under the bolded "Setup" section.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=471859

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all for your help!!!! The info/guide trick only allos him to select 4:3 or 16:9 thats it. There was nothing that came up regarding selecting different outputs. Right now he fixed it with the Samsung remote wide option.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
While watching a 4:3 SD program he has to go to the Picture/Size settings and select Wide TV or Panoramic if he wants the wants the 4:3 aspect ratio program stretched so as to fill the screen. It appears that currently his 4:3 program/size setting on the TV is set to 4:3 which is why he is getting undistored content but is therfore getting side pillers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.