AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stopped by their kiosk while shopping today and got into a discussion with the salesperson about their new service.

Basic cable which gives me the HD/Digital locals with no drop outs is $12.00 per month and an additional $4.50 for the Motorola 5100 stb. The HD service right now is HBO East & West along with Showtime East and the local HD/Digital feeds for channel 2 & 5. He said that once the other locals come up they will be available as part of the same package.

He also mentioned that Sunday Ticket will begin being offered through Comcast along with HDnet beginning next year !?!

So will I keep DTV and all of the OTA problems when the Comcasts' have almost the same programming for about the same price ?

I'm willing to go back to cable after all of these years if they can compete on the HD and sports levels but who knows what if anything DTV has up it's sleeve now that they're $600 million wealthier than they were just yesterday. Anyone have better information or are we all destined to wind up with Comcast in this area?

It seems to me that DBS service is in real trouble when it comes to HD so what's our alternative?

·
Registered
96 Posts
I am interested to see what quality the picture is b/c OTA is a big hassel as most of us already have found out.

Does anyone know what if any encryption they are using b/c I have a PC based tuner card (myHD) that works for 8VSB? I am currently a loyal DirecTivo user, and I doubt if I will lose my Tivo, but I may add the lowest level cable.

Does anyone know what the lowest price you can pay for the cable w/HD. I currently pay $10 for limited basic for really no reason except that my cable modem bill would go up $10 if I cut my cable. I am wondering if I can get the box for an additional $5 and be done??

·
Registered
9 Posts
I got the DCT-5100 on Saturday, hooked it, and it had the worst picture for analog that I have ever seen. I started looking at the forums and noticed that all of the early adopters in each new city had the same problem, and that the firmware upgrade fixed that. I also noticed that someone else said that it would take 2 to 3 months for Comcast to rollout the upgrade, so I disconnected the DCT and replaced with my recently downgraded SIR-T150. I called Comcast this morning to get an approx date of the first firmware update, it actually occured this morning, so I went home and hooked to DCT back up, but I'm not sure whether the firmware update worked (my version number for firmware is still 0). Analog does look better, but still is slightly out of wack. Sound of course is digital, so prob with it, tonight is the first time I will see how the hdtv signals look on ABC and CBS. I looked at the firmware version on the DCT, it doesn't look like it changed (I have a S/W version number of 50.00-1078, and I think that most of the "good" version numbers that I have seen are in the 5001 range).

Now on to the fun stuff. I have hooked up the DOCSIS modem (the DCT has a DOCSIS-based cable modem built in to it) to my network, I got

the MAC address for it from the bottom of the case. I am going to use DOCSDIAG to see if I can get into the STB and turn some of the stuff on (this may be fruitless as it looks like there is a flash memory or some type of chip housing that is empty on the board). If anyone knows where I can get a socket for the bolts that hold this thing together, let me know. I have NO problem opening this thing up, it has WAY too many ports (1 RJ-45, 3 USB [one in front, 2 in back], a Smart Card reader, and front A/V hookups) for me not to. Jeez, I can't believe that Comcast would put something out that screams to be hacked (DISCLAIMER - For the righteous people that want to flame me, take notice. I DO NOT STEAL MY CABLE SERVICE [NEITHER VOICE OR DATA], AND I NEVER WILL).

If anybody else knows anything about the upgrade today (like what I should look for, which I would think would be a change in the FW number), let me know.

·
Registered
9 Posts
And I forgot something else, when I picked up my STB, I asked the young woman that I received it from what the timetable was for more channels. She didn't seem very confident that Comcast is going to get DiscoveryHD or HDNet. She stated that NBC and FOX would more than likely be the one added. She also said that the word around the main office is that NFL Sunday Ticket also isn't going to happen. It seems that Dish and DirecTv are keeping the non-OTA channels for now.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am getting the comcast hookup this evening (west meade), and wanted to pass along that I will be paying $10.50/mo for local stations plus $4.50/mo for the box rental. I suppose I will see tonight what the picture quality looks like, but these initial reports are concerning, since my motivation for this switch was to sell my Samsung SIR-T165 decoder while it's still current. I hope I won't have a need for it, but will post a report tomorrow on the hookup.

·
Registered
297 Posts
On WSMV's website:

"Please note that we are only broacasting HDTV over the air now and have not finished our agreement with Comcast Cable. We are working on this process and will let you know when you can watch WSMV-DT on Comcast."

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had the comcast hooked up last night & all I can say is that I was scambling to get my Samsung OTA STB hooked back up. analog stations were horrible. ABC & CBS were pixelating and dropping out every 10 seconds. Comcast seems to think I need new cable from the pole, and admittedly, the cable from the pole to my house looks very old and is probably not RG6. We'll see if it works out, but for now I am not pleased.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dyp911e
I had the comcast hooked up last night & all I can say is that I was scambling to get my Samsung OTA STB hooked back up. analog stations were horrible. ABC & CBS were pixelating and dropping out every 10 seconds.
I know how you feel. I have had the box hooked up since december and CBS and ABC rarely come in at all. I don't really understand, since both HBOHD channels always come in fine. Right now, I'm watching the Raiders and Jets using my old Samsung 150 OTA stb. It's really annoying to have to get up and change the cables when CBS and ABC aren't working and I need to watch something. For the past three weekends, CBS and ABC havn't come in at all. They seem to come in better during the week, but it's spotty at best. I'm going to call Comcast on Monday and see what they say. The cable to the pole just got replaced, so it might be the cable run through the basement. I don't know. Let me know if you ever get yours worked out.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I had a Comcast guy come out to look at why our HD channels don't come in. It turns out that the cable surge protector was eating a good portion of the signal. I've had it hooked up without the surge protector for several days now and the reception is much better. Anyone know of a surge protector designed for digital transmissions?

Lee

·
Registered
972 Posts
FWIW...I've not been able to receive WTVF-DT OTA since 3PM Sunday afternoon. ABC and NBC are perfect. I've decided not to move to north Nashville just to get CBS. ;)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Jon J,

For what it is worth the picture was beautiful Sunday night on CBS, but the outcome of the game made it unbearable to watch. I have noticed that none of us Nashvillians' posted on the AFC Championship thread. Just too darn painful. I do hope however that Comcast fixes there service as it would be great to get a second line for $5 per month until one of the new HD-PVR's become available.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.