AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. Noobie here but a long time reader.

here is the deal...i have basic cable with the tiny, little 3 inch box in my office to just get basic tv channels and cable channels from comcast. so, for example, i do get ESPN and local cable channels.

a coworkers office across the hall has comcast's scientific atlantic box and gets more advanced channels like MLB network which is the main reason i want to get his channels.

i have never done this before but was told if I buy a two way splitter..I got a 2-way splitter digital pro from wal mart for $8 (see here: http://www.walmart.com/ip/GE-Digital-2-Way-Splitter/16561365 ) and connected via another coax cable to my TV then I could see all his channels from his box but whatever he decided to watch or change the channel to would be displayed on my tv. i have no problem with this set up.

when I set it up his tv worked as normal with all channels but mine had a multi colored error screen and when I flipped to other channels nothing was displayed.

here was the process: bought 100 foot coax cable. plugged into back of my TV. ran it through ceiling tiles (roughly 80ft total i'd estimate) and plugged into one of the two OUT connectors on the splitter. on the other OUT connector of the splitter I have a coax cable to the CABLE OUT connector on the cable box. the CABLE in connector on the cable box is a coax to the back of his tv.

I have a feeling I am not doing this right and have the connections mixed up but am confused as to why he gets all channels on his TV and i get nothing.

any help would be appreciated. thanks!

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
It needs to be from his box to the IN of the splitter, with one OUT going to his TV and the other OUT going to yours. Don't be surprised if yours is a bit on the fuzzy side as those boxes typically don't put out enough signal to run through a 2-way splitter and 100' of cable. If you need, just a cheap amp on the cable going to your TV only would take care of that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok. Which portion of his box needs to be going to the IN of splitter? Cable In or cable out portion?

And what amp do I need to buy? Can u please explain further about that so picture isnt fuzzy?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Have the cable box output connected to the input of splitter the splitters outs to the TV's and TV's tuned to channel 3 or what ever is being put out by cable box. I have had 60' of coax from similar box and had excellent picture.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
What kind of office is this where there are cable boxes? If it is for work, then have work rent you your own cable box.

·
Registered
22,665 Posts
What job do you have that you and your co-workers have the time to watch TV while "working"?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts