AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im in market for HD and my Comcast cable is offering it but charging more for the HD box rental than the Digital box.A friend just connected with digital cable only to Comcast and said he got the Motorola box.Is that the same box I would get if I rented an HD box for my plasma? thaks Matt

·
Registered
28,064 Posts
No, Comcast has two separate boxes. The standard digital box has only composite and RF outputs and cannot receive the HD channels. The HD box (which costs a few dollars more per month) has component outputs and will receive the HD channels.

Both boxes are made by Motorola. The standard one is black and the HD box is silver.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mattg3
Im in market for HD and my Comcast cable is offering it but charging more for the HD box rental than the Digital box. A friend just connected with digital cable only to Comcast and said he got the Motorola box. Is that the same box I would get if I rented an HD box for my plasma?
The Motorola STB Comcast uses for HD is the DCT-5100. The standard Motorola digital cable STB's are the DCT-2000/2500 series.

But, Comcast also uses Scientific Atlanta hardware in some locations.

See the HDTV STB Synopsis for details.

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Josh and Ken,I should have known I could not beat comcast out of a few bucks a month

·
Registered
916 Posts
When I called Comcast about this last week, in preperation for getting a new HDTV, they told me there was no additional cost. Maybe they meant the service, but that's what they said... (I'm in Northern NJ, BTW).

Now, if I could get them to activate the built-in cable modem in the 5100, I can save a few bucks on that, and it'll actually be cheaper!

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by lmychajluk
When I called Comcast about this last week, in preperation for getting a new HDTV, they told me there was no additional cost. Maybe they meant the service, but that's what they said... (I'm in Northern NJ, BTW).

Now, if I could get them to activate the built-in cable modem in the 5100, I can save a few bucks on that, and it'll actually be cheaper!
To get the 5100, Comcast usually charges $3-$5 a month. It's a very good deal.

The cable modem is not functional on the 5100.

·
Registered
28,064 Posts
I pay $5 a month. Comcast only offers a very small selection of HD channels:

PBS - select programming

NBC - select programming

ABC - select programming

HBO - with appropriate subscription package

Showtime - with appropriate subscription package.

So basically I pay $5 a month so that I can watch Alias in HD.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.