AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in Detroit area, this morning comcast comes to install the Motorola 5100 at my house. My wife is home but I'm not, I get a call and am told by my wife that this is the installer's first time doing this and that he doesn't know what to do. My setup is such: A Sony 36HS500 tv, a yamaha receiver, and a Tivo. So shouldn't it be easy to run the component cables from the 5100 to my tv, a toslink cable to my Yamaha receiver and then a s-video and L and R RCA outs to the Tivo. You would think that that would be simple, but no. First the installer doesn't even have component cables, so he rigs up regular analogue audio cables instead to the tv. He connects nothing to the receiver, and only sends audio to the Tivo, so right now while I'm at work my wife can't use the tivo, and I'm not even sure that we're getting anything through on the HD channels. The installer is supposed to come back later with someone more experienced. For those of you who have had comcast HD in Detroit installed, what type of service did you get, and what cables were provided to you?

Thanks!

·
Registered
432 Posts
Hi Jim,

The cable set the installer used was a bit different than I've seen before. Very high-quality 9' or 10' (I haven't measured) 5-cable bundle. 3 for component video, 2 for audio (5100 to TV audio in). He didn't supply optical or coax to run from 5100 to my AVR but I had an extra so no problem. I kind of like the way things are wired since the wife can watch using the TV speakers and not have to dork around with the AVR to get full 5.1 surround. My guy was hot off a 3 hour training session and I was the first on his list as well. The guiding rule is ALWAYS be present when anything is added or rearranged with your system. Good luck.

Austin

Quote:
Originally posted by durangojim
I'm in Detroit area, this morning comcast comes to install the Motorola 5100 at my house. My wife is home but I'm not, I get a call and am told by my wife that this is the installer's first time doing this and that he doesn't know what to do. My setup is such: A Sony 36HS500 tv, a yamaha receiver, and a Tivo. So shouldn't it be easy to run the component cables from the 5100 to my tv, a toslink cable to my Yamaha receiver and then a s-video and L and R RCA outs to the Tivo. You would think that that would be simple, but no. First the installer doesn't even have component cables, so he rigs up regular analogue audio cables instead to the tv. He connects nothing to the receiver, and only sends audio to the Tivo, so right now while I'm at work my wife can't use the tivo, and I'm not even sure that we're getting anything through on the HD channels. The installer is supposed to come back later with someone more experienced. For those of you who have had comcast HD in Detroit installed, what type of service did you get, and what cables were provided to you?

Thanks!

·
Registered
210 Posts
My experience was similar to Austin's. The Component cables used on my setup was of very high quality. I also recommend being present if possible when things are hooked up. I have an HTPC(myhd), JVC 30k, DVD, Tivo, Pioneer amp, and DTC100, all going to one tv. I don't have enough confidence in anyone to hook into it as I did most of the wiring myself, and even I'm not 100% sure where things go.

--------------------

Dave

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had a four day HD installation marathon.

The intial appointment was Monday, 12/2, 830-1030am. At 1115, two installers showed up with a Motorola 5100. No component cables. No optical cable. Fortunately, I had both on hand...

The installers hooked up the 5100 using my cables, tuned in PBSHD, and said, "Isn't that awesome?!" Little did the installers know that the 5100 was outputting the channels in 480i only! The firmware upgrade wasn't available in Detroit yet and the 5100 wasn't yet set up to out put HD signals. The installers thought the PBSHD in 480i was the best PQ available.

They were shocked when I showed them how to change the 480i to 1080i output. PBSHD THEN looked incredible.

At the time, my HBOHD station had a "One Moment Please" message. The installers said it should come on within 24 hours and if it didn't I should call 888-COMCAST. They left.

Tuesday afternoon, no HBOHD. I called Comcast and they "hit" the box with another signal. This action fried the 5100 completely. After the Comcast hit, the box was unable to tune ANY channels, no HD, no digital, no analog....no tv at all. The Comcast dispatcher said he'd send out a technician on Wednesday to service the 5100. I specifically told the dispatcher to instruct the installer to bring a new 5100 to swap out the fried box.

Wednesday afternoon. Technician comes out as scheduled to fix my cable issues. He looks at my 5100 and agrees its fried and needs to be replaced. But guess what? HE DID NOT BRING A NEW 5100 WITH HIM. He said he wasn't told to have a new 5100 on hand, so a new appointment would need to be scheduled. A screaming match with a supervisor at 888-COMCAST ensued. They agreed to send out a new tech, a "trained" HD tech on Thursday with a new 5100.

