AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to know how COMCAST's roll-out of InHD and InHD2 is going. I have InHD but not InHD 2. I read that others have both, and still others have neither.

If you have COMCAST HD, please vote your status regarding these new channels.

BTW, someone else may want to start similar polls for CBS-HD and Fox-"DT." My COMCAST has both.

If there is sufficent response, I'll create another InHD poll a few weeks from now to see if COMCAST is converging on 100% across the country.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
it's too bad you need digital cable to get the inHD channels or i'd have em now

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have Comcast HDTV with basic cable, I refuse to upgrade to digital classic just to get these channels. I would rather see an HDTV tier that I could pay for. I have Dish and the PQ is much better on all the channels than Comcast.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Alexandria, Va has both

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm sure this will solve the problem-from Comcast:

QUOTE:

We have received your email regarding your INHD2 network. We do apologize for any inconvenience. We were advised that both networks

were released on September 15th.

We request that you call our 24-hour customer call center at

1-800-COMCAST, so that we may thoroughly troubleshoot your situation to assist you in resolving this issue. If we are still unable to resolve your problem by phone, we will at that time set up an appointment to have our technician visit your home. We apologize that we are not able to schedule any service appointments via email.

oy.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by YuriLuzr
I have Comcast HDTV with basic cable, I refuse to upgrade to digital classic just to get these channels. I would rather see an HDTV tier that I could pay for. I have Dish and the PQ is much better on all the channels than Comcast.
At least around here, you can get Digital Classic ($5/mo) without expanded basic ($37/mo over the basic charges). According to emails I've received from Comcast, you can get the HDTV channels with basic, plus digital classic plus box rental, which around here comes to $20/mo.

Digital Classic essentially becomes your HDTV tier and gets you InHD1+2, and ESPN-HD, as I understand.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by effy

QUOTE:

We have received your email regarding your INHD2 network. We do apologize for any inconvenience. We were advised that both networks

1-800-COMCAST, so that we may thoroughly troubleshoot your situation to assist you in resolving this issue. If we are still unable to resolve your problem by phone, we will at that time set up an appointment to have our technician visit your home. We apologize that we are not able to schedule any service appointments via email.

oy.
I feel better already! Of course, here in Berkeley, I've been calling their customer center pretty much daily since the 15th, but I still don't have INHD. I've had a tech visit my home, but I still don't have INHD. I've gotten half a dozen different explanations for the problem, but I still don't have INHD. But at least they apologize for my inconvenience!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm in Fremont, CA. I have the Gold package from back in the AT&T days. I still don't have the InHD channels. I have called a few times to have my box reset and still nothing. I have seen some here in the forums say that switching their contracts from the AT&T grandfathered packages to the Comcast digital packages has fixed this, however moving to the Comcast gold will make me lose some premium channels and I'm not entirely sure I'd get the InHD channels even if I did switch. I am quite disappointed though, and if it does have something to do with the AT&T vs Comcast contracts, I'll be quite pissed.

·
Registered
754 Posts
We launch here in Seattle on 10/1 I'm quite excited from everything I've read about the content to see these channels, that will bring our grand total to 8 HD channels with the addition of roughly 5-6 more by years end.

Jeremy

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by effy

QUOTE:

oy.
effy,

Thanks for the tip. The tech at the 800 number told me what I have heard before; i.e., that the presence of InHD2 was up to the COMCAST Marketing Dept. in my county. I've asked other COMCAST HD subscribers in my county, and they appear to have the same problem: InHD yes, InHD2 not.

What I don't understand is why this is a marketing issue. COMCAST does not need to negotiate to get InHD2. They have it available nationwide. It seems different than the availability of CBS, which is a local issue that must be negotiated with each local OTA CBS station.

So the bottom line is that there seems to be fingerpointing between the tech side and the marketing side in my county.

P.S. I'm pleased with the response to this poll. I will use this data in my next e-mail to COMCAST marketing. Four out of five COMCAST HD customers nationwide have InHD and InHD2. Some that don't do so by choice (i.e., refuse the digital package).

