AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After spending years of dealing with Comcast's sub-standard dvr service and ever increasing prices, I decided to make the switch to a TivoHD using only an OTA signal. Everything is hooked up and working great. I also plugged the existing Comcast feed into the Tivo so that I could record some kids shows on Disney before I canceled. Again, everything works fine.

When I called to cancel the Comcast service, they offered me a new "Digital Economy Package" for $30 a month which includes about 20-30 digital channels, including Disney and Discovery. Since I get a $17 discount for having both cable and internet service, it's a net increase of only $13 per month -- so I took them up on it.

The rep said that I did not need a cable box to receive the channels that will still be available to me after they downgrade me. They're sending out a technician later this week to "put something on the pole".

My question is how will they prevent me from receiving the other digital channels that I'm now getting? I assume they're putting an analog trap on my line, but my understanding is that they can't block digital chanels this way. I thought they could only encrypt them, which would seem to require me to have a Comcast box. Something doesn't seem right, any insight would be appreciated.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.