Thursday night. TWO Comcast techs arrive, each has a new 5100. They remove the first, fried 5100 and hook up a new one. They radio dispatch to send a "hit" signal. After the hit, the second box gets fried just like the first one. The techs are confounded. They check the cable signal and verify a strong feed. They hook up the third box and radio for a "hit" signal. THAT box gets fried too. If you are keep score at home, we are now up to 5 techs and 3 boxes in 4 days...

After the two techs confab, they call a THIRD tech that's in the area. The third tech shows up with ANOTHER 5100 (6 techs/4 boxes). The three techs hook up the third box, call for the "hit" signal, and....it works. This box had the firmware upgrade already loaded in. After some testing, the three techs headed out and I had HD cable.

It still works as of last night. Sheeeeeeeesh.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Gulp!

Here I sit waiting for Comcast to show up (I took the afternoon off) to bring and hook up a box so I can finally get a HD feed. Is this going to be my lucky day or not?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I went home at lunch today to try to set things right. This is what I found --

Moto 5100 hooked up to my tv to the component jacks using crappy analogue audio cable - the cheap kind that comes with av equipment and is about as thin as angel hair pasta. The 5100 was also hooked up to my Tivo but the problem was that the installer put the jacks going from the tivo into the "in" jacks on the Moto 5100 (hmm I wonder if that's why the Tivo wasn't working;) ) I then sent a s-video out from the 5100 to the tivo and finally all worked there. Next I plugged in the toslink cable from the back of the 5100 to the my Yammy 995.

So everything worked...except when I watched through the component feed and digital sound there was a 1-2second delay in the voice and picture, also HBO HD was not yet able to be viewed, the box said something like "searching please wait"

So I called up customer disservice and told them how the installer knew nothing about how to hook up the box, how I had asked to install the thing myself last week but was told that an "expert" needed to come out and install it because this is a complicated process, and how after having the box installed for 5 hours I still didn't have HBO and there was the lip sync problem.

So while I'm on hold, all of a sudden HBO comes up and the lipsync is gone.

The a-hole cosumer service rep gives me a sarcastic laugh and states that I should have waited before a called.

Anyway moral of the story is make sure that you're there during installation. Also they're supposed to drop off the correct component cables tomorrow but there no way in hell I'm letting them touch my equipment again.:mad:

·
Registered
270 Posts
Fortunately, I was here for the install.

I simply took the box from the tech and performed the install myself. Similiar to other peoples experiences, the tech did not have any component cables. He told me, "There is a shortage at the warehouse." Luckily, I was prepared with my own Monster Video 3's.

Anyway, after I set up everything the installer asked me if I worked for Comcast. I said no this is just my hobby.

He left. I'm happy.

Now I just have to finish setting up my new Sony STR-DA4ES.

Folks, if you are at home just take the box and do it yourself!

gammite:D

·
Registered
270 Posts
Folks,

I just checked my firmware and software versions for my newly installed DCT-5100.

They are:

Software – 50.00-1078

Firmware – 00

Does anyone know when I can expect to get the upgrade signal sent to my box? How often does Comcast send the signal?

Thanks,

gammite

·
Registered
194 Posts
My install is scheduled for tomorrow AM. I pulled out my DTC 100 a few days ago. I made all connections and fed all necessary cables (Component set, TOSlink, cable, and power) out through the newly created opening. That should do it-I hope.

Does anybody know if the RF cable out on the 5100 works as a straight pass-through (at the very least when the box is powered off)? I want an analog cable connection to my TV for watching channels 1-99 when the box is powered off. I'll use a splitter before the box if need be, but it will be that much simpler if the unaltered signal can just pass through the box.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by gammite
Folks,

I just checked my firmware and software versions for my newly installed DCT-5100.

They are:

Software – 50.00-1078

Firmware – 00

Does anyone know when I can expect to get the upgrade signal sent to my box? How often does Comcast send the signal?

Thanks,

gammite
Those values correspond to the values from my box, which has been upgraded. So I presume you have the latest firmware. Another way to confirm it is to check the setup screen (hit "MENU" when the box is turned off) -- if you have the options "TV Type", "YPbPr Output" and "4:3 Override", you have the latest firmware.

