AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can any "comcast" customers out there tell me if they're being charge "any" fee for their cable card. I have been told by comcast sales reps that Comcast, unlike Mediacom and several other cable companies, does "not" charge for hdtv access and does "not" charge a monthly subscription fee for their cable cards...unlike their standard and hdtv boxes.


I ask this because I was just informed by a comcast customer service representative in Mobile, Alabama that Comcast has always charged a $9.95 hdtv access fee and a cable card subscription fee as well. I think the rep is WRONG. I say this because I've called two other comcast customer service departments In Washington, DC and Baltimore and have been told the cards are free and there is "no" monthly hdtv service fee.


I appreciate any feedback on this.


Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,011 Posts
This is refering to Comcast in the SF bay area but I expect that it is the same through out comcast.


I think why you are getting different answers is because it is assumed to be an exchange for a cable box. In other words, the first cable box is included in the $10 price for digital TV so therefore it is expected that you return that cable box. Now is that charging you for the cable card of not?


Now when it comes to HDTV (you replaced your digital cable box with a HD cable box), they add $5 for that service.


Now it gets more confusing when you rent a DVR. The HD DVR is stated as being $9.95. What does that mean? Well the $9.95 is an additional charge and you must return a cable box but they remove the $5 HDTV service charge from your bill (since the HD service is included in the DVR) which means the DVR is really only $4.95 more.


Now all of the above refers to your first service. If you are trying to upgrade a 2nd TV in your house, things even get more complicated. I did not upgade my second service but was wondering what would happen. Currently on my 2nd TV, I have a HD cable box which is $6.95 and $5 for HD service. What will happen if I upgrade that to a HD DVR? The couldn't just charge me $9.95 for the DVR with HD service included and remove the $11.95 they were previously charging for the HD channel box and HD service. That would make using the DVR cheaper. Somehow, I expect that my bill would be somehow increased by $4.95. How that would be broken down, I do not know.
 

·
Premium Member
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, M&K S-125, S-80, MX-90, Windows Media Center 4K HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
Joined
·
45,621 Posts
1. Comcast services and fees can, and do, vary from service area to service area.


2. One of the things that is consistent in all Comcast service areas, is they do not charge for an 'HD package'. HD channels are available in 3 forms; local HD (ABC, CBS, etc.), digital tier HD (ESPN HD, INHD, Discovery HD, etc.), and premium HD (HBO, Showtime, etc.).


3. Another consistency is that local HD is available the clear from Comcast, and a CableCARD is not needed; only a QAM tuner is needed. Local HD channels are included with all Comcast cable packages, even the least expensive Limited Basic.


4. For digital tier HD channels, at a minimum you need to sub to the Digital Classic tier. In some Comcast locations, Digital Classic can only be purchased with all analog cable channels, which is roughly $45 per month. In others, it can be purchased as an add on to Limited Basic, which has been seen for a total less than $30 per month.


5. For premium HD channels, you need to sub to the entire premium movie package.


6. In most Comcast locations, the CableCARD is rented for ~$5, but this too can vary. No other HD specific changes apply.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,011 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H
6. In most Comcast locations, the CableCARD is rented for ~$5, but this too can vary. No other HD specific changes apply.
I was told that I wouldn't be charged for the cable card if I returned my cable box otherwise I would be charged for the cable card. This makes sense because if I didn't return the cable box, I could install the cable card in one TV and the cable box on another TV and they wouldn't know the difference. Also I don't know if this is the case, but I was charged an additional $5 per TV for HD when I had two cable boxes. Maybe this is because I subscribe to premium channels. So in my case, I would expect that the additional $5 charge per TV for HD would still be charged even if I exchanged a cable box for a cable card.


After all, comcast it there to make money. Am I wrong?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,028 Posts
This is a very confusing issue for Comcast I think. Both to their employees and their customers. I have a DVR on my "main" plasma in my den which costs me an additional $9.95/month over the digital plus & HBO service I was already getting. Then I got a LCD for my bedroom with CC capability. Oh boy!


Comcast's web site (for my area) states there is no additional charge for CC. The installer said there was no additional fee & I asked to speak to a supervisor to verify, who agreed..no additional fee. Then the bill came. An $8.90 charge for A/O. I called my local office & after much time back & forth for them to realize I had BOTH a DVR AND a CC on a 2nd. TV, they said, "sorry you should not have been charged the $8.90. We will remove the charge." They did & within 10 minutes my TV with the DVR no longer got the digital plus channels. I spent the next hour on the phone correcting it.


Next month, guess what? Exactly same thing happened. A $8.90 charge, corrected it, lost channels, corrected it. Whew, I can't wait until next month's bill!


Through this, all I can say is when I call & wind up with a "supervisor", they assure me there is no additional cost. I tell them, if there is, that's fine but I'll just use my QAM tuner because I only need my locals in HD for my bedroom. They insist I keep the CC...the saga continues.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
Here in Michigan I have Comcast. Have DVR in main room and second box in family room, in bedroom we have cable card and Comcast does not charge for it. Subscribe to digital tier and Showtime/HBO.


Pete
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
445 Posts
Here in The Colony, TX I have 1 cable card and 3 dual dvrs.

No charge for the cable card but was told they had to install it so there was a fee for that.

$9.95 for each dvr and for the 2nd and 3rd on am also charged an additional $5 each.

If you only want locals then you don't need anything from them except basic cable. I have a LG tuner in bedroom and since it has no cable card I have to find the subchannel that they are broadcasting on. In the living room the cable card changes the channels to show same as what dvr is.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
330 Posts
What is sometimes forgotten in these cable card discussons is Comcast's charge for a second and third digital outlet. This runs around $10/mo. and THEN the DVR and cable card rental is tacked on + $35 to install the card + franchise fees and tax.


