AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I turned on my Replay today there was a message waiting for me. It turns out that Comcast decided to remove the Sci-Fi Channel from its analog lineup. Since I don't subscribe to a digital cable package, I can no longer use my Replays to record three of my favorite shows (Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis and BSG). Fortunately, I can still record them off my dish, but this really pisses me off! :mad:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
452 Posts
Join the club. This happened to me more than a year ago. Thank god for Poopli, which tided me over until I finally got an HDTV and a valid reason for digital cable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
744 Posts
Why not dump cable and go dish? I have price-compared my local cable company (Time Warner), DirecTV, and Dish Network every year. The breakdown always goes like this:


Cable$>DirecTV$>DishNetwork$


So...I keep sticking with Dish.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,463 Posts
If they dropped Sci-Fi from me (I'm in the burbs) I'd drop them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodMachine
Why not dump cable and go dish?
I keep cable for two reasons:


1) Local HDTV channels.

2) Analog cable is the most convenient source for my Replays. No extra STB's, no IR blasters, NADA. It simply works, and it works well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcrane
If they dropped Sci-Fi from me (I'm in the burbs) I'd drop them.
I live in Northbrook. Can Aurora be far behind?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
593 Posts
Cablevision just removed Gameshow network from its analog lineup and pushed it to digital only. Not any *MUSTSEE* programs, but I understand how you feel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,839 Posts
Isn't cable's goal to have every thing go digital in the coming months/year ?


I would not call it a screwing, I would call it the wave of the future. Then cable can call itself 100% Digital........Just like DirecTV & DishNetwork ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcrane
If they dropped Sci-Fi from me (I'm in the burbs) I'd drop them.


They've already announced that it was going to digital. They've also added analog channels in the 1000's to the channel line-up for the upcoming digital simulcast.


I don't know when they plan on dropping analog altogether, but the writings already on the wall.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jones07
Isn't cable's goal to have every thing go digital in the coming months/year ?


I would not call it a screwing, I would call it the wave of the future. Then cable can call itself 100% Digital........Just like DirecTV & DishNetwork ;)
I'm sure they realize one significant reason why people stick with cable over DTV or Dish is to avoid the set top box. If they don't realize that, they will be in for surprise. I forget the exact #s, but from the recent Comcast earnings announcement, about 30% of their subscribers are digital (and even those users probably have analog VCRs and TVs they use w/o STB)


The simulcast is definitely coming though, as that will not be so disruptive.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chain777
I don't know when they plan on dropping analog altogether, but the writings already on the wall.
Yes, writings on the wall, just like OTA analog :) Yeah, we know it is going to happen, but it sure seems to be taking a long time.


Honestly I think it will just as painful for them to shut off analog as it renders obsolete lots of VCRs which will never get an update to handle new STBs or don't even have IR blaster capability. I don't think everybody wants to pay $10-$17 extra per month to have a Comcast PVR, just to get crappier quality digital and more VOD services shoved down their throat.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts
Gweempose,


I have digital Comcast and all channels below 100 (which includes Sci-Fi here in Sac) work fine with a bare cable plugged into my Replay. No STB or IR blaster needed. Just in case you are thinking about it!


Geoman
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoman
Gweempose,


I have digital Comcast and all channels below 100 (which includes Sci-Fi here in Sac) work fine with a bare cable plugged into my Replay. No STB or IR blaster needed. Just in case you are thinking about it!


Geoman
But the way comcast do it here in Philly is they mix up all the channels so there is no way to use a pvr's epg with just a bare cable plugged into your Replay/Tivo. You NEED their analog or Digital stb either way. I wonder how many other areas are the same.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,166 Posts
If you were a cable company and you wanted to get people to subscribe to your premium digital service, which channel would you move? The Sci Fi Channel or Local Access Channel 7?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jones07
But the way comcast do it here in Philly is they mix up all the channels so there is no way to use a pvr's epg with just a bare cable plugged into your Replay/Tivo. You NEED their analog or Digital stb either way. I wonder how many other areas are the same.
That issue has already been addressed, here's but one of the two solutions:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...45#post1375445


Note that this will not help you with digital channels, for those you will always need a set-top-box.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
477 Posts
I am in Horsham (Phila. northern suburb) and I have four 5040's connected directly to Comcast analog cable (used to be Adelphia before the big customer swap). The program guide matches the actual lineup perfectly. I do not have any Comcast STBs. I do have a Samsung SIR-T451 connected to one of them for over the air HDTV recording in SD when I can't be home to watch a race live. I don't like recording races because I almost always hear who won before I can watch the recording.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaysideBas
That issue has already been addressed, here's but one of the two solutions:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...45#post1375445


Note that this will not help you with digital channels, for those you will always need a set-top-box.
Wow a blast from the past :p


I'm not a comcast customer for right now. Their new HD-stb policy pissed me off and I had to walk. But when I was a customer having a stb was no big deal for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadjones99
... join poopli and just download those shows from other people!
Poopli is one of the main reasons I prefer to record stuff on my Replays instead of one of my Dish PVR's. I like to share shows whenever I can. I can't tell you how many episodes of BSG I have sent to people.


I don't know about the rest of you, but I hate STB's! The last thing I need is another component taking up space in my already overflowing rack of gear. Plus, I'm not a big fan of digital cable in general. My analog signal comes in pretty strong and it actually looks better than the digital channels. I guess Comcast just compresses the digital channels too much. I have no complaints about the HDTV channels, however. I've been using a CableCARD to receive them, and I must say that they look fantastic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrecks
If you were a cable company and you wanted to get people to subscribe to your premium digital service, which channel would you move? The Sci Fi Channel or Local Access Channel 7?
The funny thing is that The Sci-Fi Channel's move to digital may in fact be just the motivation I needed to get one of Comcast's HD PVR's. I've been debating it for a while, despite my hatred of STB's, because it would be nice to have the ability to time shift HD. Now that my trusty old 56" Zenith Inteq has recently crapped out on me, I'm going to be buying a new set for my main home theater in the basement. It would be a shame to buy a new state-of-the-art HDTV and not feed it HD programming as often as possible. What I'd really like to see is a Replay with CableCARD compatibility. Hopefully one will arrive by Q1 '03. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose
When I turned on my Replay today there was a message waiting for me. It turns out that Comcast decided to remove the Sci-Fi Channel from its analog lineup. Since I don't subscribe to a digital cable package, I can no longer use my Replays to record three of my favorite shows (Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis and BSG). Fortunately, I can still record them off my dish, but this really pisses me off! :mad:
eh just upgrade to digital and use the digital cable set top box. Your replay will control it fine.


I wish Cox in SD moved SciFi to digital. Due to the horrible quality of the 5k series tuner, The picture quality is better recording digital from my set top box using S-Video.
 
1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top