AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Comcast analog cable in my house and have a DirecTV account strictly for HD. But since DTV changed their policy and now require a basic package to subscribe to their HD package (no more HBO ala carte for me) I feel like I'm spending too much for the HD on DTV (it's costing me ~$40 for the DTV packages on top of the $48 I pay for my Comcast analog cable).

I'd like to consolidate and get Comcast digital cable with HD, their local (SF Bay area) HD lineup doesn't include the CBS (KPIX) feed.

With my current DTC-100 I can feed it both the DTV and OTA signals, but the Comcast HD box looks to only have a single input (for their digital cable feed). Since my TV doesn't have multiple HD inputs, how do you combine both HD digital cable and OTA-HD? A-B switch box with DTC-100 on one side and cable box on the other? Any more elegant solutions out there?

[EDIT]

Just realized that while I've got HD programming on my mind, this is really a hardware question. Can a mod move it to the HD Hardware forum instead?

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,766 Posts
Do a search for switcher.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
We're talking about a component video switcher right?

If so, there are a bunch of good ones out there. Zektor, Audio Authority, Key Digital and Inday all make excellent switchers. I tried them all, liked them all, but settled on the Zektor.

Also, a good A/V receiver these days includes component video switching as well. Just make sure it's rated about 35 mhz or so.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, next question. My DTC-100 outputs RGB, but the Comcast box outputs component. Using the Zektor switcher I'd need to manually switch my TV's input mode between RGB and component depending on the source, correct?

So in order to save ~$25 a month in cable/DTV bills, I'll need to invest $300 in a switcher plus have to do the manual input switch on my TV? Even with macros on my Pronto this is going to be more compicated than I'd like. I think I'll just have to wait for Comcast to get the full HD lineup on board before dropping DTV for digital cable.

As always, it's a great comfort to be able to drop in here to get answers before making any (regretable) cash investments.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Based on what I am reading I think you may already have all the equipment you need.

a)You mentioned that your tv only has one HD input but

b) then indicate that you can switch it between component and RGB/VGA. If so, you have the "switcher" you need built in to the tv.

If b) is the case,

i)order comcast hdtv and attach to tv via component input.

ii) cancel directv but leave dish up

iii) use ota antenna to receive CBS

So you'll only need to switch to RGB to watch cbs (assuming everything else is available on comcast)

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by tfinan
Based on what I am reading I think you may already have all the equipment you need.

a)You mentioned that your tv only has one HD input but

b) then indicate that you can switch it between component and RGB/VGA. If so, you have the "switcher" you need built in to the tv.

If b) is the case,

i)order comcast hdtv and attach to tv via component input.

ii) cancel directv but leave dish up

iii) use ota antenna to receive CBS

So you'll only need to switch to RGB to watch cbs (assuming everything else is available on comcast)
The problem is that I only have one set of component/RGB jacks on the back of my TV. The TV setup can set these jacks as RGB or component depending on what you're plugging in. But with my DTC-100 outputting RGBHV and the Comcast box doing component there's just not enough input jacks for both without some form of switch.

Besides, looking at the local Comcast HD offering I've realized that they don't have HD-ESPN yet, so that means I'd need to keep my DTV going at least until the end of the year anyway (or at least until Comcast started offering it).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Some have successfully used rca "y" cables from radio shack to share connections. I assume you'd have 3 which would have wires in both sides of the "y" and 2 that would only have the remaining RGBV feeds. Could you then power down one of the boxes and switch the setting on your tv, hopefully with a remote?

I tried this approach before I bought a NAD receiver with 3 component inputs. I found that it didn't work with the comcast box since it didn't really seem to stop the component output when powered off. It did work for sharing with a dvd and ota box though.

Comcast in NJ has espn-hd now but I haven't seen much in actual HD yet. Mostly fat and squashed little leaguers!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay, so Comcast has lured me back into ordering their digital cable so I again am trying to see if their HD box will work for me. My question is, if I connect a switch to my set will the TV's component HD input work if I have cables plugged into the H & V inputs (even if the H & V cables aren't sending any signal)?

The manual says that the TV will sense DVD component input and automatically turn that input on, so I'm worried that it will also auto sense the H & V cables being connected to the HD input and not sync right with the component signal.

Anyone out there tried this? The install isn't for another week so I still have time to cancel th HD box.

Thanks.

EDIT: BTW the TV is a Mits 65905

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.