AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After being disappointed by Directv's HD lineup, I caved in and called Comcast to check out what they had to offer.

My last experience with digital cable was pretty pathetic compared to Directv.

Last time I gave cable a try, I got more than a little miffed with their (ATT) false advertising practices, their crappy picture and lack of HD content. So I gave them the boot.

Anyway, I called them up and they came in and set up the box.

I told the service guy that if his box didn't have the right connections this time, we would just save each other's time and call it a day.

Well, was I surprised! The box had component out, optical out and DVI out!! So we were off to a good start.

I still had the bad taste in my mouth from the crap that appeared on my screen the last time, so I wasn't expecting much.

Well, after fussing around with the connections a little bit ( I plugged the green component into the blue jack, oops!) We finally had a SDTV picture. I was VERY pleasantly surprised. I was thinking to my self, "This is VERY watchable, not quite DVD, but watchable. Nothing like the obviously over-compressed crap from ATT ( This is Comcast now).

We still werent getting a HD feed though. The comcast guy went in the connections closet and pointed out that I had a signal booster pluggled in. He suggested it may be interfering with the HD signal.

I said to my self, "Yeah, sure pal". But I sat back and let him do his thing. Another surprise! A cable guy that actually knew what he was talking about! He went and put the signal booster AFTER the line coming in to the box (going to the rest of the house) and what I saw was,

An awesome view of a shuttle lift-off in full HD ( well, as full as my PJ will display anyway).

I never thought I'd say this, but this cable thing is BETTER than my Directv.

Anyone wanna buy a slightly used Hughes E86 HD STB?? After seeing this, I have NO USE for it.

Gus

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS, NESN, (HBO,SHO). HBO and SHO cost extra. The HD equipment and package is $12 more per month. It looks much better than Directv on my 10 foot screen.

Gus

·
Registered
319 Posts
Hey Gus, don't forget about ESPN-HD and INHD1 and INHD2. I have been very pleased with Comcast with regards to HD programming. The only downside is the on screen guide of the Moto 5100 is shall we say not too good.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by bluepred
Hey Gus, don't forget about ESPN-HD and INHD1 and INHD2. I have been very pleased with Comcast with regards to HD programming. The only downside is the on screen guide of the Moto 5100 is shall we say not too good.
Yeah, I forgot about those, FOX too!

I was just watching the Ireland program on INHD2 and WOW. I had never seen such a beautiful picture!

Gus

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Damn.....we have all fiber-optic cables undergrounded in our neighborhood, yet Comcast doesn't give us cable HDTV. As I talk to many people there, I either get folks who don't have a clue or the big run around that they don't offer it in our area and don't know when I should expect it.

They're pissing me off.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
All we have is some crappy local company's cable service.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Let's hope Comcast activates that DVI out at some point. ;) Or even better, gets us the new Motorola 6208 (?) with the HDPVR and DVI out. :D

Comcast has really been impressive with their HD offerings so far.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jeeezzz, for a minute there I thought my eyes were going to come out of their sockets when I saw the Redsox clinch the wildcard in HD tonight! That was almost as good as being there!! I'm REALLY enjoying this comcast thing!

Gus

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Gus
Jeeezzz, for a minute there I thought my eyes were going to come out of their sockets when I saw the Redsox clinch the wildcard in HD tonight! That was almost as good as being there!! I'm REALLY enjoying this comcast thing!

Gus
$#@@$!$ Red Sox! :mad: (bitter Mariner's fan) :rolleyes:

Though I do have to agree about Comcast. They are making big strides out here since taking over for AT&T. My old box didn't even have the S-video option installed, let alone any digital audio output even though Motorola did make them.