And to answer Jim_F's question, you'll need the splitter before the box. There is no pass-through when the box is off; you just get a black screen.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Two techs showed up on time, no component cables, they used my HD rat shack audio video cable for the component feed, it works but I am going to get some decent component cables on my own. They, too, used cheezy audio cables from the box to TV which I will also replace. I was ready with my 1694a coax to feed the digital audio to my receiver. I have the same firmware and software as Gammite, they said it was the most current. Picture quality on all channels is better than with the previous digital box and the channel guide is MUCH faster! SHOHD is not working yet, I need to call and get them to turn it on, hope they don't fry my new box doing it! . Sound seems as good as DVD on all digital channels. Overall I am happy, I didn't really expect them to use cables I would be happy with.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,616 Posts
Comcast is reading this topic and I expect will be trying to correct the problems mentioned above.

As far as the other issues, for the $20 install fee, I wouldn't expect them to provide an optical audio cable and I also wouldn't expect then to integrate the 5100 into my system. After they verify signal integrity and 5100 function, I would want to do the rest.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken H
Comcast is reading this topic and I expect will be trying to correct the problems mentioned above.

As far as the other issues, for the $20 install fee, I wouldn't expect them to provide an optical audio cable and I also wouldn't expect then to integrate the 5100 into my system. After they verify signal integrity and 5100 function, I would want to do the rest.
I whole heartedly agree with Ken. I was one of the first to get the install out of the Ann Arbor office and the 2 techs that came didn't know everything but they were friendly and amicable and enjoyed hooking up my installation a lot better than the first one they did because of my equipment being newer and the helpful suggestions I gave.

I was supplied with the 5-RG6 component connections mentioned earlier. I was actually pleasantly surprised by this. The installer didn't think the SPDIF was active but I connected it after they left, I never expected Comcast would supply one of these.

I know that with my equipment I made sure that I went to work later and was there for the install. I don't want anybody but myself responsible for connections and my equipment.

I think the bottom line is that Comcast is trying hard to service us well. I've had 3 different program managers or engineers call me at various problems with problems I've had and all have left their direct numbers for me to call without hesitation. In addition we have an email for HDTV in MI that will give us instant communication with any HDTV related problems. For the line item that says HDTV from Comcast ---- $0.00, I think its worth some of the initial problems, especially when the Superbowl comes in Jan and HDNET in early '03.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ken H:

Is Comcast aware that analog channels (2 - 99) look worse on the 5100 through component cables than they did with the older digital boxes outputting through coax?

Any fix in the works?

·
Registered
194 Posts
The box is up and running. The only HDTV that's on right now is the PBS loop and it looks great. The installer hadn't placed a 5100 before, but I had everything ready, so it went pretty smoothly.

So far, so good.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I am so nervous about having this installed today. Unfortunately, I can't get out of work and my brother has no class on Tuesday so I'm having him wait for the installer. I told him to call as soon as they get there and to just hook it up himself and test it to make sure it works. I don't want Comcast mucking around with my system.

We have all invested thousands in our entertainment systems and I just don't understand why they can't just let us pick up the box and install ourselves? Either that or get a crew that works past 4pm so that we can be home when they come.

I wouldn't mind working a few nights a week for Comcast to help with roll-out:D

Rick

·
Registered
429 Posts
Does anyone in the Royal Oak or surrounding communities with the Comcast twin cable system have a successful HD installation? Comcast is telling my neighbor they haven't figured out how to provide the HD service over the twin cable system.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Your Comcast stories have me a little spooked. Right now I've just got Comcast analog (and broadband), but I think I'm ready to take the plunge. I've ordered a Sony HS10 front projector for HDTV viewing, and I'm trying to figure out whether to go with Comcast, DirecTV or Dish.

Any obvious pros/cons for our area?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I do not have comcast cable. I have Directv and OTA. But, with many months to prepare for the installation of digital/HD, I think it not right that Comcast sends inexperienced people around to install the equipment in the home. It is really not that difficult to install this equipment and the training would not take that long. Contrary to the people on this Forum, the vast majority of people out there know nothing about digital/HD. It is up to the company installing the equipment to do the work in a timely and professional manner. Bottom line, the customer should not have to offer any assistance to the people doing the installation. And the customer should know that the installers are doing their job correctly. Just one guy's opinion.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by C Hering
Your Comcast stories have me a little spooked. Right now I've just got Comcast analog (and broadband), but I think I'm ready to take the plunge. I've ordered a Sony HS10 front projector for HDTV viewing, and I'm trying to figure out whether to go with Comcast, DirecTV or Dish.

Any obvious pros/cons for our area?

Thanks.
C Hering,

Check your e-mail.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.