AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sorry if this has been posted already. If it has just post a link please.

Let me just lay out the basics... I have Comcast cable and an HD Package from them, and I am adding a HTPC to my system. It is running Windows 7 MC, using the WinTV-HVR 1600 tuner.

Here's the question:

Is there a way to receive all the HD channels that is offered in my HD package with out using the Comcast provided set-top box? Because I can only pick up the local "free" HD channels if I plug my HTPC directly to the cable bypassing the HD cable box altogether. I'm thinking I need to adjust the settings on the tuner or in WMC, because I have seen pictures of people accessing several cable HD channels within WMC. Do I need an even more specialized TV tuner or am I just missing something?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
In order to get all the Comcast HD channels you'll need an ATI DCT, Ceton tuner, or a PC tuner that supports cable cards. You'll also need to rent a cable card to decrypt the channels. The Ceton 4 tuner card will cost around $400 minus the cable card tuner but the HD HomeRun Tuner will cost less but will only have 2 tuners. The ATI one is available right now but it only has 1 tuner. If you just want local HD then your current setup is fine.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
^^^ you could do that, or get a Hauppauge HD PVR, and run a component cable from your receiver to that. you will only get one channel at a time, and it will have to be whatever channel the cable box is on. and you will have to find a workaround for changing channels, but there are some out there.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was thinking about doing what you said sitlet. but it would be nice to have it all in one and not having to worry about a cable box and HTPC to watch tv.

I have read about those cable cards. I thought they were for receiving channels like HBO HD and Starz HD, not for channels like TBS HD, History HD, ect...

Let me just clarify this... I need to have a cable card to receive channels like History HD, TBS HD, ect?

Second Question - Do I still need to have the HD package from Comcast to receive the premium HD channels or can I just have a basic cable package and still get the premium HD channels? (with a cable card)

Thanks for the help. I'm sorry, these are probably simple to you but I have never connected a HTPC to cable before and this is all new to me.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexdiman /forum/post/18135298

Let me just clarify this... I need to have a cable card to receive channels like History HD, TBS HD, ect?

Yes (or a set top box, which is not too great for an HTPC).

Quote:
Second Question - Do I still need to have the HD package from Comcast to receive the premium HD channels or can I just have a basic cable package and still get the premium HD channels? (with a cable card)

To me 'Premium' means HBO, Showtime etc. and generally includes HD versions of those channels. 'basic cable' generally means ch 2-30 (also called 'limited' or 'lifeline' cable and costs $15-20 - it includes only HD local broadcast channels. For the packages between these two, you should try to call and get a 'rate card' from Comcast and see what channels are included with each tier of service. It can and does vary across the country.

·
Registered
13,531 Posts

Quote:

Yes. A CableCard is required for all non-local digital channels.

Quote:

A CableCard only allows you to receive the channels you get as part of your cable subscription.

A CableCard will get you the same channels as the cable box. If your receive the channels with the HD cable box, then you'll get them with the CableCard.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.