AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I tried a search about this and I've called Comcast and I can't find the answer.

I live in Boston and am going to subscribe to Comcast HD cable. I'll be receiving their set top box and was hoping to use HDMI to connect it to my LCD 32" hdtv. Am I dreaming?

If not I'm going to have to buy a DVD player with HDMI because of the lack of connections on my tv. I'm hoping to save a few hundred dollars on teh dvd player and find hdmi on cable box.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
You can always use a DVI to HDMI convertor if your STB has DVI out instead of HDMI out...

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
Comcast does not yet offer any STBs with HDMI. HDMI is essentially just DVI+audio in one cable, so you would use a $30 DVI->HDMI cable to connect the Comcast box to your HDTV.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Over here in Cali. w/ a Adelphia and a motorola DCt-6200, I cant go from dvi to hdmi, to my Pioneer 910HD. I guess the Pioneer only accepts signals that are DVI-I or HDMI. And the DCT-6200 cable box only outputs DVI-D. Errrr any help????

Joe

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
jonathan,

Perhaps your cable is defective? Or perhaps it isn't on tight enough?

The DVI-D video signal is identical to the video signal output through HDMI.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jonathanR
Over here in Cali. w/ a Adelphia and a motorola DCt-6200, I cant go from dvi to hdmi, to my Pioneer 910HD. I guess the Pioneer only accepts signals that are DVI-I or HDMI. And the DCT-6200 cable box only outputs DVI-D. Errrr any help????

Joe
I asked Pioneer CSR, they say a DVI-I to HDMI cable is needed. As pointed out, the DCT5100 has a DVI-D output.

I submitted an e-question to my local Comcast on 10/28 and got the following: "Thank you for contacting Comcast Cable regarding your DVI to HDMI connection, you may want to contact the manufacturer of your Television. Technical support is sometimes available from the store you purchased the equipment from. The DVI output is functional but is not a supported connection."

[rant]NOT A SUPPORTED CONNECTION??!!! That made sense before FW v7.10 when Comcast activated the DVI output but not now.[/rant]

Bottom line: it is a HDMI (HDCP) handshake problem between the DCT and the Pio -- hopefully, it can and will be fixed in the DCT (but don't hold your breath).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.