Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Bottom line if you are reading this then you have a degree of passion/patients that will put up with a certain amount of flaws in order to receive HD.

As previous posts say, the intallers are probably handed a sheet and told to go and deploy. Nothing more. Is this right? Of course not HOWEVER the deadline to deploy and the time to adequatly train technicians is obviously in favor of just DEPLOY. So be it...

As another user posted, Have them hand you the box. They have no business touching your extremely expensive and complex setup. Let them work out the connection logistics and have a viable connection to all your other tvs, and finally the most important one.

Ok so no component cables. You probably have a set already just for the fact that they wont meet your standards. So.. Supply them. If you do not have any, get some in preparation

Yes, it will cost you 20-40 bucks for this haphazard installation but this is the way it is. Comcast is going to do nothing right away. So get it installed, see for yourself how it is, and then make a judgement call on whether or not you will keep it.

PQ/HD availability is really the key. Give them a chance to prove they are going in the right direction, even though it is not the correct way to start

God knows we all have been through HD nightmares. Lets see what they bring to the table

I am going to gamble in saying we will see a hell of a lot more HD emerging out of cable than we do with Directv.

This is a good thing fellas. Lets see what they have to offer

rbaldwin

·
Registered
432 Posts
rb,

You're not looking at the big picture (no pun intended).

This is a commercial rollout of some very compelling technology and it must evolve QUICKLY from its current "Gee, I don't know" mode to a "No problem - can do" status. I think everyone that has undergone the "procedure" should offer his/her opinion of what could have been done better. Rather than "Stop complaining", Comcast should "Start listening" and that can't be done if we don't criticize the process. Your POV reflects that of an early adopter and is inappropriate for widespread deployment of HD over cable.

I do agree with Comcast's apparent policy of installing the 5100 in a standalone mode. They're in a no-win situation should they attempt to integrate the 5100 into our varied and complex AV setups. Component video to the tube, L/R audio to the TV's speakers and they're outta there. Fine with me.

Ausitn

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Williak,

Your point is well taken. And yes they should be LISTENING and doing all that they can to make this a smooth rollout.

In regards to early adopters.. Well it has only been 2 days since they began the rollout! So I consider this early adoption, however, you are exactly correct about this being unacceptable to the masses.

Unfortunatly this seems to be Comcasts game plan right now - baptism by fire.

But maybe we should give them a little time to work out the bugs in the deployment

rbaldwin

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well, in Knoxville, TN, where it has just become available, it is not even an option to have a tech install it. I was instructed it is only DIY.

I'm amazed that there is only a $4.50 charge for the box rental. I was equally amazed that you didn't have to subscribe to Digital cable. You can keep analog.

I'm still struggling with whether to go cable or switch to DirectTV for the Tivo integration. I asked Comcast when they were going to offer this they said in about a year.

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
I must have been lucky. Three installers showed up promptly, were pleasant, and seemed to know what they were doing. They brought along quality video cables, and had no particular installation problems in spite of the rat's nest of wire in my system.

In spite of the complicated wiring they just replaced the previous digital cable box with the HD 5100, leaving my other wiring intact for HTPC, AV Receiver, VCR's, switchbox, bypassing Tivo with analog splitter, etc.

Considering I was on the early beta and how new all this is I was quite impressed. And the darn thing works.

I'd frankly be more concerned with lobbying them to get more channels. Installation is just (hopefully) a one time thing. One way or another it get's done and working and then you can use it for years. (with HBO-HD and without the darn rotor antenna)

- Tom

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.