AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on the phone with comcast last night and she told me they would be recieving their Motorola 5100 boxes today or tommorow! She scheuled me for a Sat. installation. Anyone else from indy? If so post when you get it. I was going to go and get another component and optical cable today just to be prepared and wanted to get clarification an one issue. All channels, even non-HD ones will be displayed through my component cables right? So I should have no reason to hook up the old screw on cable right. Thanks for the clarification.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also will my analog channels audio be output by the optical wire? What if I want to output audio through analog RCA cables to the tv and optical to the receiver at the same time (so I didn't HAVE to turn the receiver on everytime I wanted to watch cable but could if I wanted to)

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm sure you already know this since you scheduled an install, but for any other Indy users, here's what I know...

I just called Comcast to see what's up. They only have three channels on HDTV right now... NBC, HBO, Showtime. So if you do not have pay-per-view channels, you only get one station.

You must have an HDTV set with a digital tuner installed, an HDTV-capable monitor doesn't cut it.

You must subscribe to digital TV, but the new boxes do not cost extra. You pay the same $15 for digital TV as before, and you still get all of the old channels, you just get these three digital channels on top of it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You have to have an integrated HDTV tuner? That doesn't sound right. I thought integrated HDTV tuners were for OTA broadcasts only. Anyway there are only a couple of manufacturers who make these kinds of set. I think you may have gotten some erroneous information.

·
Registered
432 Posts
BG,

We're a couple weeks ahead of you in Detroit.

You'll most likely want to split the cable before the 5100. Run one leg into your TV and the other to the 5100. This way you can watch both analog and digital channels (digital and analog play nice on the same cable). The reason you will still need the analog input is that the analog channels 1-99 look like crap from the 5100. They looked even worse until Comcast flashed new firmware into the 5100 but they're still pretty bad.

The 5100 has multiple audio hookups. A standard L/R RCA pair that the installer WILL connect to your TV audio inputs. A digital coax that can be connected to your AVR/Prepro. And a TOSlink optical that shouldn't work but does. This setup has a plus and a minus. The plus is that for casual viewing of digital cable (ie. my wife and kids), you just turn on the TV, select the input that the 5100 feeds and use the TV's speakers for audio. For viewing the analog channels, select the input fed by the split (usually TV or Ant A) and you're all set. The minor downside is that when you want to do the 5.1 surround thing, you'll need to mute your TV speakers while your AVR/Prepro handles the audio.

Good luck with your install.

Austin

Quote:
Originally posted by Boston George
I was on the phone with comcast last night and she told me they would be recieving their Motorola 5100 boxes today or tommorow! She scheuled me for a Sat. installation. Anyone else from indy? If so post when you get it. I was going to go and get another component and optical cable today just to be prepared and wanted to get clarification an one issue. All channels, even non-HD ones will be displayed through my component cables right? So I should have no reason to hook up the old screw on cable right. Thanks for the clarification.

Also will my analog channels audio be output by the optical wire? What if I want to output audio through analog RCA cables to the tv and optical to the receiver at the same time (so I didn't HAVE to turn the receiver on everytime I wanted to watch cable but could if I wanted to)

·
Registered
432 Posts
BG,

As I said above, "The reason you will still need the analog input is that the analog channels 1-99 look like crap from the 5100. They looked even worse until Comcast flashed new firmware into the 5100 but they're still pretty bad."

Your choice as to how just how crappy PQ has to be before you'll consider splitting. Good luck.

Austin

Quote:
Originally posted by Boston George
So I CAN view everything through the component cables right? I don't really want to mess with splitting the signal.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just got my box today and I must say I'm impressed. I am running all channels, analog and digital, through the component inputs and I don't find the PQ of the analog channels to be that bad. I'm watching on a 65" Mits widescreen so it definetly brings out the flaws in the analog signal, but overall I am happy with it and won't be splitting the cable before it goes into the box.

Too bad we only have 3 channels available here at this time (Sho-HD, HBO-HD and NBC). Does anyone wlse from indy have their HD box yet? What are your impressions? Do you know when we will be receiving more channels?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm scheduled for installation this week.

Please view the following thread for some info regarding future channel additions, and requested action for adding WRTV (ABC)

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=201245

BG - Any tips / info I should know about for the install? Did your 5100 already have the updates applied? Are you also a subscriber to HBO and Show or are they "throwing them in" for a while?

JJK

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
I'm scheduled for installation this week.

Please view the following thread for some info regarding future channel additions, and requested action for adding WRTV (ABC)

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show...threadid=201245

BG - Any tips / info I should know about for the install? Did your 5100 already have the updates applied? Are you also a subscriber to HBO and Show or are they "throwing them in" for a while?

JJK
Yes my 5100 did have the update. He said that it picked them up as soon as he hooked it up. He did bring component cables but I already had some so I used mine. MY optical out did NOT work. I don't know if I have a defective box or what but I was not very concerned with this because I had already planned on using a coaxial cable which works fine:) .

