AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 252 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Comcast HD is apparently being broadcast in Delaware (5 channels I believe). Now it's just a matter of getting a Motorola set top. Looks like Nov 1 is the availability date.

·
Registered
492 Posts
The information I was given was that it would cost $10.95/month to start for ABC, NBC, CBS, HBOHD, and ShotimeHD. In addition, you need to subscribe to a digital TV package. The HDD200 High Def decoder that plugs into your digital converter box can either be leased or purchased at cost. Leasing is $15/month - purchase is about $380.

The Customer Service Rep named TJ did the research for me. This info is about 4 weeks old so let me know if they've added any channels (PBS?) or changed the pricing.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Cabletech,

Thanks so much for the news. Excellent, Fantastic!

Any guesstimate about NJ Essex County area schedule?

(and to think this is happening without government arm-twisting... :))

-Dave

·
Registered
182 Posts
Excellent.

I suppose there is reason to hope that Middlesex County in NJ (specifically S. Plainfield, served by Comcast of Plainfield) might be included in the next wave of HDTV offering by Comcast.

If so, any idea as to when, Rob?

Also, it was mentioned that the customer should have a DCT-2000. Is this in addition to the HDD-200? If so, would they both be included in equipment lease?

Thanks,

Frank_K

S. Plainfield, NJ

·
Registered
217 Posts
Quote:
Also not included in the mix is Maryland in 2- way modem areas.
Sorry, but I didn't understand this comment. Can you explain?

I live in an area of Maryland that has just been rewired with fiberoptic cable and 2-way cable modem is available. When can I expect Comcast to make HDTV available here?

Thanks...

·
Registered
553 Posts
Exactly....

What he said.....

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When you say New Castle, DE, do you mean New Castle County or the town of New Castle? I would assume the county. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Quote:
Maryland just as I said 2-way modem areas. Meaning if you area can have cable modems than it can have HDTV.
That part I pretty much understood. What wasn't clear is when will Comcast make HDTV available in Maryland? Nov. 1??

·
Registered
15 Posts
Cabletech,

Does the need to be able to receive the networks OTA in South Plainfield mean we are out of luck until new HD antennas are installed to replaced those lost in the WTC?

If so then we will probably be waiting a long time and therefore (unfortunately) the prospect of setting up 2 dishes on my roof looks more and more likely.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Cabletech
Willow Grove, PA
WooHoo! :D Thanks for the outstanding news - I live in a brick condo, and getting OTA HD has been a real challenge. Anyone in the market for a Samsung SIR T-150? :)

Just a few questions:

Quote:
$10.95 per month for Equipment lease gives access to ABC, NBC, CBS and either/both Premiums if customer subscribes to those Premiums.
Is this to cover the cost of the HD box, or in addition to (as Dan Stated)?

Quote:
Dolby Digital WILL be passed through via the High Speed serial port from HDTV decoder to customer Dolby Digital capable equipment.
Coax, I assume?

Quote:
A/O's

For those lucky enough to need an HDTV A/O the rate is $10.95.
What's an A/O?

Also:

Is there a down-converted output on the HD receiver that could be recorded by VCR/TiVo/etc? If so, is it the output from the digital cable box, or a separate one from the decoder?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Quote:
November 1 - PHILLY DMA:

Bucks County, PA

New Castle, DE

Coatesville, PA

Delaware County, PA

Burlington County, NJ

Levittown, PA

Gloucester County, NJ

Lower Merion, PA

Willow Grove, PA

Trenton, NJ

Philadelphia, PA

Montgomery County, PA

Pleasantville, NJ

Vineland, NJ

West Chester, PA
What no Berks County! Please if you won't give us HDTV than give the system back to TW.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hey, Rob:

Thanks for all of the info. (Although it sounds like Claude and I, here in Milburn and Livingston, respectively, will have to wait a while for service.)

Alan S.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Thanks for the info.

I called comcast and scheduled the installation on Nov. 3rd. Cool! Can't wait till Nov. 3rd. I'll post my comment once I saw HDTV picture from my cable on 106" screen :cool:

·
Registered
220 Posts
Is there any talk about providing HD MSG for those that get MSG in their area or is Cablevision not likely to cooperate on that one?

-Greg

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does Delaware County mean the Radnor Township System or is it the OLD Delaware County Cable system? I am on the Radnor System and can receive Digital Cable. Do you know if the November date applies to me?:confused:

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
If what you say about Maryland getting HDTV via cable in 2-way modem areas is great! :D Alot of the heavy populated counties already have this service (2-way cable modems). The question is when will Comcast provide service to Maryland in these areas and if the Counties near DC area will get ABC from Baltimore since WJLA will not pass thru HDTV.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JeffP

Anyone in the market for a Samsung SIR T-150? :)
I am. Does your smiley mean you're not serious?

I'll send you a PM.

Ben

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
Wow. I'm half happy, half pissed because I JUST bought a Dish 6000 because I didn't think Comcast cared much about West Chester. Any suggestions on what to do with it?

I assume the unit has YPrPb output based on the description I found at: http://www.earthstationsunltd.com/4dtv.html

What is everyone saying when they call comcast to request this? No offense to Comcast employees, but many of the customer service reps I have talked to barely know what digital cable is, much less introducing High-def into the picture.

·
Registered
102 Posts
When I call them, I just asked to add HDTV service to my account.

I call them twice, the first one, the cust. rep. told me that Nov. 1st only for Philadelphia area. Then I e-mail them through their website and go a response back and a phone number 1.800.222 something (i forgot and I already delete the e-mail). I call that number and no problem.

The cust. rep. told me that they already have flyers distributed about HDTV service, so they should now about this HDTV service. She has to ask the supervisor about the pricing, other than that... it's pretty much a smooth sailing. I'm set on the Nov. 3

I also live in Del. county. If your area has cable modem and digital cable services, there is a good change that your area also included in the Nov. 1st (Delaware County). Just give them a call.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I called this morning after reading this post, I was excited and actually thought about going back from dish. However when I inquired about HDTV in this area Baltimore, MD (13th l;argest TV market in country I think), he said well we offer digital cable, arggghhh. Idiots, Plus why should I pay extra for a box on top of a box to get HD. I think I am going to stay with Dish for now and maybe re-evaluate if comcast ever does their stuff in Baltimore. Aside from that everything else they offer is crap anyway. I am actually paying a 10dollar premium because of the crapy phone service for cable modem. Lucky Me!

Well normally I try not to make such a wonderful 1st impression but I have had it with comcast, bad service, idiot service reps, expensive and not very ground breaking as far as technology goes.

Hope I am still accepted here :D

Thanks

Howard :D

1 - 20 of 252 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.