AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I prev had the cable line going directly into the TV for my analog service and had a DVD player & a HT receiver hooked up ot the TV. I now just switched to Comcast basic digital service.

I don't think I need to change anything as far as the DVD player to TV goes.

This probably falls under the dumb ques category, but the installation pamphlets from Comcast show connecting component jacks from the HDTV to the cable box's video injacks.

But the cable box they gave me only has RCA jacks , a RF in and a RF out.

I'm assuming all I need to do is have the input cable go to the cable box RF in, and run another cable from the cable box's RF out to the TV's antenna jack. Then move the RCA audio jacks from the TV's audio out jacks to the cable box's audio out jacks.

BTW - I currently watch digital TV and network HD TV via the QAM tuner in my set. Sometimes I get a fair amount of pixelation/ dropped signal etc, but the network analog signals never have a problem . Is there any way that switching my service from analog to digital could help alleviate this?

thanks

·
Registered
1,565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by csaag /forum/post/16996836

I prev had the cable line going directly into the TV for my analog service and had a DVD player & a HT receiver hooked up ot the TV. I now just switched to Comcast basic digital service.

I don't think I need to change anything as far as the DVD player to TV goes.

This probably falls under the dumb ques category, but the installation pamphlets from Comcast show connecting component jacks from the HDTV to the cable box's video injacks.

But the cable box they gave me only has RCA jacks , a RF in and a RF out.

I'm assuming all I need to do is have the input cable go to the cable box RF in, and run another cable from the cable box's RF out to the TV's antenna jack. Then move the RCA audio jacks from the TV's audio out jacks to the cable box's audio out jacks.

BTW - I currently watch digital TV and network HD TV via the QAM tuner in my set. Sometimes I get a fair amount of pixelation/ dropped signal etc, but the network analog signals never have a problem . Is there any way that switching my service from analog to digital could help alleviate this?

thanks

If you have an HDTV I would put a splitter in the cable and then have one cable from the splitter go to the cable box RF in amd the other cable from the splitter go to the TV. Then use RCA (yellow, white, red) from the cable box to a set of RCA inputs on the TV. The cable going from the splitter to the TV will allow you to use the QAM tuner of the TV to get HD for a few channels(most likely local networks). You cannot get HD from that cable box.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks,

I was thinking about splittign the cable to not lose the network HD (I'd just stick with QAM, but it doesn't pickup a fair number of cable stations - Comcast must be encyrpting them) but I've had enough problems with pixelation etc only on the digital channels that I'd worry I'd be creating more of a problem by splitting the signal. I'll probably initially go directly from the box to the TV just to see how the signal holds up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Comcast badgered me (with daily phonecalls!) to get my digital boxes (2 DTAs + 1 DCH70). Finally got them when they said that one of the channels I care about was going digital-only, and just got them set up last night. The 2 DTAs activated fine, but the DCH70 seems to have activated only partially: I can get the guide data, but can't tune any TV signal. In their setup instructions they say to look at some sample OnDemand stuff (probably because they want to sell lots of on-demand shows), at which point I received an "error 4." Comcast said there was something about my box needing to be attached to my account, and they might be able to fix it on Monday (I worked on this over the weekend). I don't understand why the box they sent me, with my account number on the paperwork wouldn't already have been attached to my account. I do have it attached to a splitter so that my TV can get its regular QAM signal and the box goes through the VCR and to the TV via composite signal, and am wondering if that could have interefered with the activaton and/or the program streams. I want to maintain the split, but could try a different splitter if it would make a difference.

·
Registered
378 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCRUsr /forum/post/17010236

Comcast badgered me (with daily phonecalls!) to get my digital boxes (2 DTAs + 1 DCH70). Finally got them when they said that one of the channels I care about was going digital-only, and just got them set up last night. The 2 DTAs activated fine, but the DCH70 seems to have activated only partially: I can get the guide data, but can't tune any TV signal. In their setup instructions they say to look at some sample OnDemand stuff (probably because they want to sell lots of on-demand shows), at which point I received an "error 4." Comcast said there was something about my box needing to be attached to my account, and they might be able to fix it on Monday (I worked on this over the weekend). I don't understand why the box they sent me, with my account number on the paperwork wouldn't already have been attached to my account. I do have it attached to a splitter so that my TV can get its regular QAM signal and the box goes through the VCR and to the TV via composite signal, and am wondering if that could have interefered with the activaton and/or the program streams. I want to maintain the split, but could try a different splitter if it would make a difference.