As for Hbo and Showtime you still have to subscribe to them. We already had Hbo and I am thinking about adding Showtime. It kinda sucks that we only have a few channels. After a small taste of HDTV I NEED MORE!:mad:

BG

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks to Boston George for notification that Comcast HD was available in Indy. I initially bought a floor model Samsung SIR-150 and had intermittent sucess receiving OTA HD, enough to know that I was hooked. I watched an SEC game with some buddies and their jaws dropped to the floor when they saw the life-like picture quality. I switched from E* in anticipation of Comcast HD. Called Wednesday night, 3 installers showed up Thursday morning - seemed like one knowledgeable installer training the other two. Flawless setup. I have watched several movies on HBO-HD. Great Dolby 5.1 sound, picture is better than DVD, but not as good as the OTA CBS that i saw with the SIR-150. Watched ER on NBC-HD, but audio was out of sync and not in Dolby 5.1, and video was good but not outstanding. Sounds like ER was a problem nationwide. Looking forward to American Dreams tonight for another sample of NBC-HD. Upconversion of digital channels (100 +) looks great, maybe DVD quality. Analog 1-99 is poor. Menu speed is a channel-changing junkie's dream. I e-mailed WRTV asking when their HD signal would be carried by Comcast? I am prepared to be patient as new channels are rolled out, but missing out on the Super Bowl in HD is unreasonable.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by davrkw
I e-mailed WRTV asking when their HD signal would be carried by Comcast? I am prepared to be patient as new channels are rolled out, but missing out on the Super Bowl in HD is unreasonable.
Think of the uproar if the Colts make the Super Bowl!

HD Cable is still a several months out in Kokomo from what little I can gather from Insight.

·
Registered
2 Posts
For those of you with the service installed already, did Comcast charge you anything to come out and hook up the 5100?? If you already have their "digital" cable service, there is no additional fee, correct?? And lastly, how do the analog channels on the 5100 look compared to the old motorola digital box?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I already had the digital service which included the old motorola box rental. They charged me $11.80 to have 3 installers come out, swap out old box for the new 5100, connect to TV, and configure the new box. It is my understanding that I will pay the same amount for HD service as I was for the "digital" service.

On another note, I e-mailed the station manager at WRTV-6 (local ABC), asking when Comcast Indy would carry ABC-HD. He quickly replied that RTV 6 is currently in negotiations for the"rights" to carry our HDTV signal. As you may or may not know, any station or cable service (i.e. ESPN, CNN, HGTV, etc.) has to negotiate with individual cable systems. The issues are somewhat complex,including maintaining the quality of our DTV signal. I am hopeful something can be worked out as ABC has a terrific lineup

in High Definition this year, including the Super Bowl. As you know, WRTV-DT has an excellent over-the-air signal and is available free through an antenna system.

Doesn't sound promising.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I received my 5100 STB earlier this week. Some initial observations:

Let me preface by saying I am very happy that we have HD via Comcast here at Indy. Finally an affordable way to decode the HD signals. I realize there will be bumps in the road. But if Comcast will take note of the issues and seek solutions, I will be a happy customer.

1. The lip synch issue on WTHR-DT annoys the heck out of me. I do not subscribe to HBO or Showtime, so I do not know if this is an issue w/ them. I know Moto 5100 users in other cities have noted this issue. Are others in Indy experiencing this? From my brief observations, it occurs during true HD programming (i.e. The Tonight Show). I am running the audio via Digital Coax / SPDIF. It appears the video is slightly quicker than the audio. The non HD programming seems to not experience the lip synch problem.

2. The non-hd channels look poor. Per the suggestion of other 5100 users, I'm going to split my coax and run a line to the stb and the tv. This is unfortunate. I like using the guide. Speaking of which, is there anyway to view more than 30 minutes via the guide? As a former Direct customer, I am missing their 2 hour program guide.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JJK
The lip synch issue on WTHR-DT annoys the heck out of me.
I'm an OTA HD viewer, and WTHR-DT seems to have the worst sync problems in town. I don't know if it's an NBC problem or a WTHR-DT problem, but it's definitely not a Comcast problem. It only occurs with their HD pass-through. When they switch to NTSC upconvert, the sync is fine.

My wife noticed it during the Muppet Christmas movie a few weeks ago! Even during scenes involving no humans, only Muppets. That's pretty bad.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I will assume that most of you know this, but last night I noticed that CBS (WISH-DT) is now on channel 182.

Thank you comcast ... now only if WRTV will get off their high horse and allow ABC to be carried.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the tip on CBS. titantv listed the Sun Bowl as being shown in HD. I am watching it now, and, although it look better than the analog broadcast, it doesn't seem to be in HD. I know titantv is not always accurate. Anybody else watching the Sun Bowl? Is it in HD on your set? I am looking forward to the CBS primetime lineup tonite. I know that CBS is pretty reliable for their HD broadcasts - I don't think I have seen a really stunning HD broadcast on Comcast yet. I am using the OTA broadcast of a SEC game on CBS as a standard of "stunning". Nothing I have seen on NBC has seemed to be better than DVD quality, and none of the NBD-HD broadcasts have come across in DD 5.1.

·
Registered
61 Posts
No, the Sun Bowl is not in HD. I was excited, too, when I saw that listed on titantv.

I'd be curious to get the opinions of others in the Indy area when comparing OTA HD quality vs. Comcast's. I had the Zenith DTV1080, but returned it 9 months ago due to rebooting problems. My initial reaction is that the OTA picture quality is slightly sharper than Comcast's. However, it's been a while since I've seen an OTA HD picture, so I don't weigh much into my opinion.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.