AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased an HD rear projection TV (Toshiba 46H83) so need to have Comcast replace my current digital STB with an HDTV cable box. All my audio/video connections go through my A/V receiver. Right now, I am using 3 cables (composite video, right & left audio) to connect my STB box with my receiver - those are the best connections my current General Instruments STB has.

What is the best way to connect the HDTV cable box to my receiver? My receiver has no DVI input.... Or do I connect the STB directly to the TV via a DVI cable (if the STB has a DVI output connection) and only have the audio going through my A/V receiver? From what I have read here, it sounds as if the cable box will be some sort of Motorola STB, but I won't have it until Saturday so I can't give any details about it.

Please help a newbie! :eek:

·
Registered
465 Posts
I would run component cables from the STB to the TV. Run the audio through the receiver. Comcast has DVI enabled only in certain area so far and mine isn't one of them but, yes, you would run the DVI direct to the TV.

jack

·
Registered
26 Posts
The Comast HDTV box does have a DVI connector but it probably isnt enabled yet in the firmware - you should try it though if you can.

You can check your firmware version in the setup...cable box menu of the cable box. My version is 5x, I guess 6x may or may not have it enabled, 7 definitely does.

The upgrade firmware over the cable and you will have no idea when it happens, you just keep checking the menu.

The cable box has an optical out and you want to use that to connect to your receiver because some HD is 5.1.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your responses! I am just a little confused though (sometimes this seems to be a continuous state :rolleyes: )

For clarification: Do I run the component cables (or DVI cable, if DVI is available here) from the STB to the TV, in addition to running the audio cables AND the optical cable to the receiver?

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by OakIris
For clarification: Do I run the component cables (or DVI cable, if DVI is available here) from the STB to the TV, in addition to running the audio cables AND the optical cable to the receiver?
skip the audio cables - you only need the optical

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by RalphArch

skip the audio cables - you only need the optical
Thank you!

And thanks to you, jkohms and brundlefly76, for your help, too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.