So expect to pay more, even if the card is free.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,027 Posts
There is no free card or STB, it is simply (or not no simply :) ) included. This is why it is so confusing, they really should itemize programming and STBs/CCs.


The CC is no addtl fee above your Digital sub, so it is just like the first STB, you are paying $5, but it is included.


I know it is $5 because Digital STBs are available for a la carte premiums. Also, I would assume the same would apply for CCs.


Items like HD STB and DVR are fees to upgrade (replace) your Digital STB.


Digital A/Os also apply on some STBs/CCs, (why it varies I don't know), and they range from $5-9.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H
4. For digital tier HD channels, at a minimum you need to sub to the Digital Classic tier. In some Comcast locations, Digital Classic can only be purchased with all analog cable channels, which is roughly $45 per month. In others, it can be purchased as an add on to Limited Basic, which has been seen for a total less than $30 per month.
Very good explanation.


However, this part might be a little confusing for a newbie. The '$45' seems to refer to 'all Analog channels' (Ltd. Basic and Standard), so I would add that Digital Classic w/ STB is usually $10, making a total of $55, (that total is about right for here.)


The 'Under $30' for Ltd. Basic and Digital Classic, there you are giving the total, that is fine, but I would just note that it can be much less than that; I would say it can be $20-28; here it is just under $20.
 

·
Premium Member
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, M&K S-125, S-80, MX-90, Windows Media Center 4K HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
Joined
·
45,621 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by QZ1
However, this part might be a little confusing for a newbie. The '$45' seems to refer to 'all Analog channels' (Ltd. Basic and Standard), so I would add that Digital Classic w/ STB is usually $10, making a total of $55, (that total is about right for here.)
In my area, all analog and Digital Classic is ~$45.


Quote:
The 'Under $30' for Ltd. Basic and Digital Classic, there you are giving the total, that is fine, but I would just note that it can be much less than that; I would say it can be $20-28; here it is just under $20.
Yes, it does vary widely.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,583 Posts
They offer specials from time to time, so it is worth cancelling your service occasionally. Currently, they are offering me Digital Silver package for 3 mos @ $15.95. That's pretty good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H
In my area, all analog and Digital Classic is ~$45.
That is quite a difference from here, so that 'varies widely', as well. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,027 Posts
I didn't get much feedback on the local section a while ago, so I figured I would ask here.


If you have a second DVR, are you paying just for the DVR, or do pay for DVR and a Digital Addtl Outlet fee?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,011 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by McTNN
What is sometimes forgotten in these cable card discussons is Comcast's charge for a second and third digital outlet. This runs around $10/mo. and THEN the DVR and cable card rental is tacked on + $35 to install the card + franchise fees and tax.


So expect to pay more, even if the card is free.
Your right. When I refered to the $6.95 for the second cable box the bill states that it is for Additional Digital Outlet. What ever it is for, it has to be included when you calculate the cost for the second cable box. So for me, the total cost of a second HD cable box is $11.95 ($6.95 for the outlet and $5.00 for the HD service).


So for someone to say that they didn't get charged for an additional cable box or cable card is probably incorrect. So I generally like to refer to the Additional Digital Outlet as the cable box or cable card charge. If you were to put a cable box and a cable card in the same TV, I would expect that you would be charged for two Additional Digital Outlets even though you are using only one outlet.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
18,005 Posts
I can't speak for Comcast, but a second DVR through Brighthouse is 6 bucks higher than the first. The explanation I got was that the digital STB rental fee ($6) was rolled into the price of the digital tier (true) and the $8 DVR rental "fee" was actually just the difference between the boxes. So, every additional DVR box costs $14. But then, every additional digital STB costs $6, too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon
I can't speak for Comcast, but a second DVR through Brighthouse is 6 bucks higher than the first. The explanation I got was that the digital STB rental fee ($6) was rolled into the price of the digital tier (true) and the $8 DVR rental "fee" was actually just the difference between the boxes. So, every additional DVR box costs $14. But then, every additional digital STB costs $6, too.
Yes, that sounds just like Comcast's pricing structure with slightly different fees.


I read of a few people that got the second DVR w/o the Digital A/O, as a 'DVR A/O' for same nominal price as a 'DVR', so, in effect, less than the first one.


I just haven't gotten enough responses to have an idea what to expect. At $10, I would go for the second DVR, but at $17, I don't know. (And remember there are franchise fees and taxes on DVRs and Digital A/Os.)


I would like to get Comcast responses, because I like to be informed before I chat or talk to a CSR, so I make sure I get the right line items added; CSRs are unreliable. Normally, the pamphlet has the info, but it doesn't address this specifically.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
comcast PORKS you for dvr and hd,after about 16 months,you should OWN the unit,but you keep paying.no break for additional units,in fact right now you have to be on a list to get a second dvr,or hd box.AND you get to pay 10-20 dollars more for simmilar progaming to the big 2 sat's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,993 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigchev
comcast PORKS you for dvr and hd,after about 16 months,you should OWN the unit,but you keep paying.no break for additional units,in fact right now you have to be on a list to get a second dvr,or hd box.AND you get to pay 10-20 dollars more for simmilar progaming to the big 2 sat's.
How can you say that, to get E*'s 942 you have to put $250.00 down just for the right to lease a 942 at $5.00 a month, so with Comcast at $9.95 a month for 16 months you pay $159.20, with E* you would pay a total of $330.00 a month for 16 months.
 
1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top