AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Mits 46805 TV with the Mits HD 1080i receiver.

I called Comcast this AM and they seem to be saying that if I want CBS, NBC, ABC, PBS, FOX, and ESPN-HD, that ALL it will take is a $16 service call to install a STB that costs thereafter $5/month.

Now, I see that the channels the HD comes in are 185-191. I assume the hookup would be:

cable outside house --> Comcast's new STB --> splitter --> back of my Mits TV AND back of my Mits HD receiver to convert the HD to analog for my tv.

I do NOT want to "have" to watch ALL the cable channels via the Comcast STB. Is it possible to bypass it unless I'm watching HD??

JL

·
Registered
6,557 Posts
I would expect the Comcast STB to output HDTV only on their Component/DVI connector. I don't know if Comcast is broadcasting the HDTV via QAM right now. They might be doing the locals, but likely not the HBO, SHO, INHD stuff.

You likely can use the splitter before the STB to get the non-HD stuff to your tuner so you don't have to watch all of the channels via the STB. But I'm just guessing. Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Yes, Cyclone.

JL, split the signal before the Motoroloa 5100 (Comcast's STB), and you can use the analog cable signal into your TV, Tivo, ReplayTV, VCR, whatever you're in the mood for.

For HD (and AFAIK, other digital channels) you are going to have to use the analog outputs of the 5100. DVI is not enabled on ANY of the existing 5100s provided by Comcast. Many of us are taking component output of the 5100 into our displays, and S-video into ReplayTV/Tivo.

There's a huge thread and good FAQ that you should read in this forum.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Does any one know if Replay showstopper has the codes set up for the new box. I want to get it but I'm afraid I am going to have the same problem that I heard of----input 34 and replay changes box to 333 then 444. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by ClaudeD
Yes, Cyclone.

JL, split the signal before the Motoroloa 5100 (Comcast's STB), and you can use the analog cable signal into your TV, Tivo, ReplayTV, VCR, whatever you're in the mood for.

For HD (and AFAIK, other digital channels) you are going to have to use the analog outputs of the 5100. DVI is not enabled on ANY of the existing 5100s provided by Comcast. Many of us are taking component output of the 5100 into our displays, and S-video into ReplayTV/Tivo.

There's a huge thread and good FAQ that you should read in this forum.

This is the crux. I have a Mits WT-46805 from around 2000. The HD receiver I have from Mits is the ONLY one that will work with this because I have 5 outputs, RGB and 2 synch (horiz. and vert.). Thus, I do not think I can take JUST 3 outputs from anyone else's HD box.

JL

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also, I would think someone would make a box that would simply SHIFT the freq. of a channel. For example, on my Comcast cable, with channel 176 being ABC HD, ALL I need a box to do is shift it somewhere within the VALID UHF range (14-69) WITHOUT doing anything to the signal information itself.

Thus, the OUTPUT of the above new box would go into my HD receiver.

JL

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After further reading, I think I'm understanding.

The analog signal via cable TV carrying a digitally-encoded HD picture is different than OTA HD analog/digital signals from the local TV stations.

Thus, it looks like I would need a box that would simply convert the QAM to 8VSB so I can feed the EQUIVALENT of the OTA signal into the back of my model-specific Mits. HD1080 receiver.

Do I have it? And, the bigger question, does anyone make a QAM ---> 8VSB converter??

JL

·
Registered
675 Posts
Jim,

What you suggest would work, but would cost zillions. OTOH, AFAIK, there are component to RGBHV convertors. IIRC, Key Digital makes one. You would take the 5100 output, convert it to RGBHV, and input it into your display.

Best of luck,

Claude

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JimLewandowski
Thus, it looks like I would need a box that would simply convert the QAM to 8VSB so I can feed the EQUIVALENT of the OTA signal into the back of my model-specific Mits. HD1080 receiver.
I don't think there's a consumer device that can do this.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.