AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to buy a Ceton quad tuner card for my HTPC when they are released, however I have heard that some Comcast cards only support 2 streams. Does anyone know how many streams Comcast cable cards can handle?

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZAJ /forum/post/18234247

I want to buy a Ceton quad tuner card for my HTPC when they are released, however I have heard that some Comcast cards only support 2 streams. Does anyone know how many streams Comcast cable cards can handle?

There are two types of CableCARDs, single stream S-Card, and multi stream M-Card. For a CableCARD host device (PC tuner, HDTV, DVR, etc.) with multiple tuners (up to 6), you need an M-Card.

If the host device has multiple CableCARD slots, you can use multiple S-Cards for more than one tuner function. Initial implementations of CableCARD host devices used two S-Cards for dual tuner function.

Both S-Cards and M-Cards work with one way CableCARD host devices (no on demand or pay-per-view), and two way CableCARD host devices (with on demand and pay-per-view).

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Ken,

Are there any two-way host devices other than tru2way planned or in existence? (other than the non-retail boxes we rent from the MSOs?)

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasG /forum/post/18237138

Ken,

Are there any two-way host devices other than tru2way planned or in existence? (other than the non-retail boxes we rent from the MSOs?)

Not sure if I'm understanding correctly, but a CableCARD module and tru2way host device is the only conditional access system that will offer two way communication for PPV & on demand, other than the cable supplied hardware.

All new end user cable hardware supplied by cablecos must be CableCARD based. To my knowledge there is no other option planned for two way conditional access.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasG /forum/post/18237138

Ken,

Tru2way is the system by which it will be implemented, not a specific product, so no, there won't be a tru2way alternative. There aren't yet any retail tru2way DVRs, but in the cities where the cable MSOs have done their initial deployments, there are a few models of TVs available with built-in tru2way support. Otherwise, at present, there's no retail tru2way hardware out there. Many people have complained about that, and that the MSOs claimed a self-imposed deadline of 100% tru2way deployment by July 2009, which is of course now long past with no significant motion since.

Don't hold your breath for more at this point. I think if the MSOs really meant to get tru2way deployed in more locales, something would be happening.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Thanks - FWIW, I was trying to figure out if there was a two way CableCard host device I had missed. CableCo set top boxes and tru2way boxes seem to be the only ones - and neither are yet available at retail. ATI/Ceton OCURs, Tivo and Moxi seem to be the only retail CableCard host devices and they are one way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts