AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I signed of for a Comcast HD setup. I wanted to stay with D* but cannot justify spending $350-800 for good reciever. Then you have to get an outdoor Ant. for networks?? Comcast box isn't as good as I'd like but will keep me happy until box prices fall. Honestly, I don't know how D* can compete with Cable in areas with HD cable available.

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
Quote:
Honestly, I don't know how D* can compete with Cable in areas with HD cable available.
Do you get the two Hdnet channels on Comcast? Do you get Discovery Theater HDTV on Comcast? Do you get a HDTV PPV channel on Comcast? Do you get the NFL CBS game in HDTV when it isn't showing on your local affiliate? I think you have your answer.

In some markets, the Comcast equipment (the 3100HD comes to mind) is quite inferior to popular DirecTV receivers as well. Next spring, DirecTV will have their DirecTivo HDTV.

·
Registered
85 Posts
i would love to have cable HD as well.....saving me a lot of money by not having to buy a $600 receiver and having to put up an OTA antenna.

but.....my local cable co (adelphia) has been painstakingly slow at launching HD. they've been promising HD in my area to be launch "next month" for the past 4 months.

also, when adelphia does finally launch, they'll only have NBC, ABC, PBS, HBO, and SHO on HD. that's an egregiously weak HD lineup if you ask me. i'm sure they'll eventually get more, but seeing how slow everything is coming out in my neck of the woods, i won't be holding my breath.

in an ideal scenario where cable HD is actually launched in my area with the same channels that's available to me on Directv, i'd go with cable every time......but the "aforementioned" ideal scenario won't be happening any time soon. probably 2 years is my guess.....at least with adelphia. i need my HD NOW!!!!

·
Registered
357 Posts
Similiar situation with E*. I'm tired of spending extra money for the extra hardware and dishes. Just got the comcast HD box this month for $6/month and no more equipment worries. Getting ABC, NBC, Fox, INHD 1&2, ESPNHD at no additional cost other than basic service which I would have anyway. The satellite companies use to be on the cutting edge, but not now. They've let cable catch up.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Also note that many of us with Comcast also have Comcast Broadband, and the $15 discount helps narrow the cost differential. (Do D* customers have a separate broadband provider or use DSL?). With ESPNHD (a few games a week), CSN (a few games a month now that the O's are done), INHD and INHD2 and now PBS, HD choices are now more available on Comcast. Plus, I dnn't have to worry about something blocking the line-of-site. I've heard that DiscoveryHD is a future possibility, but CBS still is unlikely (Viamcom wants too much money).

Rich N.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I honestly think Satellite will be trailing Comcast and other cableco's really they already are for HD offerings in many area's.

For instance here in seattle we get 7 HD channels right now

ABC,PBS,ESPNHD(if you consider strecthovision HD),INHD1 &2, HBOHD, & SHOHD.

and by 1Q 2004 we will have NBC,WB,UPN,FOX, and a local independent owned by the local NBC affiliate, also possibly HDNET,DiscoveryHD.

To me the choice is quite clear, no additional charge to have the new box brought out and no additional charge for access to the HD material.

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
Quote:
To me the choice is quite clear, no additional charge to have the new box brought out and no additional charge for access to the HD material.
Of the channels you listed, only the InHDs and locals are part of basic cable on Comcast in my area. The remaining requires some level of digital package, which may or may not be less expensive than a standard package + HD package on satellite.

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
I don't like the clunky STB comcast rents and the ad-filled program guide is awful. You can't even watch a show while you surf the EPG, and there's no one-click auto-record for future shows. If you don't like the lack of features on their equipment, too bad. You have no choice.

If I had digital cable in every room, the extra monthly cost would pay for a great D* HD system in less than 2 years. And I couldn't get two of my favorite channels HDnet & HDnet Movies.