VCRUsr,

I'm going through almost exactly the same thing as you. Comcast finally got us to go digital, with its announcement that they were getting rid of all the analog channels over the next couple of months.

For what it's worth, I don't think that the "Error 4" problem necessarily has anything to do with your splitting the signal. I'm running the coaxial from the wall into Comcast's DCT2000 and then into the TV, and when I follow the setup instructions and click on the On Demand button, I too get an Error 4. (This did not happen on the Comcast DVR that we decided to rent for the family room.) I got the same error whether I ran the coaxial or RCA composite cables between the box and the TV.

I haven't investigated it yet (I just came across your post), but it could be that our set-top boxes are not meant to accept On Demand. Or maybe they can, if we're willing to pony up just a little more cash each month....

·
Registered
4 Posts
We went through the phone with Comcast today. First, they thought something needed to be "reset" on our account, which they did. Then we could turn the box on and they could try sending the wakeup signal. Did that a few times, with the splitter & with a direct connection, with no luck. So now they think there's a problem with the box and are supposed to deliver a replacement on Thursday. I dont' particularly care about on-demand (I have a Sage setup, including an extender and usbuirt to control the DTA on the way, and will program my own "on demand."), but it doesn't get any program signal at all - just listings.

·
Registered
378 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCRUsr /forum/post/17024356

We went through the phone with Comcast today. First, they thought something needed to be "reset" on our account, which they did. Then we could turn the box on and they could try sending the wakeup signal. Did that a few times, with the splitter & with a direct connection, with no luck. So now they think there's a problem with the box and are supposed to deliver a replacement on Thursday. I dont' particularly care about on-demand (I have a Sage setup, including an extender and usbuirt to control the DTA on the way, and will program my own "on demand."), but it doesn't get any program signal at all - just listings.

Hmm, that sounds worse than our problem, which is only that the On Demand button doesn't work. (That's where we get that Error 4.)

For theories as to what might be going on, I'm afraid that I'll have to defer to people who know more about these things than I do.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

·
Registered
4 Posts
The tech came out today & replaced the box. The new box now gets signal, but the on-demand doesn't work (apparently nobody checked that - I wasn't home at the time and my spouse worked with the tech). Not that I really care about on-demand, but Comcast hyped it up so much that I at least wanted to see what all the fuss was about. Then there was a hint that might be charging for this visit to replace the bad box, so I have call them to sort that out, and the receipt listed a "service upgrade" charge that shouldn't be there. Fios is starting to look better & better...

·
Registered
378 Posts
VCRusr,

"Not that I really care about on-demand, but Comcast hyped it up so much that I at least wanted to see what all the fuss was about."

Funny you should say that. We too "enjoy" Comcast, and when we changed over to digital cable a couple weeks ago we got a DVR and a DCT2000 set-top box. The DVR works great, but I keep getting your same "error 4" whenever I try to call up the On Demand feature. Interesting that their own instructions tell us that the first thing you should do is to hit that button in order to test the box, and what we get is an error message.

I've tried calling Comcast to get a new signal to reset the box, but that hasn't done anything. I also unplugged the power cord for 30 seconds as they suggest in the phone recording, but nothing changed. Still get that "error 4."

Then I read somewhere that the problem might be a weak signal, so I bought a signal amplifier, and that didn't make any difference either. I also replaced the RG59 coaxial cable coming out of the wall with an RG6 cable, which is supposed to hold the signal better -- but even that didn't do squat. I guess the next step is to talk to a Comcast person live... but I'm not looking forward to it: they all seem to give different advice and none of them really knows what's going on.

--JorgeA

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hey I just finished switching to Comcast digital with a STB and two DTA's. I also had partial activation on some of the boxes. My problem came down to signal strength and me going through my cable wiring in this house which some parts were 20 years old. Also if you have any cable amplifiers from the analog days you will need to dump them as they will not work with digital. If your looking for a good amplifier to use for digital I can recommend the RCA DT140M unit that Best Buy sells. It is bi-direction which is needed for digital boxes as well as cable modem. After a couple days all my boxes are not working well.

·
Registered
42 Posts
This might sound a little odd but here, in MN, comcast took over for TWC a couple of years ago. As they were moving channels around they changed the location for "On Demand".

The On Demand button on the remotes stopped working because the channel location had changed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts