AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In today's Sacramento Bee there's an article in the Business section confirming that Comcast will offer HD in the Sacramento area starting May 1st. At first they will offer in HD ABC, NBC, HBO and Showtime. Soon other HD channels will follow.

·
Registered
18 Posts
How funny. I called Comcast sacramento on Thursday, and the rep had NO IDEA what HD was and when it would be available on Comcast.

She kept telling me "if I had digital cable, then when the networks started broadcasting in HD, cable would have HD".

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I called 3 times to confirm HD in Sac and twice I was told yes. The last CRS I talked to didn't know what HD was. When I called today the CRS said that tomorrow is the training day for the HD information.

·
Registered
93 Posts
According to today's Sacramento Bee, in the Business section, the initial lineup will include ABC, NBC, Showtime and HBO. No mention of ESPN-HD, unfortunately.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Called Comcast yesterday and the rep that I was talking with added me to the early-interest list. I got a tracking number and pretty much assured that I would getting one of the early boxes after May 1st.

Apparently, there are only a limited amount of HD tuner boxes available. The pricing will be an extra $5/month for ABC, NBC, HBO, & SHO, plus any install charges (can't imagine what that means). The number I called was 800-824-2000.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The lady I talked to just now said PBS will also be part of the HD package but she said that I would have to call back May 1st to setup a appointment.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I would assume the $5 extra would be in addition to digital cable, since the CSR asked if I currently had dig cable and checked my account for services. I would be inclined to ask about HBO and SHO, if you get those for $5 automatically or if you have to pay for the whole multiplex thing...

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Hopefully, this little test or trial or whatever they want to call it, runs smoothly enough for Comcast to broaden their spectrum and push more channels as well as expand their coverage area. I don't know how long it will be until Comcast pushes the HD down to Stockton and Manteca, but I am waiting!

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
It's hard to tell Scott. Since our area is part of the regional Comcast Sacramento office, whenever someone says Sacramento it may include a larger area than Sacramento proper.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I dont think Stockton and Manteca are on the sacramento network, becuase you have a very different channel line up than Sacramento.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
The lady I just talked to had no idea where they would be rolling out the HD services or which channels would be available. She said that they hoped to have the information within the next month.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
An older friend of mine is interested in putting her shiny new HDTV to its intended use. I told her HD services would be available from Comcast starting May 1, and she is extremely interested.

However, she only subscribes to basic cable. No digital, no nothing. She pretty much just watches the local stations. Does anyone know if she can order just the HD box for the 5 bux a month? Will she have to upgrade to a digital level in order to get the local HD stations? She isn't interested in HBO or Showtime, but any of the locals she is definately interested in.

Thanks for any input!

Jeff

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Sounds like she needs a Set-Top-Box just to decode the over-the-air broadcasts. She doesn't even need to pay for it, just go grab the signals with an antenna and decoder.

If she is in Sac area she can get ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox (widescreen 480p) and WB (when broadcast), and I believe PBS is available over there too, right guys?

·
Registered
302 Posts
I talked to a Comcast employee today and was told that you do not need to subscribe to digital cable to get the new service. The $5 per month gets you the new HD box. You will get the KXTV and KCRA DTV signals. You will get HBO and Showtime only if you subscribe to those services.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.