AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Comcast is coming Thursday to install the HD box. How does this work with a VCR? Obviously, the cable comes in from the wall and then into the box and then compoment plugs go to the TV. If I want to run the signal through a VCR, are these boxes capable of sending SD through Coax simultaneously to a VCR?

It is bugging the crap out of me how the hookup will be. Another thing I am thinking is that - maybe only the dedicated HD channels come out of the component and the SD still comes out of coax meaning I would have to change inputs when I go from HD to SD nd vice versa?

·
Registered
184 Posts
The HD STB usually has all three video outputs: component, Svideo, and composite. So You can use the component output for your tv and Svideo or composite output for your VCR. It also has the RF output (channel 3/4) that you can use. But the PQ is usually not as good with the RF signal.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, but still not clear. I'll assume the component output from the HD cable box has to go directly to the TV. Then what if I want to also get the signal of the same cable box to go through the VCR? I am all set on options to get the VCR back to the TV (composite or coax).

For example, I am watching an analog channel and want to record it and watch it. Do the analog channels still go through the HD-component signal or do they have to come through either a coax or composite out from the cable box? I am guessing that if analog channels don't come through the HD/component, I will have to switch inputs on the TV when watching analog vs. HD. If this is true then I understand how the wiring should be done:

cable from wall into HD box

component from HD box to TV

coax or composite out of HD box to vcr

vcr to tv via coax or composite

IF the box can push anlog through component AND coax/composite at the same time, then:

same as above, but I do not have to change source on tv to record, only to replay?

Does this make any sense? There is no scenario in the GWIII manual for HD/analog cable box tuner and a VCR. I guess this will all be answered when Comcast gets here, trouble is, I will be at work and I want to make sure they optimize the connections for my situation.

Joe

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by xxxfubar187xxx
The comcast box will have coax out for your VCR.
Thanks, does the box output regular channels through both the coax out and the component out, or do I have to switch inputs on the TV whe going from a HD channel to a analog channel?

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by xxxfubar187xxx
Yep but it's not currently activated. I've heard early this year but we'll have to see.
I heard the same thing, I am in MA.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
bump

·
Registered
134 Posts
I also live in NH and have the Comcast HD Motorola 5100 box with the Sony GWIII. I am using all the connections in the box(component, coax, S-connector). All the connections will work at the same time without switching anything. However, if you are using the VCR for recording, you will get a much better picture if you record with line inputs from the box rather than the coax.

I recently sent a message to Comcast about the DVI and the CSR said that they had no immediate plans to enable the DVI. They seem to look at it from the viewpoint of a copy protection device rather than a digital output.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
I've been struggling with some of these same issues as I had Comcast Digital/HDTV service added last week. Suggest you go to the Motorola web site where you can get a lot more information, including the user manuals for their boxes. Also check the HDTV threads here as there are several for Comcast.

My box did come with the DVI output enabled and I am using it to connect with the TV. Very sharp picture and no issues with it. I am using the component outputs to connect with my DVD player.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JBaumgart
I've been struggling with some of these same issues as I had Comcast Digital/HDTV service added last week. Suggest you go to the Motorola web site where you can get a lot more information, including the user manuals for their boxes. Also check the HDTV threads here as there are several for Comcast.

My box did come with the DVI output enabled and I am using it to connect with the TV. Very sharp picture and no issues with it. I am using the component outputs to connect with my DVD player.
Where are you located and who is your service provider???

Steve

·
Registered
172 Posts
Ok I can anwser my own question now. I have just had Comcast install HDTV, and I love it. Really makes the DLP shine.

Good news is that they are enabling the DVI output next month. Can't wait. The box is incredible. It has every type of input and output, USB, Firewire, ect... and even has a cable modem in it, as well as what the tech called a credit card reader. Anyway, I'm Impressed.

Steve

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kevindba
JBaumgart

Thanks for the info.. Hows your SD 4:3 picture? Mine looks choppy
I believe that my cableco might have lowered the signal strength on my line to support the Moto box. I read somewhere that the box must have signal within a certain unspecified range. Unfortunately, it's difficult to know since, within the week of install (01/02/04), they moved around a bunch of stations. One of my favorites went up one notch to 69 where it is noisier, appearing like it was before I added an amp to the line, well before I subscribed to digital cable. That being said, I split my line from the wall, one to the box, the second to the amp which supports analog to the GWIII, another TV, a VCR, Tivo. My cable box, from time to time, doesn't sync on the ABC affiliate's DT signal and has never communicated well enough to use the "OnDemand" feature. I just have to find the time to be home when they can analyze it. I've read that some people have an amp that was supplied by the cableco.

YMMV

PS - you might want to update your profile to correct the spelling of Annapolis unless, of course, you meant to imply something ... :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.