AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Comcast installed the Moto 5100 to my Panasonic CT-34WX52 last night. The installer did not connect my Tivo, so that was left to me. The problem - I cannot figure out a way to connect the Tivo so that I get audio signals as well as video. After installing the five component cables from the cable box to the TV, the cable box has the remaining slots open and available:

-audio in right (red)

-audio in left (white)

-an orange input that I cannot read the label of

-video in (yellow)

-video out (yellow)

-s-video

-optical

-rf coaxial

I can get video through the Tivo using the video out (yellow) or s-video, but this does not give me any audio (the "audio in" connections do not help). The only way thus far that I have been able to get both audio and video through the Tivo is using the rf coaxial cable. But I would prefer not to do this because the picture quality suffers and it means I have to go into my TV's setup menu anytime I want to switch from Antenna 1 (no cable box, no tivo but clearer picture) to Antenna 2 (cable box with Tivo). I'd prefer to use a higher level video connection - at least composite and preferably S-video. But I can't figure out how to get an audio connection between the cable box and the Tivo. I've tried virtually everything and nothing works.

Any ideas on how I should hook this up? Am I missing something? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
234 Posts
i cannot get tivo to recognize the 5100's remote.... thus i cannot turn the channel with tivo..

a possible solution is to just split the signal before you hit the 5100 and TIVO, and have tivo go out to another video in on the tv..... and just watch tivo when needed...

·
Registered
52 Posts
This is how I hooked things up to my system:

I ran the component cables to my tv

I ran the analog audio cables and the s-video cable to my tivo

I ran the toslink cable to my reciever

In the Tivo setup menu I choose "cable box" setup and choose Motorola as the company. I think the remote code is something like 10096 or 10006, what ever it is I have the Tivo use the fast mode and press enter after choosing a channel.

Everything works great now regarding Tivo. If I want to watch HD programming, I just have to change my reciever from the tivo setting to the set top box setting to hear digital audio.

Note though that I listen to everything through my receiver, I don't use the tv speakers for anything.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Durangojim:

You say that you ran the analog audio cables to your Tivo. My problem seems to be that the only two audio inputs that remain open on my 5100 are the two "audio in" inputs. I tried running cables from these inputs to the Tivo - but got no sound. It appears that I need available "audio out" inputs on the 5100, but I don't have any available on the 5100 (with 3 component video cables plus two audio cables running from the 5100 to my TV). Am I missing something? Please let me know.

Is the possible solution to split the audio out left right cables coming off the 5100 so that they go both to the Tivo and to the 5100? Is this possible? I have not seen such a splitter (as opposed to an RF coaxial cable splitter) but I assume such a thing exists.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Quote:
Everything works great now regarding Tivo. If I want to watch HD programming, I just have to change my reciever from the tivo setting to the set top box setting to hear digital audio.
durangojim.....as a TiVo owner and AT&T Broadband/Comcast HD hopeful here in the SF Bay area, I have a question that hasn't been answered to the best of my knowledge...

Are the 5100's 1080i HD component outputs and the 480i S-video outputs active at the same time?

In other words, does your TiVo ALWAYS get a 480i video signal through the S-Video cable regardless of the broadcast type you are watching, be it an HD show or 480i traditional NTSC broadcast?

I formerly had a Toshiba DST-3000 (since returned) where the SD (S-Video) output had nothing if the receiver was set to output HD through the component outputs.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I run the analog audio cables from the audio out on the 5100, I have no audio cables running to my tv.

To answer the second question, both the component and s-video outputs are active at the same time, but I don't run the component signal through my reciever, only directly to the tv.

I do get a 480i signal regardless of what channel I am watching when using the s-video input.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
159 Posts
durangojim....

Thanks! That answers the question. Now all I need is for AT&T to get off their butt and provide HD signals here in the SF Bay area.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.