They've been adding a lot of HD channels in Seattle over the Summer. Just 3 months ago, all I could get were HBO and Showtime, now I'm up to PBS, ABC, ESPN, some Mariners games, and InHD coming Oct 1st supposedly. Not sure what the delay is about, but I'm not complaining. I was about ready to drop down to basic service in July, but then all this happened :cool:

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Roto
$#@@$!$ Red Sox! :mad: (bitter Mariner's fan) :rolleyes:

Sorry about the Mariners but we in Mass are currently enjoying every second of our post season berth.:cool:
Quote:

...InHD coming Oct 1st supposedly.
Wait till you see these 2 channels! (InHD1 and InHD2). They have current theater release film trailers in HD. Better than at the movies! I saw the trailer for Once Upon A Time In Mexico the other day, it almost tempted me to actually go to the cineplex!

Gus

·
Registered
2 Posts
Does anyone know what the USB ports on the box use for? I heard some rep said that it will let you plug in a digital camera to view picture. He is not sure himself either.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hnk
Does anyone know what the USB ports on the box use for? I heard some rep said that it will let you plug in a digital camera to view picture. He is not sure himself either.
I think the true goal is this... You and the old lady are watching your favorite show on ABC. Old lady likes the clothes that some actress is wearing.

Move the mouse plugged into that USB port over the actress, and click. The modem built into the box takes you to the web site where you can buy them.

Order online, and 3 days later, you get to see your 220 pound wife crammed into clothes designed for a 105 pound actress.

The card slot on the front is going to be for things like pre-paid pay-per views, but it isn't a huge stretch to imagine it taking a credit card 5 years from now...

·
Registered
18 Posts
"We still werent getting a HD feed though. The comcast guy went in the connections closet and pointed out that I had a signal booster pluggled in. He suggested it may be interfering with the HD signal.

I said to my self, "Yeah, sure pal". But I sat back and let him do his thing. Another surprise! A cable guy that actually knew what he was talking about! He went and put the signal booster AFTER the line coming in to the box (going to the rest of the house) and what I saw was"

It's interesting that you said that - I just had comcast out because I was having trouble with my internet. They checked my signal and it was pathetic. Apparently the guy who installed it ran the thing through 3-4 splitters before it finally hit my distribution box. Anyway, I told him I was planning on getting comcast digital/HD and he recommended that I get an amplifier and put it RIGHT after the signal hits the house, and then distribute from there... So I guess you're saying I shouldn't do that?

Do you have an amp that comcast supplied?

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No, my amp was a Radishack job. The comcast guy says that their own amp will still work with HD but that the Radioshack one would not. I would suggest you just let HIM do the work and then you be the judge of wether it worked or not and hold HIM responsible for it. The problem with using your own amp is that they wont support it if it doesn't work.

Gus

·
Registered
305 Posts
i also have the hd comcast box, and i must admit that i am impressed. we are not getting the cbs network hd feed, but we are getting the espn hd feed. pretty good bargin.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I just got comcast HD last week. must say I am very impressed. At first I was disappointed but later learned all programing is not equal. Some of the broadcast can look OK while others can look out standing, especially on a 106 inch screen. I recommend it to any one who can it.

Jonathan:D

·
Registered
410 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bluepred
What the heck are INHD? There's no mention of them in the Comcast info or on the website. They seem to just randomly broadcast stuff. I've seen wrestling, Tennis, and documentaries of Mexico, California and Texas.

The picture is amazing at 1080!

·
Registered
410 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by lfarj

[BIt's interesting that you said that - I just had comcast out because I was having trouble with my internet. They checked my signal and it was pathetic. Apparently the guy who installed it ran the thing through 3-4 splitters before it finally hit my distribution box. Anyway, I told him I was planning on getting comcast digital/HD and he recommended that I get an amplifier and put it RIGHT after the signal hits the house, and then distribute from there... So I guess you're saying I shouldn't do that?

Do you have an amp that comcast supplied? [/b]
My Comcast guy was pretty hip, he found a splitter and removed it before it caused any trouble.

He did forget to set the box up for 1080 though... Luckily, that's easy enough.

The guide on the Motorola 5100 isn't very good. Not intuituve at all, and for some reason they really don't get very much info on the screen at one time requiring lots of scrolling around just to see something simple like what's on next...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.