AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I've done a few searches and haven't come up w/ much so I thought I'd ask here --

Wednesday, I'm getting upgraded to the comcast HD box (I'm guessing this is the 5100?) I won't be recording any hd stuff on the replay, as I will be going straight from the cable box to my TV with component cables. My question is -- What is the best way to achieve "HD viewing" and "replay recording (non-hd)" -- Should I ask to keep my old cable box for the replay to use, or will my new cable box have a different output that I can use for my replay recording w/o keeping the older cable box? Hopefully this makes sense.. Has anyone else gone through this? What did you find was your best option (if it is to keep the old box, do they charge extra for that?) Thanks,

-- Hag

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok cool, that's what I thought.. although it is tempting to ask about keeping the old cable box which would give the luxury of watching HD while my replay recorded regular cable..

-- Hag

·
Registered
166 Posts
Depending on how you watch TV, you may be better off getting a cable amplifier instead of a second cable box. I don't watch many of the digital cable channels, so I decided to use the Replay's built-in tuner for most of my recording (side benefit: no more missed channel changes). I've also hooked the S-Video input of the 5100 into the replay for recording the occasional digital show or HD programming. The 5100's component output runs into the back of my TV, and its digital audio output into an unused slot on my receiver.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can you explain a little more. I understand the way you have your cables connected, etc. but I'm not sure what the cable amplifier will allow me to do.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
BTW, with the 5100 you can record its downconverted s-video output on the Replay at the same time as watching the HD component output on your TV. The Replay does a remarkable job with clean sources like that.

Tim

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hagfish -- the amplifier's only necessary to boost the signal if you're splitting the cable several times. My cable's split 4 ways at the source, and another 3 ways behind my HDTV (1 for the replay, 1 for the 5100, and 1 for the picture-out-of-picture thing). If you're only going 2 ways, you're probably fine (though the 5100 needs a pretty clean signal).

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks pmcneill: I may have to check that out as I'm in a house w/ multiple cable jacks in various rooms so there's no telling where all it's been split. Is there one that you would recommend?

tluxon: so you're saying the replay will record hdtv content? I guess if this so, then when you go back to watch it on the replay it will just be a "non-progressive scan" version of the hdtv show? Will it still be widescreen?

-- hag

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Hagfish

tluxon: so you're saying the replay will record hdtv content? I guess if this so, then when you go back to watch it on the replay it will just be a "non-progressive scan" version of the hdtv show? Will it still be widescreen?
Yes, you get widescreen and the picture's pretty good, but I've been disappointed with the letterboxing that the 5100 creates when outputting widescreen via s-video. Replay gets a lot better picture from my Hughes HIRD-E86 HD receiver that I use for OTA. See this post for an example: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...12#post3135812 .

Tim

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I read that thread.. so is my best bet is to leave the 5100 at it's factory default settings?

-- hag

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
When I'm recording 4:3 content on a HD channel, I switch the TV Type to 4:3P (don't worry, this only affects s-video output, not component). When I'm recording 16:9 content on a HD channel, I switch the TV Type to 16:9. If I'm not around to switch it, I just leave it at 16:9.

Tim

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the input / suggestions all. One more question -- Assuming that I have 4 cable jacks spread throughout my house and that it's presumably from the same feed, will my dct5100 require a cable amplifier to do justice to the HD signals or should I be safe as long as I haven't split the signal again in the living room (where the 5100 will be located)? Thanks!

-- Hagfish

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bdowns83
tluxon:

I'm debating whether to use my ReplayTV to record OTA HDTV, as well (Samsung TS160). The pics you posted look good. Can you send a short test clip of some recorded HDTV content?

Thanks-

bdowns83

00004-54831-35655 (5040)
I should be able to get you something tonight. Do you have a preference for record quality?

Tim

·
Registered
97 Posts
Quote:
Do you have a preference for record quality?
I usually record at MQ for most SD programming. Send MQ unless you think HQ makes a noticable improvement with HD content.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Hagfish
Thanks for the input / suggestions all. One more question -- Assuming that I have 4 cable jacks spread throughout my house and that it's presumably from the same feed, will my dct5100 require a cable amplifier to do justice to the HD signals or should I be safe as long as I haven't split the signal again in the living room (where the 5100 will be located)? Thanks!

-- Hagfish
They talk about this kind of thing a lot over on the Home Integration and Distribution Forum.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forum...?s=&forumid=36

Tim

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
bdowns83 - I wasn't able to contact your Replay (00004-54831-35655). Have you received shows before?

Tim

[edit] Never mind. I see that the IVS server is down. I'll try again later tonight or in the morning.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.