AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure the answer is no but here it goes - I was over my buddies house and we have the same TV (Sony WE III RP LCD) and DirecTV receiver (Hughes HTL-HD). He showed me how he integrated analog cable into the DirecTV box.

Here's my question: Is it possible to do this with the digital cable STB and DirecTV? If it's doable the cable line would be run into the cable digital/HD STB and the out from the digital/HD STB would be run into the cable in on the DirecTV STB. It sounds simple but there must be something I'm missing.

This is doable with analog cable. I was very surprised.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
The method you are suggeting would require hooking the RF out on the cable STB to the cable in on your Directv STB then tuning the Directv STB to whatever channel you'd normally put your TV on if the cable STB was directly connected to it (3 or 4)

The Directv STB can't tune digital cable itself, only analog.

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones73
The method you are suggeting would require hooking the RF out on the cable STB to the cable in on your Directv STB then tuning the Directv STB to whatever channel you'd normally put your TV on if the cable STB was directly connected to it (3 or 4)

The Directv STB can't tune digital cable itself, only analog.
There is no need for DirecTV STB, the TV itself can tune to the cable analog channels. I think the newer TVs with cable card slots should be able to tune cable digital channels as well, but DirecTV STB probably will never have the ability to tune digital cable channels, it doesn't make sense for them to give their competitor any more edge.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacmyoung
There is no need for DirecTV STB, the TV itself can tune to the cable analog channels.
Using the Directv receiver for analog cable gives you everything on one input source and it integrates the channels into the guide, it's more of a convenience thing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.