·
Registered
319 Posts
Here in Nashville we currently have only INHD1 but INHD2 will be up in two weeks. They had some technical issues when they launched on sept 23.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mposadas
I'm in Fremont, CA. I have the Gold package from back in the AT&T days. I still don't have the InHD channels. I have called a few times to have my box reset and still nothing. I have seen some here in the forums say that switching their contracts from the AT&T grandfathered packages to the Comcast digital packages has fixed this, however moving to the Comcast gold will make me lose some premium channels and I'm not entirely sure I'd get the InHD channels even if I did switch. I am quite disappointed though, and if it does have something to do with the AT&T vs Comcast contracts, I'll be quite pissed.
This is a quote from an email from Comcast:

"You must subscribe to the Digital Classic, Plus, Silver, Gold or Platinum Digital Cable Television packages in order to receive [HDTV] service. Customers who receive a grandfathered cable package must select a new digital package in order to receive the HDTV services. "

·
Registered
304 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jckessler
This is a quote from an email from Comcast:

"You must subscribe to the Digital Classic, Plus, Silver, Gold or Platinum Digital Cable Television packages in order to receive [HDTV] service. Customers who receive a grandfathered cable package must select a new digital package in order to receive the HDTV services. "
What does "HDTV services" mean? I already have all the HD channels other than INHD. Does this mean any NEW HD channels offered won't go through? Forget calling Comcast, they don't have a clue. The very rude rep I spoke with about this yesterday, insisted the INHD channels were PPV movie Previews and her "supervisor" confirmed this for her. I am not switching from my grandfathered package, only to pay more, and loose what I have, unless they assure me they know what they are talking about!

·
Registered
758 Posts
In Atlanta, INHD appeared around Sept 1st, tho they weren't showing much. Tennis and a demo loop. Every day another show or two might pop up. By Sept 15th, INHD was running a full schedule. On Sept 15th, the INHD 2 channel appeared, but I don't think we actually had any programming show up on it until Sept 16th. Regardless, both channels are running a full compliment of programming now.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JohninLA
What does "HDTV services" mean? I already have all the HD channels other than INHD. Does this mean any NEW HD channels offered won't go through? Forget calling Comcast, they don't have a clue. The very rude rep I spoke with about this yesterday, insisted the INHD channels were PPV movie Previews and her "supervisor" confirmed this for her. I am not switching from my grandfathered package, only to pay more, and loose what I have, unless they assure me they know what they are talking about!
Here's the whole email. Obviously, this applies only to my local area. I would suggest emailing Comcast, so they can send you the specifics for your area, but I would guess that the rules are similar across the country. I would trust what they put in writing (or email) before anything that a CSR will tell you. I can't tell you how many times I've gotten incorrect information on the phone.

0k . file

·
Registered
126 Posts
Some cable systems do not have the available bandwidth to insert an additional HD channel. Each HD channel uses up 3 Mhz. As they recover the bandwidth, they will add more channels. Chances are that in areas that did not, or do not have InHD2 they were bandwidth locked.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I am located in St. Paul MN.

I have both the Directv HD and the Comcast HD packages.

The Comcast package includes HBO, SHO, INHD, INHD2,ESPNHD, and

two local channels.

The picture quality of Comcast HD is slightly better then DirecTV HD.

My Motorola DCT5100 is very poor compared to my Sony HD200 .

The DCT5100 has all these nice features but none of them are are active

and tme DTC5100 menus and info displays are form the dark ages.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Quote:
Some cable systems do not have the available bandwidth to insert an additional HD channel. Each HD channel uses up 3 Mhz. As they recover the bandwidth, they will add more channels. Chances are that in areas that did not, or do not have InHD2 they were bandwidth locked.
Could be-they've been pretty good around here lately about adding channels, so maybe. But PBS-HD and the digital subchannels appeared last week , so they had the bandwidth for that...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.