As for broadband, I have DSL. Most of my neighbors that had comcast cablemodem have dumped it because the speed varies too much in my neighborhood [YMMV]. And there's no backup dialup or free nationwide roaming dialup like DSL.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by arxaw
If I had digital cable in every room, the extra monthly cost would pay for a great D* HD system in less than 2 years.
That’s a ridiculous argument. How would the cost of digital cable in each room be any different than the cost of a directv box in every room? A directv box has both an initial cost and a monthly fee per box. Digital cable boxes only have a monthly cost no initial fee. Also you have much more options with cable including not putting a box in some rooms and still being able to watch channels 2-99 for no additional cost.

IMO cable will win out when it comes to HD they have much more bandwidth at their disposal than satellite companies.

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
Quote:
Do you get the two Hdnet channels on Comcast? Do you get Discovery Theater HDTV on Comcast? Do you get a HDTV PPV channel on Comcast? Do you get the NFL CBS game in HDTV when it isn't showing on your local affiliate? I think you have your answer.
I have D* and I am also considering a switch to Comcast. Comcast is expected to add Discovery HD and an In Demand HD PPV channel soon. I am hoping that Comcast also picks up HDNet and HDNet Movies, but the InHD channels should somewhat fill that void. The big difference is that in the Boston area, I can get NESN HD on INHD 2, with Red Sox and Bruins games in HD. I also get all my local channels in HD except CBS. Although I have an OTA receiver, in my area, Fox and NBC are "buggy" but I have no problems getting consistently strong signals from my CBS affiliate.

Also, I do away with annoying satellite reception issues and, more importantly, compression artifacts from D*.

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Cajun
That’s a ridiculous argument.
Not really.

I was comparing similar channel packages (although there are several more channels on D* than comcast), and being able to view them on every TV in the house. I'm not interested in snowy, interference-ridden analog cable.

Just to get SD digital cable on one TV from comcast in my area runs ~60 bucks a month, when you include all the ridiculous local franchise fees and taxes. Add another 5 bucks for an HD box plus another $10 per additional digital STB, and what is ridiculous are comcast's monthly rates.

And then there's comcast's horrible service record in my area [YMMV]. Example: A buddy of mine ordered cmcst's HDTV package. The idiot that installed it connected 2 of the component video cables to the AUDIO-IN jacks on his TV. Then, the installer put the TV on channel 3 and told him that's how he was supposed to watch HDTV. Comcast repair told him the same thing.

I hope your mileage varies, because comcast sucks here.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Quote:

Also, I do away with annoying satellite reception issues and, more importantly, compression artifacts from D*.

Have you seen Comcast SD channels? In my area they are awful, the only advantage I see that Comcast has is NESN but other than that I would not switch. I do give them credit though they are adding more HD than I thought they would. There customer service by the way is off the charts as being the worst in the industry.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I guess it is highly dependant on the local Comcast cable system because my mileage does vary. In my area Comcast has a good analog picture on most of the analog channels I watch. The analog PQ is better than channels I have seen on D*. I am able to use the split screen and pop features of my TV. I have no additional cost for the TVs in the bedrooms and the one in the garage. I get a discount on my cable modem for using Comcast cable. I can watch TV when it’s raining. I don't even have digital cable just extended. I do miss the interactive guide but for me that’s not enough reason to go to d*. I have an OTA STB for my local HD channels. I just refuse to pay over $600 for a D* HD STB and still have to pay a monthly fee plus $11, (I think its $11) for their HD package. When Comcast gets HD in my area I will upgrade my package and gladly pay the $10 per month for the HD STB, and I will get all HD channels at no additional cost (except of course HBO, Showtime HD channels).

As for technicians and CSRs for the most part they all suck it really doesn’t matter which company they work for.

·
Registered
24 Posts
For those of you like me that live for the NFL from Sep to Jan every year:

DirecTV renewed their exclusive licensing agreement with NFL Sunday Ticket so you can't get it on cable. The possibility exists that they will offer HD broadcasts of NFL games as they become available (of course their is no guarantee).

·
Registered
754 Posts
Oh yeah forgot one more HD channel here in Seattle, theres also FSNWHD That they broadcast mariners home games in HD on as well and not available on satellite.

And mileage does vary Seattle is Comcast's #3 market so we get lots of stuff before other markets and lots more money thrown are way guess living up here isnt so bad afterall.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.